PC Peripherals Goodbye Pentium III

9 years back I bought my first computer and its the same computer I am using till now. So I have finally decided I better upgrade before my comp stops playing flash contents. This is not exactly an upgrade, rather a replacement for my existing setup. Here are my answers to the hardware template.
1. Q: What is your budget?
25-30K max.​
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  1. CPU - Intel Pentium III
  2. Motherboard - Gok (God only knows)
  3. GPU - NA
  4. RAM - 256MB SDRAM
  5. Monitor - 17" Samsung SyncMaster
  6. SMPS - The one that came along with the cabinet. :D
3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None. Will use the existing hardware as an additional 24/7 downloading rig.​
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  1. CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 620
  2. Motherboard - GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H , Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H (need other options).
  3. GPU - Not for now but will require in the near future.
  4. RAM - 1333Mhz DDR3 (unsure as to what brand)
  5. Monitor - will need atleast a 19"
  6. SMPS - gigabyte superb 460 (other options)
  7. Cabinet - Have no clue but should be all black.
  8. HDD - is there any possibility of a SSD HDD option?!
5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
  1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
  2. GPU - Unsure totally blank.
  3. Cabinet - I liked the Coolermaster cabbys but again feel free to give some more options.
  4. RAM - 4gb maybe
  5. Additional fans for the cabinet and CPU
But the rest of the hardware should survive for atleast another 4-5 years.​
6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai (suggest some dealers if you know any).​
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
NO
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
  1. Photo Editing (photoshop etc)
  2. Download rig, 24x7 operation
  3. Browsing
  4. Desktop Processing
  5. HTPC
  6. Gaming (might play AOE, quake III ... basically not much)
  7. Watching HD movies
  8. Lots of music
9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Unsure. Anything will be ok as long as it matches my requirements.​
10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
  1. Strategy - AOE, Warcraft
  2. Racing - Need for speed
11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage?
have never played in any setting above 1024*768 I guess atleast not in my present config.​
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
NO​
13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  1. Windows 7 64 bit
  2. Linux - Ubuntu (maybe)
Yikes that is one tough questionnaire renegade. I have prepared this after reading 20 -30 threads in the peripheral section and other reviews elsewhere. I hope my requirements are detailed enough. :hap2:

Processor: Athlon II X2 240 - 3k

Mobo : Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H - 5.9k

RAM: Transcend 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz - 5.2k

HDD: Seagate 1 TB - 3.8k

Cabinet: CM 590 - 4k

SMPS: Gigabyte Superb 460W - 2.2k

Monitor: Benq G2220HD 22" - 8k

Keyboard: Samsung Pleomax - .2k

Mouse: Logitech Optical - .4k

Total - 27.5k

Since you will use this rig primarily for downloadind 24/7 , Athlon II x2 240 will be more power saver than Athlon II x4 620.

as far as the processor goes I'm kinda stuck with the AMD Athlon II X4 620.

And the mobo Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H isn't that Micro ATX?

Will this mobo in anyway be a problem in case I'm going for a GPU later on...?

Edited version of anubis config.

Processor: Athlon II X4 620 - 5.2k

Mobo : Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H - 5.9k

RAM: Transcend 2GB DDR3 1333MHz - 2.6k

HDD: Seagate 1 TB - 3.8k

Cabinet: CM 590 - 4k

SMPS: Gigabyte Superb 460W - 2.2k

Monitor: Benq G2220HD 22" - 8k

Well i saw the prices of a SsD option it is out of my budget atleast for now. this come out to 30K. I can make it lesser by changing the harddisk option probably.

yes get the 500gb HDD for 2400

and invest some money on a good psu like corsair cx400 or the seasonic12II 380w ,

both are around 3k and 80 plus certified , since u wud be mainly using it as d/l rig , i wud suggest u to get the seasonic one coz of its higher efficiency even during idle times!

even save on the cabinet

think again do u really need that for 4k

cheaper options CM elite 310 for 1800/-

or elite 334 for 2400/-

The 240 runs significantly warmer than the 620, FWIW, and I think idle power is pretty much similar. In fact, the 240 may be slightly more power-hungry at idle due to the higher clock, and both will turn off cores when idling - so the higher clocked core is at a disadvantage.

I have aftermarket coolers on both my processors - the 620 idles at ~37 degrees under a CoolerMaster GeminII S, and the 240 hits about 45 degrees idle, 6 degrees higher than the Athlon X2 4000+ it replaced. The 240 is under a Scythe Shuriken in a Antec NSK2480 and some low power fans, so it's not the best thermal environment but the temps are still a little high.

I would second the suggestion of 4GB memory. 2GB is cutting it close for a multipurpose rig - I would back down to DDR2 and Sideport if DDR3 works out too expensive (though ATM prices are not very different).

I don't understand why you would need a CM590 (unless it's for cosmetic reasons). There's little point in spending 4K on a cabinet and being stingy about memory, so just get the extra already :)

Micro-ATX mobos may have issues with super-large graphics cards blocking the SATA ports or the expansion slots (or both). Ensure that you have sufficient clearance all around. I used the Asus M3N-78EM to hold a Palit Revolution Deluxe for a while (3 PCI slots). Couldn't use the PCI slots, but the board was well-designed so I still had one PCI-E slot free, and all the SATA ports were accessible just fine due to a very nice placement option. Much as I hate Asus for their service, these boards are pretty well laid out.

Ok so cutting down on the harddisk like Mohit says. And can use the extra on the PSU as you suggested. but which is better corsair cx400 or the seasonic12II 380w? Also going with lesser cost.

Thanks for the detailed info cranky. So 620 it is. My current PIII runs at 52 degree :|.

Ya CM 590 seems a costly option. So going with the CM 334 Elite. Ok RAM I will increase to 4GB I'll start off with 2GB the thing I don't have a problem with it. But I will do that after the initial purchase. It's kinda mental block my dad has about spending money on computers. So once I get the initial setup it wont be hard to hide another 2GB ;). Anyway no one else will open the cabinet.

seasonic is around 100-200 bucks costly but its good as it has higher efficiency when idle moreover its 80plus bronze certified, a notch higher than cx400 imo :p

i was in a similar dilemma since 2-3 days finally ordered the seasonic

ANALYSIS

1. EFFICIENCY was excellent. At the super low load of just 21.6W, it was already 65.4%. This compares favorably with the Corsair VX450W's 61% efficiency at the same power load. Most PSUs we've tested barely reach such efficiency at double the power output, but with the S12II-380, by ~40W, efficiency had reached 76.3%. The benchmark 80% efficiency was seen at about 70W. The peak of 84% was centered at about 200W, and >80% efficiency was maintained to full rated 380W output, as expected of a model certified 80 Plus.

Seasonic S12II-380 Power Supply | silentpcreview.com

bit-tech.net | Review - Corsair CX400W PSU

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/07/17/corsair-shows-why-budget-psus-aren-t-so-great/1

I was just reading the review of Seasonic S12II 380. It seems a better option than CX400.

Ok so it is settled then Seasonic S12II 380. :)

Thanks man.

Cranky what would be the suggested GPUs for micro ATX. GPU i'm definitely buying atleast within the next 3 months.

Single-slot short cards will work fine - the 5750 looks like it won't have an issue. anything longer will block off two SATA ports at least. Two-slot cards will block off 3 SATA ports, leaving only 2 usable. With a right-angled SATA plug you could probably wrangle out one more.

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Review - hosted by Neoseeker

At least, that's what I can see.

You're pretty much stuck with buying low and midrange cards with that board... Unless, of course, someone is using the board + a large card and can refute this - it's only a guess.

TDP

Athlon II x4 620 - 95w
Athlon II x2 240 - 65w

AnandTech: AMD's Athlon II X3 435 & New Energy Efficient CPUs: Killing Intel Below $90

Athlon II x2 240 consumes less power than Athlon II x4 620 in idle

ocizer said:
is that mobo available in india
i cant find it in hyderabad and not even in
Lynx Chandigarh - Largest Electronic & Computer Online Superstore In India
TheITWares - Buy Computer Hardware , PC Components , Laptop Computers - One Stop for all Gizmos!!
this is what i found with them
Gigabyte
GA-MA785GMT-US2H AMD785 + SB710 Chipset 7050 RS

Yes its available

Anubis said:
TDP

Athlon II x4 620 - 95w
Athlon II x2 240 - 65w

AnandTech: AMD's Athlon II X3 435 & New Energy Efficient CPUs: Killing Intel Below $90

Athlon II x2 240 consumes less power than Athlon II x4 620 in idle

Yes its available
thanks for the link. i have read that review already. But I'm more inclined towards the X4, because I think it will help me more, since I'm a photoshop/lightroom enthusiast. Ok since I can use my other hardware as 24*7 download rig. so this needn't be on that much time :)

I think cranky said that the X2 was warmer means more temperature i think. :huh:

Why are you showing me a link to a 240e? That is a very different processor from the 240 sold in India. Please get your facts right.

TDP does not determine idle power consumption or low-power usage, only full load maximum thermal envelope. Actually, TDP itself does not mean power consumption. It actually indicates heat emission - a 65 watt TDP CPU will emit a max of 65 watts of heat at full tilt.

There is a 605e X4 is that available in india. And thanks for the info about ATI 5750. Is it available in india if so any price info on these too plz.

IIRC the 5750 is ~8K, a little pricey IMO. Available with dealers on the forum.

Energy-efficient CPUs are the way to go if lower power consumption is your thing. For 4000 hours operation (~1 year, 11hrs/day), a 5 watt difference is not insignificant from energy point of view (though very small in your electric bill - 50 bucks a year maximum)

Seasonic 380W is excellent PSU. I am using the same and no problems till date.

MohitPreet said:
yes get the 500gb HDD for 2400

and invest some money on a good psu like corsair cx400 or the seasonic12II 380w ,

both are around 3k and 80 plus certified , since u wud be mainly using it as d/l rig , i wud suggest u to get the seasonic one coz of its higher efficiency even during idle times!

even save on the cabinet

think again do u really need that for 4k

cheaper options CM elite 310 for 1800/-

or elite 334 for 2400/-

Oh boy!

you are singing a different song these days, you used to swear by desi PSUs. now its all changed!

Beware, TE fever has finally got you:p

o yeah , it has finally got me :p

i went for the seasonic psu cause my pc remains on for most of the time, i dont know when i switch it off,

so why not save some bills ! :D

u come to my place , here only desi psu;s sells, nobody has heard of brands like CM . corsiar , seasonic, tagan :p

for 2-3 hrs a day usage even desi psu's r good, u dont spend so much on those

It is not about your place, even here in delhi/ncr and many main cities people have this thing in mind "Supply is not worth spending much Rs. 400-500 is adequate" Same people wonder why their PC crashes so often, why their hdds fail so much, why their elec bills are high, why their mobos blow without any obvious reasons, they stand in que to get seagate/mobo rma in nehru place, they end up spending money/time getting things replaced whatever they save on the psu not to forget the frustration involved in all this.

MohitPreet said:
o yeah , it has finally got me :p

i went for the seasonic psu cause my pc remains on for most of the time, i dont know when i switch it off,

so why not save some bills ! :D

u come to my place , here only desi psu;s sells, nobody has heard of brands like CM . corsiar , seasonic, tagan :p

for 2-3 hrs a day usage even desi psu's r good, u dont spend so much on those

its been 3yrs with my pc that is powered by a stock smps
from the zebronics cabinet
its good even for 24/7/30/12/365 use:eek:hyeah: and its still cool when we touch it

Back