WTB Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H (preferably dead)

Bump, can trade for a dead Z97X-UD7 TH if you're looking to swap your dead board for a more premium dead board for some reason.

About two or three years ago, I started collecting DDR3 motherboards to add to my proxmox cluster. These boards go into systems with 120GB SSDs and 32GB of memory to serve as virtualization hosts for the plethora of passive income apps/services that payout through cryptocurrency. The earnings per vm is very low, but as with everything that's a grind, it's a numbers game. 1 VM barely earns anything, but 100 VM's? It becomes interesting. I got 10 pack of those SSDs for 11000 and I usually spend 8k or less on 32GB of DDR3. An entire node would have costed, at most, 25K. ROI for that kind of investment was 10 months when I first started, but with the cryptocurrency crash and inflation and everything else that's wrong in the world, ROI for a new DDR3 system is now a couple of years at best. Maybe it'll change sooner than later, no one really knows.

But I'm no longer pursuing DDR3 builds, it's really not worth the hassle of dealing with failing ddr3 hardware in 2022. Your Z77X is probably the easiest to repair of all the dead motherboards I have collected. However DDR4 platforms are now the sweet spot since basically anything sold today with four memory slots can handle 128GB of memory. That's 4x the VM's in the same physical space at about 2x the power consumption.

So while I did purchase your board to repair and it use it, now I'll be stripping it down and using it for wall art. I've also acquired a Z87 UD3H so all I need is a Z97 UD3H and I'll have three generations of Intel Z series DDR3 motherboards that'll look pretty cool on a wall, if only to see the progression of technology. Also because Gigabyte remains my preferred motherboard manufacturer.

About two or three years ago, I started collecting DDR3 motherboards to add to my proxmox cluster. These boards go into systems with 120GB SSDs and 32GB of memory to serve as virtualization hosts for the plethora of passive income apps/services that payout through cryptocurrency. The earnings per vm is very low, but as with everything that's a grind, it's a numbers game. 1 VM barely earns anything, but 100 VM's? It becomes interesting. I got 10 pack of those SSDs for 11000 and I usually spend 8k or less on 32GB of DDR3. An entire node would have costed, at most, 25K. ROI for that kind of investment was 10 months when I first started, but with the cryptocurrency crash and inflation and everything else that's wrong in the world, ROI for a new DDR3 system is now a couple of years at best. Maybe it'll change sooner than later, no one really knows.

But I'm no longer pursuing DDR3 builds, it's really not worth the hassle of dealing with failing ddr3 hardware in 2022. Your Z77X is probably the easiest to repair of all the dead motherboards I have collected. However DDR4 platforms are now the sweet spot since basically anything sold today with four memory slots can handle 128GB of memory. That's 4x the VM's in the same physical space at about 2x the power consumption.

So while I did purchase your board to repair and it use it, now I'll be stripping it down and using it for wall art. I've also acquired a Z87 UD3H so all I need is a Z97 UD3H and I'll have three generations of Intel Z series DDR3 motherboards that'll look pretty cool on a wall, if only to see the progression of technology. Also because Gigabyte remains my preferred motherboard manufacturer.
Intresting. Thanks for the detailed information. I too quite like GB products, especially their mid to higher tier ones. The one you bought lasted me a good many years before it died. Do share pics of the wall once it's ready. Cheers

I too would love to see your wall

hey bro do you have a working lga 1150 board?

Back