Going to one of the poorest country and changing the lifestyle

All things apart, why are you guys calling racquets as bats. Or am I missing something.
Mosquito nets are only good if one doesn't have the habit of getting up at night. Allout is what saved our lives throughout Hostel life.

It a lame term freely used countrywide. If you ask for racquet you will be sent to some sports shops for buying badminton or a tennis one.
I use this racquet to killa almost any insect be it spider, cockroach, beetles, flies and whatever unknown comes in my terrotory... In fact this year we killed just 20% mosquitoes but 80% other insects using this bat.. Just fry it baby..

Started packing slowwwwly...will carry absolutely minimal stuff. Our predecessors are kind enough to leave almost everything.
They are leaving 3 years behind with 2 backpacks, we are going in with our 2 ( both can carry a small adult inside them!!) biggest ones.
I'm not even carrying much clothes... planning to go with completely African fashion ( whatever it is) and grow dreadlocks.
Still undecided about audio gear, camera, lenses. Oh! I have decided on an iPhone pro max 12 ( yet to order..as it's still not available for order online from apple.cz) due to the battery life.

I'm simply spellbound by your Google skill!! Yes, we knew about it, but thought it to be pre internet era news.
Sadly those are possibly not available anymore.

I'm simply spellbound by your Google skill!! Yes, we knew about it, but thought it to be pre internet era news.
Sadly those are possibly not available anymore.
I was actually searching for mosquito netting window (aluminum) fabrication in my area when this was one of the links!

“There is no future for our children there. We are killing the future of our children since what we are using is catching almost everything. If we left them, our children would have used fishing hooks and be able to catch fish. But, we are depleting all of that.” (Community Leader, Machinga)

Several women from Machinga explained that when ITNs are used for fishing, the small mesh catches everything, including juveniles and fish eggs. This has negative consequences for both the environment and the fish supply. One woman stated,

“It’s true, that way they are destroying the environment, mosquito nets catch all the fish. Big fish lay its eggs on the shores not in deep waters. So when fishing this way all the juvenile fish are captured by the net.”

Another reiterated that fishing with mosquito nets

“kill juvenile fish that could have been killed in the future when the fish grows big".

hello red dragon , good luck with your new adventure. i was reading all your other posts and love to share my thoughts.

regarding mosquito, when i lived in Australia, i was told in aboriginals culture they burn coconut shell and the smoke will repel the mosquito. its easy and healthier than this mosquito coils.

Also for food posion i use activated charcoal powder made from coconut shells. works like magic in 15 - 30 min.

That's a cool song...good idea... we're kind of tired and sleepy...the goddamn packings...never seem to end...we will be looking like walking talking North Face commercials...while going to Africa!!

Last edited:
That's a cool song...good idea... we're kind of tired and sleepy...the goddamn packings...never seem to end...we will be looking like walking talking North Face commercials...while going to Africa!!
When exactly are you going and how much in advance do you start packing?!

@codelad thanks. You managed to get take on me (almost 3 days now) out of my head and Africa into it now. I think there's something seriously wrong with me lol. Btw i don't really listen to music these days. When i say a song is buzzing around in my head i literally mean that. Sometimes the quality is pretty hi-fi too!

Also i hear it as 'i guess it rains down in...' and 'million men on Mars would ever...'

We will be going to Vienna on 17th..from there... possibly within 4/5 days..after the necessary clearances from HQ.
Had to pack early as we will be going to Kosice on 14th to drop the kid with his grandparents, run some errands at Bratislava...
Usually I leave everything for last minute and don't really carry anything except a small backpack within Europe. But thought packing is a better idea than listening to Len's nagging about why should we work in medical schools till we grow old and build a larger home with some more kids instead of my escape plan.

Last edited:
Wow just a few days left then. All the best man.
Thanks mate. Deep inside I'm scared ( it's a very volatile place and basically anything can happen..but the team posted there is possibly the most dependable one WHO has, it's considered one of the most difficult posting in our line of work)

@red dragon Apologies for the diversion.

.. @codelad thanks. You managed to get take on me (almost 3 days now) out of my head and Africa into it now. I think there's something seriously wrong with me lol. Btw i don't really listen to music these days. When i say a song is buzzing around in my head i literally mean that. Sometimes the quality is pretty hi-fi too!
It's funny, but was totally hooked to Take On Me and Winwood's Higher Love (which to my ears typifies the signature 80s synth sound like no other), not too long ago.
Also i hear it as 'i guess it rains down in...' and 'million men on Mars would ever...'
Wish you had one for "... frightened of this thing that I've become." (shudder to hear it, every time).

Back