Android Google Maps offline navigation update

Google finally woke up and updated maps to support offline navigation of areas stored offline. The latest update increases the area that can be stored offline (Upto 2.5GB) and adds support to search/navigate offline.

The update seems to be a staged rollout. I got the update this morning but still the offline features are the same as the old app even though the app changelog indicated that this update is for offline navigation. On further googling it this seems to be a server side switch + app update. Only company in the world to have a server side switch for an app with offline features. :banghead:

I now have the latest app but no offline features enabled. Has anyone got the options to store larger area and have offline navigation here in India??

I may switch to google maps from Navimaps and Here maps if this feature is offered. even after updates Here Maps aren't detailed.

I may switch to google maps from Navimaps and Here maps if this feature is offered. even after updates Here Maps aren't detailed.
Yes..google maps beats them both with regards to latest information and also lots of POIs. With the new features, it seems we can download entire states (if not country) and can supposedly control if the downloaded data must be updated periodically or not. I cant wait to start using it but unfortunately now new as to when it will be enabled

I got offline map days ago. Some screenshots:

Offline Maps appear under Your Places:

HuqBY7w.jpg

Maps expire in 30 days, you can update. Kolkata map is surprisingly low resolution in offlline mode, most small streets wont show up when zoomed in to close levels, google needs to fix this, I have plenty of space in my cell:

iyJwGPX.jpg

You can download new areas by selecting it, max area is fixed but it's quite big, fits entire Kolkata and some of the suburbs within the max limit, I remember on Nokia 5800 Express music I could download entire India map offline, with the resolution provided by google(15MB for kolkata), India can probably fit under 2.5GB, Google should bound us by map space requirement, not by area:

SAScwg6.jpg

Yes..google maps beats them both with regards to latest information and also lots of POIs. With the new features, it seems we can download entire states (if not country) and can supposedly control if the downloaded data must be updated periodically or not. I cant wait to start using it but unfortunately now new as to when it will be enabled
From my experience, no state will fit Google's area limit, not sure if this is a limit for India atm.

And no, it needs to be updated manually, even opening maps with internet connection won't update it(need to try in wifi mode).[DOUBLEPOST=1447622990][/DOUBLEPOST]
Google maps is far better that Navimaps, specially when you are trying to find that obscure restaurant that your friend talks about. Someone would have made a point of interest by now and you can see it.

From my experience, no state will fit Google's area limit, not sure if this is a limit for India atm.
And no, it needs to be updated manually, even opening maps with internet connection won't update it(need to try in wifi mode).
Thats what I am saying. You can see in your offline areas screenshot that it says we cant search or navigate when offline. We still "dont" have the updated offline feature enabled here. The app itself is updated, but google needs to enable it from their side too. It is enabled in US and some other places I guess. With the updated feature, we can download map area worth about 2.5GB (Current limit is somewhere around 700MB) and it will auto update once the 30 day limit is reached. Google talks about 60% of the world not having proper internet and they want to enable offline navigtion and they start with the US which is one of the most connected places.:banghead:

hey guys they have started rolling out offline navigation feature, its working in the area I had downloaded. the size is around 400 MB for a city with navigation.
Screenshot_2015-11-17-11-11-55.png Screenshot_2015-11-17-11-16-54.png

previously also it worked on my s3 as it showed old maps that were in cache without using net. now it seems we can download whole lot more. does it also allow to search places and get that navigation thing working too ????? which shows the blue route map on screen

previously also it worked on my s3 as it showed old maps that were in cache without using net. now it seems we can download whole lot more. does it also allow to search places and get that navigation thing working too ????? which shows the blue route map on screen
yes, now you can search and navigate to any place using this update.

Back