Linux Give me reasons for switching from windows to linux (Ubuntu)

Reasons to switch to Linux/BSD :

1) Half-baked updates will not be forced on you.
2) You don't have to log into Microsoft's servers every time you turn your PC on.
3) You have easy access to the tons of open source software that most paid programs are derived from.
4) Since you're coding, you have access to the software stack that your web servers will be running on.
5) You care about privacy, and don't want your computer constantly sending telemetry data to big corporations.
6) You're more interested in getting the job done, than in looking at pretty animations.
7) You don't want to worry excessively about viruses, trojans and other malware.

I've been running Linux exclusively for about 15 years. Except for the initial setup (on Debian, which used to not include proprietary drivers), I haven't faced any hiccups that required me to do any trouble shooting.
I prefer KDE to the Windows interface.
Most programs have a Linux version. If not, you'll have to find and get comfortable with an open source alternative.
Once you've got your work flow set up, you'll stop caring about which OS you're running, as long as it's stable, and doesn't get in your way.
Copy pasted from 1998? I was literally laughing at these points. Bhai, I use all three OSes and this is really funny. Felt like I was watching that uncle talk about cloud data.

Linux and Mac users will always boo Windows just because they think they are coding and cmd experts and people who require gui are noobs, kids and what not.
I use both. I do have some irritation with the direction windows has gone, but that has nothing to do with Linux.
We have command line tools in both os. We have GUI in both OS. Linux offers customization that windows generally does not. Windows can have applications and some cutting edge stuff in games that linux does not.

Maybe 20 years ago you may have had a point but to say that you need to be a coding/cmd expert to use Linux today is misplaced.
KDE/Kubuntu is great DE and comes with plenty of applications. I only use commands sometimes because i am used to it but its not mandatory. I type this on Firefox + Linux. Steam is on Linux etc etc

Anyway, i guess what IronMerc said was right. If OP wants to experiment than do it. But since you are happy with one thing, stay with it if you dont feel like making an effort. Someone used to only Linux would also have to make significant effort to move to windows. Just beware that people can have a lot of biases, best to decide/judge for yourself.

Last edited:
I have been using Linux since the time of Knoppix live CD. Used Fedora for many months. Then I was daily driving Solaris (it's unix) for half year. Current have ubuntu full time installed in WSL from couple of years. Shell experience is better than ms cmd, I agree.

Though I won't agree that linux is more customizable than windows especially in UI. It's not a fault of windows that its regular users are noob. Windows has a massive-supermassive ecosystem of customizations and modding. Things that take couple of minutes to do in Windows might take 20 days for linux. I use many tools to modify the windows to my likes. I use the whole system like VIM. That won't be easily possible with the linux.

Windows has its faults but the massive ecosystem makes up for it. I'm talking about desktop experience only. I have a couple of cloud instances running on linux. I wouldn't install windows there. lol

I have been using Linux since the time of Knoppix live CD. Used Fedora for many months. Then I was daily driving Solaris (it's unix) for half year. Current have ubuntu full time installed in WSL from couple of years. Shell experience is better than ms cmd, I agree.

Though I won't agree that linux is more customizable than windows especially in UI. It's not a fault of windows that its regular users are noob. Windows has a massive-supermassive ecosystem of customizations and modding. Things that take couple of minutes to do in Windows might take 20 days for linux. I use many tools to modify the windows to my likes. I use the whole system like VIM. That won't be easily possible with the linux.

Windows has its faults but the massive ecosystem makes up for it. I'm talking about desktop experience only. I have a couple of cloud instances running on linux. I wouldn't install windows there. lol
Well said. I prefer windows or MacOS for laptop and PC and I literally hate Microsoft tech stack on servers/applications. Everything is designed around click click click. I saw the harrowing experience of devs who integrated MS CRM stack. It was and is a clustermess. I hate how complicated the APIs and integrations are compared to Atlassian stack. Not to forget that they are still way behind something like GHE and Bitbucket in features (ADO).

Well said. I prefer windows or MacOS for laptop and PC and I literally hate Microsoft tech stack on servers/applications. Everything is designed around click click click. I saw the harrowing experience of devs who integrated MS CRM stack. It was and is a clustermess. I hate how complicated the APIs and integrations are compared to Atlassian stack. Not to forget that they are still way behind something like GHE and Bitbucket in features (ADO).
I don't think anyone is using windows servers these days (except some govt websites). Why would someone torture themselves like that.

I don't think anyone is using windows servers these days (except some govt websites). Why would someone torture themselves like that.
Windows Server is used in a LOT of places including banks, almost every organization for Active directory, User management, resource management (such as file and print servers), DNS, DHCP, RD Gateway etc.
It's extremely critical Operating system and widely used.

OT: This discussion is now going in a general direction and OP hasn't even replied once. :D

I have used to Windows, Linux and Mac. I think Mac is sweet spot between the two with great GUI. I would suggest go for Mac but if you can't, go for Linux.

As someone who is learning to code, one of the best advise I ever got was don't learn the programming language but focus on learning computers. Not being afraid to think in low level stuff. And Linux made it really easy for me to understand this. Yes it takes a lot of patience but being able to see and change things on my own, the open source community etc everything makes it worth it.

Dual boot and go back to windows for your regular day to day stuff but playing and tinkering with computers I believe Linux is best at this.

Windows Server is used in a LOT of places including banks, almost every organization for Active directory, User management, resource management (such as file and print servers), DNS, DHCP, RD Gateway etc.
It's extremely critical Operating system and widely used.

OT: This discussion is now going in a general direction and OP hasn't even replied once. :D
ADO and Dynamics are new big thing now in corporates. These run only on windows servers
I clearly lack the knowledge of the stuff that's used for administering at commercial / enterprise level. As an outsider, I only knew windows server was being used to manage swarm of windows nodes.

I clearly lack the knowledge of the stuff that's used for administering at commercial / enterprise level. As an outsider, I only knew windows server was being used to manage swarm of windows nodes.
Microsoft is making a massive comeback in corporate sector. Azure is the reason they stopped asking money for every Windows version.

I am using Windows 11 and Debian Sid extensively. I won't switch to a Linux distro as my primary driver until they allow me to watch 4K Netflix videos (DRM), have a comparable option to WinHello (which I use to unlock my devices and my password manager), and improve their security. Windows, with features like UAC, VBS, WDAC and various Exploit Protections is currently a generation ahead of any Linux distro in terms of security.

Windows, with features like UAC, VBS, WDAC and various Exploit Protections is currently a generation ahead of any Linux distro in terms of security.
Aren't the protections made available because Win can be exploited using these "features" specifically in the first place ?

Aren't the protections made available because Win can be exploited using these "features" specifically in the first place ?
TBH any OS with enough userbase is a motivation for exploits.
Linux has comparatively very less userbase and hence the lack of motivation to exploit it. It's not that it can't be exploited.

Linux has comparatively very less userbase and hence the lack of motivation to exploit it. It's not that it can't be exploited.
I was referring to the specific "features" named above like VBS which actually provide a easy gateway to exploits in the first place.
Of course any OS can be exploited but Win did not really have to make it so easy, did they ? And to call them as features .. sigh

I don't think this is true anymore. A vast majority of servers run on Linux and exploiting servers is going to give you far more data than a bunch of regular machines. So the incentive to exploit Linux is far more now.

It happens only on windows where you write a virus and then sell as “anti” virus. Lol. But then, i still say if you want to play games and the code some stick to windows and vscode. People were asking why i dont code in vi and use vscode. They think coding in vi gives you bragging rights but it is just too dumb. Only if they had better intellisense kind of thing for vi. Btw, I consider myself an advanced user of vi.

Windows, with features like UAC, VBS, WDAC and various Exploit Protections is currently a generation ahead of any Linux distro in terms of security.
Wow, for the first time on the internet I have seen anyone making this claim. Even Windows' most ardent supporters agree that Linux is more secure.

I don't think this is true anymore. A vast majority of servers run on Linux and exploiting servers is going to give you far more data than a bunch of regular machines. So the incentive to exploit Linux is far more now.
Yes, there is more incentive to exploit Linux of course BUT that's not how a hacker's mind works.
You see, it's far easier to do phishing and/or social engineering attacks and exploit end-users into handing over the control to malicious actors.
To achieve that you would want to target a platform where most of the userbase is so your chances of success are higher.

More than 90% of the users even in corporate world use Windows devices. They access any Linux based system over SSH or VDI etc. I can bet more than half of these employees keep credentials to these servers in plain text files on their Windows machines.
Now tell me why would a hacker waste time to bypass or work around the Security infrastructure of the company when they can just exploit the user into giving them the control?

It's super easy, you spam the company's domain with a phishing Email and hope at least one of the employees will fall for the trap. They download some attachment and run a small payload. Boom! You got access to everything the employee is in control of and additionally you could possibly exploit more when you have access to their network already including aforementioned Linux servers.

So as I said userbase matters because that's how your chances to exploit will increase.

Yes, there is more incentive to exploit Linux of course BUT that's not how a hacker's mind works.
You see, it's far easier to do phishing and/or social engineering attacks and exploit end-users into handing over the control to malicious actors.
To achieve that you would want to target a platform where most of the userbase is so your chances of success are higher.
Yeah, exactly. Hacking into servers need far greater skill and efforts than phishing people.

Also there's no guarantee of success when trying to hack into servers. You might just hack into a honeypot or a server full of testing/QA sandboxes so all the efforts have gone to waste.

Back