PC Peripherals Good photo printer for home use

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
A friend needs suggestions for a good photo printer for home use.
Preferably small, if possible portable.
Will be used for prints of important pics, sort of backup on paper.

i saw dis-assembly and working of this printer on discovery. dye sublimation by heat. how much does the printer and the toners cost? and how long do these last if not used much?

how much does the printer and the toners cost? and how long do these last if not used much?
The printer is about 5k according to the Canon site. Sis picked up a pack that had 3 x (cartridge + 36 4x6" photo sheets) for 1.5K. Works out to roughly Rs. 14/page. I'm not sure how long they last with little use, but they lasted atleast 6 months without any problem.

BTW there's an optional battery pack if you need it to be really portable.

A friend needs suggestions for a good photo printer for home use.
Will be used for prints of important pics, sort of backup on paper.
For photo printers you will need to check droplet size. 4pl is bad 2pl is okay and 1.5pl is great.
3 types of inks, dye based last a month but will never clog. Pigment based last 100 years but clog. Sublimation are for fabrics and not for paper use.
I would suggest Epson t13 (2pl) with original durajet cartridges or aftermarket pigment inks.:)

3 types of inks, dye based last a month but will never clog. Pigment based last 100 years but clog. Sublimation are for fabrics and not for paper use.
You have it mixed up.
The dye inks you're talking about are whats used in normal inkjet printers. Dye-sublimation printers apply an additional (UV/water resistant) overcoat layer, so they don't fade. And dye inks clog too, anyone who has left an inkjet printer idle for months will have experienced this ;). Dye-sub printing can also be used for fabrics but not exclusively - the Canon selphy does not support printing on fabrics at all and is meant only for photo paper. Pigment inks are used in higher-end inkjet printers and are as fade resistant as dye-sub prints with an overcoat, but resolution and droplet size becomes important since inkjets use dithering to represent different colours and this can be noticeable if you look closely and the resolution isn't enough. Also, if i'm not mistaken, dye-sub printers are used for digital prints by most photo studios :)

You have it mixed up.
The dye inks you're talking about are whats used in normal inkjet printers. Dye-sublimation printers apply an additional (UV/water resistant) overcoat layer, so they don't fade. And dye inks clog too, anyone who has left an inkjet printer idle for months will have experienced this ;). Dye-sub printing can also be used for fabrics but not exclusively - the Canon selphy does not support printing on fabrics at all and is meant only for photo paper. Pigment inks are used in higher-end inkjet printers and are as fade resistant as dye-sub prints with an overcoat, but resolution and droplet size becomes important since inkjets use dithering to represent different colours and this can be noticeable if you look closely and the resolution isn't enough. Also, if i'm not mistaken, dye-sub printers are used for digital prints by most photo studios :)
Actually, I am right. below is a cool video from Kodak about the pigment and dye based inks.

On the other hand sublimation inks are different, sublimation means change of the state from solid to gas upon heating. here, the sublimation inks are basically a type of pigment inks where when you heat the ink, it directly converts to gas. so you print a page in mirror, put it on a t shirt and apply heat. voila, you get a t shirt printed. again, for sublimation you use a special paper which doesn't absorb the ink so that the print is efficiently transferred to the cloth.

dye based inks don't clog. I have a t13 with dye ink at home.

coming to the purchase of the printer, I suggest Epson printers any day because:
1. Epson print heads use piezo technology to vibrate the ink molecules to print, unlike other printers which heat the ink. that means sublimation inks can be used only with piezo heads.
2. Lots of aftermarket cartridges, so total cost of ownership comes down drastically.
3. even if you use shitty aftermarket ink, it doesn't damage the printer head, because of piezoelectric head.

in op's case I would suggest that he buy a t13 with refillable cartridges. so, whenever he wants to print photos he should use original cartridges and for documents he should use aftermarkets.

on the higher range, Epson T60 is another good printer which has 1.5pl with 6 color cartridges. (6 color cartridges give better photo quality)

No offense, but some quick googling can save you a lot of embarassment. The Kodak ad is precisely what I was saying - Pigment inks are being used as a substitute for dye inks in some inkjet printers for longer lasting photo prints.

here, the sublimation inks are basically a type of pigment inks where when you heat the ink, it directly converts to gas. so you print a page in mirror, put it on a t shirt and apply heat.
Printing Method : Dye-sublimation
Paper : Dedicated paper
http://www.canon.co.in/personal/pro...t-photo-printers/selphy-cp810?languageCode=EN

dye based inks don't clog. I have a t13 with dye ink at home.
"Epson Stylusâ„¢ T13 is your perfect and customised desktop printing partner. Water, smudge and fade resistant prints with Epson DURABriteâ„¢ Ultra Ink"
"DURABrite Ultra Ink is not only an innovation in ink technology but the perfect partner for Epson Stylus printers for both home and office. The resin coated pigment particle provides a layer of protection that allows..."

1 : sublimation inks are basically a type of pigment inks where when you heat the ink, it directly converts to gas.
2 : piezo technology to vibrate the ink molecules to print, unlike other printers which heat the ink. that means sublimation inks can be used only with piezo heads.
Which one is it?

No offense, but some quick googling can save you a lot of embarassment. The Kodak ad is precisely what I was saying - Pigment inks are being used as a substitute for dye inks in some inkjet printers for longer lasting photo prints.

Printing Method : Dye-sublimation
Paper : Dedicated paper
http://www.canon.co.in/personal/pro...t-photo-printers/selphy-cp810?languageCode=EN
the ad is false advertising, and they are referring to coated photo paper. not some coating which is done by the printer while printing.
here is a small faq about sublimation printing. http://www.j-teckusa.com/faq.aspx

What I am telling here is from my experience of running a t-shirt transfer business with a friend for few months. trust me there is no such thing as dye-sublimation for photo printing.
"Epson Stylusâ„¢ T13 is your perfect and customised desktop printing partner. Water, smudge and fade resistant prints with Epson DURABriteâ„¢ Ultra Ink"
"DURABrite Ultra Ink is not only an innovation in ink technology but the perfect partner for Epson Stylus printers for both home and office. The resin coated pigment particle provides a layer of protection that allows..."
Yes, Durabrite inks are pigment inks but I did not say I am using Epson ink. I said I am using dye based ink. read aftermarket. again, dye based inks don't clog. pigment based inks may clog.
That's why I suggested that op can use original cartridges for photo printing.

Which one is it?
in simple words sublimation inks are to be used with heat press for textile transfer. pigment inks cannot.

btw, below is the reference images for how dye based inks and pigment inks look in bottles. if you look closely, the dye base inks look transparent where as the pigment based inks look opaque.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MaYbTpprJNI/TrqMGm9p1XI/AAAAAAAAAC8/sqdSBJijtM8/s1600/435069.jpg

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...-with-Sublimation-ink-for-Epson-photo-T50.jpg

^ Its not a color laser printer either :)

Edit: In case you're in doubt as to whether its a laser printer :
1. There's no laser. There's no laser class warning on the chassis
2. Its about 1/10th the size of a colour laser printer
3. There's no powdered toner being used
4. The power consumption peaks at 60W and it can even run off battery power. A laser printer spikes to 600W when printing.

the ad is false advertising, and they are referring to coated photo paper. not some coating which is done by the printer while printing.
@booo, trust me, i've seen the working of this canon selphy printer on deconstructed on discovery science. i have it recorded on dvr but cannot copy it and put it here due to copyright issues. the paper going inside the printer is plain paper. not coated. the ink is sort of gel like colourless ink. gets heated in fraction of second to gas and then it hits the paper and when it cools on paper you get that particular colour tone. this cycle happens for each of r,g,b colours. paper comes in and out 3 times automatically. end result is rgb photo. if paper is already plastic coated, how will gas permeate it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back