Good OFR Heater

You should make the money back over the years and anyway you need an AC up north. Why not get a two-in-one?
Didn't know these things existed. Back in the days I remember Voltas selling hot and cold ACs which I guessed used heating element. I'll have to research on the efficiency though. I don't think it'll be cheaper to run than OFR. In a well insulated house the power consumption of the OFR should be much less.

I don't think it'll be cheaper to run than OFR.
He says the OFR consumes 2.5x more energy to maintain the same temperature as the heat pump. He hasn't done a measurement though.

He's in Delhi so the walls are not insulated.

In a well insulated house the power consumption of the OFR should be much less.
As would the heat pump but nobody has well-insulated homes here since it gets so hot in the summer.

The winters here are mild so the heat pump works.

The upfront cost will be more of course and it's in a fixed location.

Do people wheel those things around the house from living room to bedroom every day ?

How do we know Morphy is made by Bajaj?

Fan consumes 400W extra and is meant for initial quick heating only.
Bought it for a new born infant hence didn’t want to go for electric blankets. Fan as far as I can see is not needed so far let’s see if need arises in January when winters are at peak.

I had a discussion with 1-2 a/c mechanics in different years, none of them wanted/recommended to get these dual mode a/c. I think there was a popular LG model on which the discussion was centered. Heard all sorts of negative things and less than stellar performance reports while skimming online. This was at least 4-5 years back so never gave them another thought. Btw these mechanics were also dead opposed to me opting for an Inverter a/c :dead:

This dehydrates unsafe to use whole night, unsafe for infants/old anyone, cheap though. No comparison to OFRs, trust me I've used all. (Trust me bro lol)
When you say unsafe what do you mean? fire hazard
I had a discussion with 1-2 a/c mechanics in different years, none of them wanted/recommended to get these dual mode a/c. I think there was a popular LG model on which the discussion was centered. Heard all sorts of negative things and less than stellar performance reports while skimming online. This was at least 4-5 years back so never gave them another thought.
What were the negative things they said? this is a 2019 model

It works for mild winters which is what we have here. That reviewer pretty much explained everything about it. Sizing has to be done properly taking into account heat load otherwise any unit will give you less than stellar performance. People usually undersize and then this happens. Each room is different. No one size fits all here so its easy to get this wrong. When in doubt always oversize but then people don't want to pay more.

So long as you get the installation done properly, and the lines vacuumed which isn't guaranteed then this will work like any AC.

Btw these mechanics were also dead opposed to me opting for an Inverter a/c :dead:
Maybe they were not qualified to service them. Non-inverter will be more expensive to run but cheaper upfront. In terms of TCO there is no advantage but you get a quieter product with more features. That is what you pay for.

These days most appliances you get will be inverter driven. No way to get good BEE ratings otherwise. The compressors are sealed as that is the best way to ensure efficiency. They cannot be maintained only replaced.

Last edited:
When you say unsafe what do you mean? fire hazard

What were the negative things they said? this is a 2019 model

It works for mild winters which is what we have here. That reviewer pretty much explained everything about it. Sizing has to be done properly taking into account heat load otherwise any unit will give you less than stellar performance. People usually undersize and then this happens. Each room is different. No one size fits all here so its easy to get this wrong. When in doubt always oversize but then people don't want to pay more.

So long as you get the installation done properly, and the lines vacuumed which isn't guaranteed then this will work like any AC.

Maybe they were not qualified to service them. Non-inverter will be more expensive to run but cheaper upfront. In terms of TCO there is no advantage but you get a quieter product with more features. That is what you pay for.

These days most appliances you get will be inverter driven. No way to get good BEE ratings otherwise. The compressors are sealed as that is the best way to ensure efficiency. They cannot be maintained only replaced.
Fire hazard + they tend to dehydrate users if used for long hours. One can't use them in a closed room overnight. I know some do it but it is not recommended. OFRs on the other hand has no negatives except big elec bills.

Dual ac is a scam. It does not work at all. May be Okay in Delhi where winters are not that harsh but don't even think of using it in colder places. I have two dual ac in my home. Both works great in summers but they fail in winters even at 10 degree ambient temperature.
In my opinion, an inverter ac is the way to go for maximum comfort especially at night. Dual ac should avoided.

Dual ac is a scam. It does not work at all. May be Okay in Delhi where winters are not that harsh but don't even think of using it in colder places. I have two dual ac in my home. Both works great in summers but they fail in winters even at 10 degree ambient temperature.
In my opinion, an inverter ac is the way to go for maximum comfort especially at night. Dual ac should avoided.
Yep, I have never seen anyone using it.

He showed it working (with measurements) at a lower temperature than that.

So which model of dual ac do you have and how big is your room?

Did you call up service? what did they say

Last edited:
He showed it working (with measurements) at a lower temperature than that.

So which model of dual ac do you have and how big is your room?

Did you call up service? what did they say
Mine is Lloyd hot and cold ac, 1 ton. Room size is fine because it works great in summers. I never kept it below 24 in summers and it supports upto 16 degree. Service guy came and did some temperature measurements. The ac was running at 30 degree and he was wearing muffler standing directly below the ac while saying "sir, sahi chal raha hai". Who can wear muffler at 30 degree temperature ?

Mine is Lloyd hot and cold ac, 1 ton. Room size is fine because it works great in summers. I never kept it below 24 in summers and it supports upto 16 degree. Service guy came and did some temperature measurements. The ac was running at 30 degree and he was wearing muffler standing directly below the ac while saying "sir, sahi chal raha hai". Who can wear muffler at 30 degree temperature ?
You said it was not heating when it was cold ie. 10 degrees. That is what my question was about.

When its hot, all good you told us.

Yeah, my dual ac says '-10 degree' while it is not effective even at plus 10. Initially I thought there might be some other issue but the ac works great in summers so everything should be working as expected.
^ THAT

Did you call the guy when it was cold and ask to explain what the problem

Service guy came and did some temperature measurements. The ac was running at 30 degree and he was wearing muffler standing directly below the ac while saying "sir, sahi chal raha hai". Who can wear muffler at 30 degree temperature ?
That is not warm enough. Assuming you mean the air coming out.

The LG in the review had air coming out at 50 degrees

So the question is whether your dual can push air out that warm or not.

Can we fix your two units now that weather is cold :)

Last edited:
Back