Google Nexus S is out

add gyroscope and NFC to the list.

Think i'm very happy with my Nexus One. Will wait for the dual core androids to show up :D

Yea seriously, the launch was quite underwhelming. Was expecting them to launch a dual core phone, but in the end turned out to be the same old SGS in a different shape. The only advantage is it'll run stock 2.3 and will get updates as soon as they are released.

Still im tempted, 529$ isnt too bad considering it comes with 16GB storage built in. Dual core droids are a few months away, and i suppose the next Nexus phone is 6-12 months away. But is it worth buying 6 month old hardware just for the promise of updates and strong dev support(look at the G1 and Nexus one). Or is it better to wait for dual core droids. Hmmmm, very confusing!

Edit: Forgot to add a point, the Orion chipset from Samsung is the one thats causing the most confusion in my mind. Dual core A9's and Arm Mali T-400 gfx. Worth waiting for?

Specs

Quad-band GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900

Tri-band HSPA: 900, 2100, 1700

HSPA type: HSDPA (7.2Mbps) HSUPA (5.76Mbps)

Wi-Fi 802.11 n/b/g

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Near Field Communication (NFC)

Assisted GPS (A-GPS)

microUSB 2.0

Display

4.0" WVGA (480x800)

Contour Display with curved glass screen

Super AMOLED

235 ppi

Capacitive touch sensor

Anti-fingerprint display coating

Size and weight

63mm x 123.9mm x 10.88mm

129g

Hardware

Haptic feedback vibration

Three-axis gyroscope

Accelerometer

Digital compass

Proximity sensor

Light sensor

Processor and memory

1GHz Cortex A8 (Hummingbird) processor

16GB iNAND flash memory

Cameras and multimedia

Back-facing: 5 megapixels (2560x1920)

720 x 480 video resolution

H.264, H.263 MPEG4 video recording

Auto focus

Flash

Front-facing: VGA (640x480)

3.5mm, 4-conductor headset jack

(stereo audio plus microphone)

Earpiece and microphone

Software noise-cancellation

Battery

Talk time up to 6.7 hours on 3G

(14 hours on 2G)

Standby time up to 17.8 days on 3G

(29.7 days on 2G)

1500 mAH Lithum Ion

Software

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

SunnyBoi said:
add gyroscope and NFC to the list.

Think i'm very happy with my Nexus One. Will wait for the dual core androids to show up :D
Wait for an announcement at CES, from you know who. The launch might be much sooner than you think :)

I liked the looks of the NexusOne more. How much RAM in this?

If nothing else, this would mean one thing. Future Android releases including Gingerbread would be much more optimized for Samsung built ARM Cortex based SoC's just like for the Qualcomm ones.

and it would also mean that similar galaxy S variants will be the 1st to get unofficial android updates even if samsung doesnt want to launch them officially.

nexus one still looks much hotter than this imo..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i guess we can finally expect notion ink adam to release within a few weeks if not delayed to Jan 2011 (CES)

NinByChoice said:
I liked the looks of the NexusOne more. How much RAM in this?
512MB ram. The phone adds nothing new to the market other than a NFC chip :(

No SD slot.

No 720p video recording.

No HSPA+ [anyways we dont use it]

Ram only 512 MB compared to 768MB of DHD and myTouch4G.

I feel myTouch4G is better than this specs wise. But has bad looks :(

Btw I ran Quadrant on myTouch4G last night with stock rom and lots of apps already installed. Gave me a score of 1781, which is not bad at all !

i'm getting dhd.

just need to find a friend in uk now :p

my plans of getting viewsonic g-tablet got ruined... notion ink better release asap... hope the expected $449 is for PixelQi variant and not the normal one.

I'm getting it, it's a fixed SGS, with 2.3. No, RFS, no Samsung's moviNAND, none of Samsung's proprietary crap. Replaced with ext4, and open source software stacks. Did I mention 2.3?

Another thing to note, I'm buying new phones pretty often. :p

Or rather there was too much of expectations from Nexus S. Nexus One was developed as a platform for developers to push Android. Mission accomplished. Now they are just trying to keep up with current gen phones if not ahead of them.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nfsnfs said:
I am skipping it . no FM :bleh: . Would like the 2.3 OTA though .
No FM.. ?? damn!

It's more to do with US, FCC & carrier nonsense than the phone itself. No American phones come with FM(might have hardware, but no software) but all European and Asian bound phones have FM.

SunnyBoi said:
Even the Nexus One did not have Radio. But my Nexus One has radio :p
it is not just yours, i think google enabled it over froyo :p

@superfrag,

it wont be too late until all that gets implemented on actual SGS both being almost identical.

Back