Laptops Good thermal paste for Hp victus laptop and if I should use it?

Hello guys,
Recently for one of the games my dark souls 3 my temp reached 97.

I was playing on external monitor.
Usually it never happens so high.

so I opened it up and cleaned it and now my temp as gone back to about 80-89.

I am not sure if I need thermal paste now but if I do which one should I order?
and also any guide how I can carefully apply it particularly on hp victus laptop.

Thank you.

I would recommend against it. The paste job in gaming laptops these days is quite decent.

If you were happy with the thermal performance of the laptop when it was new and if you are able to clean the dust from the fan and heatsink fins without removing the heatsink from the motherboard, then there is no need for a repaste.

Also, The fan ramp on the Victus is a bit slow. The temp can spike up to high 80s or early 90s but most of the time it sits well under that level. You can verify this yourself using HWiNFO (See the difference between average and max temps). This is perfectly acceptable and will not affect the lifespan of the CPU. It is designed this way to ensure that the fan behavior is not annoying to the user during bursty workloads.

I again noticed bit high temperature so I now plan to get this thermal paste as suggested by @FlyingVadapav https://www.amazon.in/Solutions-Ext...eywords=Gelid+Solutions&qid=1691328818&sr=8-4

but is this genuine? I hope they dont sell fake ones.

Also will this much be enough for both CPU and GPU( though my gpu stays quite cool.
Once open I have to use all right? otherwise these paste get spoiled right?
I would recommend against it. The paste job in gaming laptops these days is quite decent.

If you were happy with the thermal performance of the laptop when it was new and if you are able to clean the dust from the fan and heatsink fins without removing the heatsink from the motherboard, then there is no need for a repaste.

Also, The fan ramp on the Victus is a bit slow. The temp can spike up to high 80s or early 90s but most of the time it sits well under that level. You can verify this yourself using HWiNFO (See the difference between average and max temps). This is perfectly acceptable and will not affect the lifespan of the CPU. It is designed this way to ensure that the fan behavior is not annoying to the user during bursty workloads.
Btw I am not so savvy to understand the numbers.
Can you help me to check if it is within limits.
Here is screenshot of HWinfo64.
Let me know if any more info required .
I just finished gaming Dark souls 3 at it reached 95°C...
I don't know why it is not showing on this screenshot.

Thanks guys @FlyingVadapav and @StygianClaw for your help.

Attachments

• IMG20230806190958.jpg
    IMG20230806190958.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 90
I again noticed bit high temperature so I now plan to get this thermal paste as suggested by @FlyingVadapav https://www.amazon.in/Solutions-Ext...eywords=Gelid+Solutions&qid=1691328818&sr=8-4

Also will this much be enough for both CPU and GPU( though my gpu stays quite cool.

Thanks guys @FlyingVadapav and @StygianClaw for your help.
Your temps look fine.

Yep, That's a very good paste.
The link you posted did not work for me. I searched for the same paste on Amazon and it's sold by Appario. So, It should be genuine. Here is the link: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme
The 3.5g tube is plenty and can be used for repasting both of them multiple times. Since laptop CPUs don't have a heat spreader covering the die like desktops, you need very little paste by comparision.
Nope, you can just close it tightly after use and store it in a cool and dry place. I've used some tubes for years together. To know if a paste has become "spoilt", check if it has separated into some gunk and thin watery fluid.
The numbers look very good. In fact, it seems too low. Was HWiNFO running in the background the whole time you were playing?

Next time you play, try the following approach:
1. Run HWiNFO and open the sensors status window like before. Keep it running in the background.
2. Start your game and as soon as the gameplay begins, alt-tab and go back to the sensor status window.
3. In the bottom right portion of the window you will see a small timer showing how long the sensor data is being recorded. There is a clock icon next to it. Click on that to reset the timer and all min, max, and readings.
4. Alt-tab back into your game window and continue playing (15 mins or more should be fine).
5. Exit the game and now see your avg and max temps for CPU (Package temps, Individual cores), GPU, and GPU Hotspot. You can take a screenshot and share it here too.

Last edited:
thanks @StygianClaw .
Appreciate you explaining it nicely.
WIll do that and share the results.
@StygianClaw

Screenshot of the results.
Did exactly what you said.

Reaching 94°C and so..
Please note I am playing on external monitor through GPU( hdmi) with laptop connected to power outlet.

So I am guessing thermal paste is due.

Edit:

Just after posting this ...started playing a bit more.
And now the temperature is well within 75°C-80°C...almost all the time.

I don't know want exactly happen now. Maybe some background app or program thing is causing this issue.
Attach second pic too

Attachments

• IMG20230807104109.jpg
    IMG20230807104109.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG20230807114858.jpg
    IMG20230807114858.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Reaching 94°C and so..
Average temps are still fine though at around 81c-84c
So I am guessing thermal paste is due.
Worth a shot. But before opening it up, check if your particular model uses thermal pads or a viscous thermal paste for the other components in contact with the heatsink.

If it's normal pads, you can reuse them without any problem. Avoid touching them unnecessarily to reduce the chance of dirt or skin oils getting on them.

If it uses paste, ideally you would need to clean up the residue and repaste it with something like K5 Pro. You can try reusing it but there is some risk of the components not being in proper contact with the heatsink.

Last edited:
Average temps are still fine though at around 81c-84c

Worth a shot. But before opening it up, check if your particular model uses thermal pads or a viscous thermal paste for the other components in contact with the heatsink.

If it's normal pads, you can reuse them without any problem. Avoid touching them unnecessarily to reduce the chance of dirt or skin oils getting on them.

If it uses paste, ideally you would need to clean up the residue and repaste it with something like K5 Pro. You can try reusing it but there is some risk of the components not being in proper contact with the heatsink.
I am planning to cancel my gledid paste order.

I have suddenly seen temperature very normal now.
I think it maybe due to some background app running or something I am missing.
But I have been continuously playing and temperature very normal it seems now.
79-85°C.
I have ryzen 5600H which is suppose to go till 105°C. But ofcourse 90's and above start ringing warning bells.

EDIT:Update
I cancelled my Gledid order for now.

Actually 2 things i have noticed...One is usually I had few websites on google chrome which was minimized while game was running that pushed the temperature quite a bit. Yesterday chrome was closed and that helped .

Second there are some background app that do seem to push my laptop temperature even when game is not running. I remember when I first bought HP victus I had to go to end task and close Radeon ( related process) and that immediately brought my laptop temperature down. that issue seemed to go away with time.
But maybe it is back again and it just runs in the background sometime.

I will check and update on that too.
Yesterday while gaming the temperature hardly went over 90C infact was on average oif 80C most of the time.

Last edited:
Back