Linux Give me reasons for switching from windows to linux (Ubuntu)

star_lord

Recruit
Hi people

I am into coding and my friend always suggests me to switch to ubuntu.
So far I have not had any problems with Windows 11 and want you opinions on whether to switch to linux (Ubuntu).

You shouldn't switch because someone else tells you to. You should give it a try, if you like it, then switch; if not, then don't.

I use Linux for Dev purposes and often find it works faster than windows on the same hardware (I have it on dual boot on my NUC). I still use windows as the default as I'm too familiar with it and can't get some things to work on Linux the same way. I'm too old to switch.

Using Windows 10 in dual-boot config with Manjaro XFCE. Linux - No bloatware, telemetry, unnecessary logging, and efficient use of hardware resources. Use it sometimes, but most of the time stuck on Windows 10 due to Windows specific apps and familiarity. For programming, afaik, won't make much difference. Haven't tried Ubuntu for long, though.

Both OS serve their own purpose. They're not a replacement for each other. Find your use cases and then make a decision.
As said above by @Ir0nMerc you're definitely not ready. Looks like you've never used Linux before. If you switch, you'll be back to Windows within a day or two. Better try it in a VM first.

Linux has come a long way, it is not like the early days where getting it to work on your hardware required too much of an effort. There is nothing wrong in trying it out, it is just another way of getting things done. I use windows at work but almost work entirely with Linux at home.

Hi people

So far I have not had any problems with Windows 11 and want you opinions on whether to switch to linux (Ubuntu).

You shouldn't switch because someone else tells you to. You should give it a try, if you like it, then switch; if not, then don't.

I use Linux for Dev purposes and often find it works faster than windows on the same hardware (I have it on dual boot on my NUC). I still use windows as the default as I'm too familiar with it and can't get some things to work on Linux the same way. I'm too old to switch.
^^This!!! If you are happy with Windows 11, you continue with Windows 11. If you want to see how Ubuntu is, try in a virtual machine. I am a DevOps/Linux automation expert, Linux is bread and butter for me. I still use Windows 11 desktop and MacOS laptop. Because, however good Linux is on server side, Windows and MacOS are still the best operating systems for normal use (mainly due to software and integration with other devices).

Folks!!! the OP asking for reasons to switch to linux and you are giving reasons NOT to haha.

Instead of VM where you mostly will get poor performance and bad taste in the mouth don't forget there is this thing called "Live session" where you can write the Linux distribution ISO to a USB pen drive and boot directly in a running linux OS without having to install anything just to get a feel for it.

I will recommend you try my 2 favourite ones, elementary OS and KDE neon.

See elementary.io and neon.kde.org websites.

Instead of VM where you mostly will get poor performance and bad taste in the mouth don't forget there is this thing called "Live session" where you can write the Linux distribution ISO to a USB pen drive and boot directly in a running linux OS without having to install anything just to get a feel for it.
You're gonna get bad performance running an OS off a USB drive regardless. Additionally without persistent space he won't be able to try out installing software etc. on that session.

yup though only load times will be slow but the responsiveness of the UI remains while you explore the OS "features".

Of course depends on what kind of coding you can just use tools on windows or even install Linux under WSL windows subsystem for linux and be done with it heh.

Live cds work well as an initial demo. And we can install software but it will last only until reboot.

Linux has too many options for people initially but can be customized to what you want. Its free, and you don't have bloat/telemetry.
Although improved, I don't like windows update process. Even file system seems to be more error prone to me on hard resets.
Linux driver support has improved a lot, i remember have sound issues almost 2 decades back when i first tried PCQuest Linux, but these days generally everything works OOB.
Generally, we have decent alternatives to applications. Other than some games, i dont think i use windows for anything else now.

KDE is quite nice. Kubuntu is stable and easy to use and we get LTS. I do all of my work on linux (coding + deployment too), run some games on linux too. Game support has come a long long way due to wine/proton/steam. Obviously one try all the different flavors but i think just starting with one would be fine as usually actual difference is only in the internals. I used a rolling linux distro ( Arch ) for many years but eventually moved to Ubuntu for more stability and just to avoid having to do anything during upgrades.

But still for cutting edge stuff windows will be better. LTSC is tolerable vs standard windows.

I would say first try live cd. Then if you think its ok, take backup and then dual boot. Delete windows only once you can use linux 24x7. But dual boot is very good option too as you can fill gaps. My father used to use windows a lot, but these days has become comfortable on Linux.

Please try it in a Virtual Machine (using Virtual Box or VMware) before making a blind switch to Linux, and if Windows works fine for you, you don't HAVE to switch.

Hi people

U got the itch now. Just boot the Linux live from usb stick to have look and feel, coding tools available for u and how much ur comfortable with them.
Also, check how u can do general stuff like browsing and media consumption

Ur main objective is coding, not the OS ur writing it on. Dont waste the time in adapting to new environment unless it gives access to specific tools not available in windows

Anything to do with CLI - linux is better IMO.
IDE or GUI apps - I will still prefer windows.

So best(?) or both worlds - get a Mac. :cool:
JK. stick to what you are comfortable. Focus on the programming.

I am not sure why VMs are considered 'poor performance'. This used be the case of 2000s. We have made massive strides in virtualisation since then. I barely see people using servers as is. All our apps and websites run on VMs. We run compilations of our code on VMs running on laptop. Put that in full screen mode and you have proper Linux experience. Compared to this, Live CD is slow, is not persistent. Not to forget the fact that you have to have a usb drive to load live ISO to, run it from USB drive.

Live CD is okay for a quick glance, not meant for trying and understanding if Linux is good for one's requirement.

Linux and Mac users will always boo Windows just because they think they are coding and cmd experts and people who require gui are noobs, kids and what not hence will dominate on such factors.
But every OS has its own advantage.
For low resource consumption, coding and security, linux is the best while for anything else its windows.
For gamers and artists it windows first and mac primarily for graphics cum heavy cinematic editing.
Dont want to start any debate but respecting technology is something one should preach. Yes there will always be + and - ves but who doesnt have them?

Last edited:
It takes weeks or months to get adopted to any OS. Just don't give up trying Linux for a few days.
Remember, we are learning and using Windows from school time. And that's why we are used to Windows OS.
It's like Windows Hamare Khoon me hai.

On the other hand, Linux is a customizable OS, secure, fast, open source, and good gaming support. Some games perform better than playing on Windows

Reasons to switch to Linux/BSD :

1) Half-baked updates will not be forced on you.
2) You don't have to log into Microsoft's servers every time you turn your PC on.
3) You have easy access to the tons of open source software that most paid programs are derived from.
4) Since you're coding, you have access to the software stack that your web servers will be running on.
5) You care about privacy, and don't want your computer constantly sending telemetry data to big corporations.
6) You're more interested in getting the job done, than in looking at pretty animations.
7) You don't want to worry excessively about viruses, trojans and other malware.

I've been running Linux exclusively for about 15 years. Except for the initial setup (on Debian, which used to not include proprietary drivers), I haven't faced any hiccups that required me to do any trouble shooting.
I prefer KDE to the Windows interface.
Most programs have a Linux version. If not, you'll have to find and get comfortable with an open source alternative.
Once you've got your work flow set up, you'll stop caring about which OS you're running, as long as it's stable, and doesn't get in your way.

Most people learn operating computers via Windows but expect that experience to miraculously transfer to Linux and complain when it is not seamless.
This cognitive dissonance also extends to hardware. People don't expect MacOS to run perfectly on hardware certified for Windows, but do so for Linux.
Linux has come a long way since the early 2000s. PopOS, Fedora (Nobara) offer a good daily driver experience, Proton offers a good gaming experience, updates are seamless, filesystems such as BTRFS are much better than NTFS, privacy and security is worlds apart. But, its GUI experience sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Operating system is tools like any other, there are pros and cons to each and you should choose the one that helps you complete your intended goal / work the best. Since you mentioned you are into coding - the most important skill for any programmer is the ability to adapt - to new codebases, new languages, new platforms tools and paradigms. Look at what you can learn, how you can build a model in your brain to distill concepts and transfer them where needed. Don't be afraid of trying new things and don't fall for tribal wars making one tool your identity.

Back