Less than 10K Google Pixel - Is it a good phone and should I buy?

bwsherpn

Recruit
Hey Guys,
I am looking into changing my phone. I wanted to hear some feedback on the Google Pixel phone has anyone had any experience with it?

Phones are good, battery is pathetic. They are clearly built with the American crowd in mind. You will have to charge it atleast 2 times per day if you rely heavily on mobile data or do intensive tasks.

Wait... Which pixel phone are you talking about? Is it even available for 10k?

Regardless of whichever Pixel you are intending to purchase, please be informed from a fellow Pixel owner (OG and P2XL) that, Pixel devices have a serious longevity problem. Their quality control is extremely poor and there are numerous reports of Pixels dying all of a sudden, all due to hardware issues (dead motherboard or corrupted NAND). So if you plan to use the phone long term, do not go for a Pixel will be my advice.

No comments about used ones at all, we all know how Indian people use their phones.

Unbelievable for such a highly rated and expensive phone. Of course the ratings are not considering longevity.
But looks like Apple is still on top Google is playing catch up.

Pixel is only good for pure google exp and camera which can somehow closely give a run to apple. Rest the phone has poorest of all batteries poor than even micromax.
Wonder why in todays world anyone should even buy pixel unless he is a brand loyal fanboy or a flasher.
Now most of the phone are coming with pure android variants and then there are custom roms who have even way better optimized pixel roms.

I think the photos taken by a friend's pixel are better than any iPhone I've ever seen. And the night shot is unbelievable. Speaking of battery I'm thinking of buying a spare battery for my asus 5z before it goes out of stock lol. I dunno why they make such big screen phones with tiny batteries.

Unbelievable for such a highly rated and expensive phone. Of course the ratings are not considering longevity.
But looks like Apple is still on top Google is playing catch up.
Actually they are not highly rated by the users, not at all. They are highly rated only by some reviewers. The phones are sold like in 6 or 8 countries in the entire world, not that people can actually buy them even if they wanted one. Also they discontinue the products within 6-9 months or so after launch, like you see P4 was already discontinued before even the 4a was announced and P4 is like 9-10 months old. A 800 dollar flagship, imagine that. They make a fraction of the Pixels, compared to an iPhone or Galaxy, as Google knows there is no demand. Not that QC is any way relatable to that, in fact, if anything QC should be better due to making handful of devices instead of plenty.

The stock android experience is sublime though, no phones can match it, and I mean other phones running stock androids themselves (Moto, Nokia etc). And the camera is insanely good, too good, that along with three years of update make people like me, whose first and foremost priorities are camera and user experience, fall for it. Now, even when I know for a fact I should invest behind another, I am still keeping an eye out on the 4a! But what can I do anyway, if Apple doesn't offer a discount on the iP11. Should really just get a cheap Moto or Nokia and forget about camera and live happily, but lets see whether the practical side of brain wins this time over the needy and dumb side Lol.

I
Pixel is only good for pure google exp and camera which can somehow closely give a run to apple. Rest the phone has poorest of all batteries poor than even micromax.
Wonder why in todays world anyone should even buy pixel unless he is a brand loyal fanboy or a flasher.
Now most of the phone are coming with pure android variants and then there are custom roms who have even way better optimized pixel roms.
I disagree with statements made by you on mobile getting frozen / board issue as I am using pixel 2 since 3 years now and counting, it is one of the most stable phone I have ever experienced in past 3 years it was auto restarted for only one time.
Talking about battery it has very small battery and it will drain out with the kind of application you are using also there are many optimization setting if you use it it wisely such a small battery gives me a complete day without charging.considering 1-2 hours hotspot 1-2 hours of social networking apps and 2-3 hours of calls and messeging.
Also I know that one of my friend use pixel for 4-5 hours of Facebook and youtube video and 1-1.5 hours of WhatsApp and 1-1.5 hours of calls and messeging.still there is battery till he reach back home.
Which is what best we can expect from a 2400 mAh battery.
Camera is beyond any Apple iphone as I have personally compared and was acknowledged by apple loyal users.
I suggest if you have any issue raise it with pixel support as there support is also amazing, they give a standby phone to use in case if your phone is picked up for firmware update or repairs.( Which I am sure is not even with the case with apple).

Though there are different experience for different users and how they use so I will not say you are wrong but yours could be one of a exception or may be mine could be :)

I disagree with statements made by you on mobile getting frozen / board issue...
Woah! Dude you are accusing me out of nowhere...I never ever said these things.
Board issue was highlighted by @jujuburi here
Post automatically merged:

I think the photos taken by a friend's pixel are better than any iPhone I've ever seen. And the night shot is unbelievable. Speaking of battery I'm thinking of buying a spare battery for my asus 5z before it goes out of stock lol. I dunno why they make such big screen phones with tiny batteries.
I bow down to pixels camera as they bought a revolution esp with the recent night-astro scenary features. Aprt from it its crap for me! Vanilla os is no more a big deal.

As for tiny batteries on large phones, its a total marketing strategy. Imagine if they offer aio features packed in one device who the hell will even bother to upgrade their phone within a yr or two?
If they dare launch a pixel phone with 4000mah battery I will lock it down for a good 5yrs.

But cos. these days want people to splurge on phone upgrades ever yr and waste their hard earned monies on these crap devcies. Hence they make it so confusing that a poor budget fella have to sell kidneys, loot atms or rob relatives to up his budget and settle for something but only for a short while when a new feature if announced overnight giving him tears again.... & ya this cycle continues...

See for this year... Did any worthy phones launched?? NO!

Last edited:
Woah! Dude you are accusing me out of nowhere...I never ever said these things.
Board issue was highlighted by @jujuburi here
Post automatically merged:

I bow down to pixels camera as they bought a revolution esp with the recent night-astro scenary features. Aprt from it its crap for me! Vanilla os is no more a big deal.

As for tiny batteries on large phones, its a total marketing strategy. Imagine if they offer aio features packed in one device who the hell will even bother to upgrade their phone within a yr or two?
If they dare launch a pixel phone with 4000mah battery I will lock it down for a good 5yrs.

But cos. these days want people to splurge on phone upgrades ever yr and waste their hard earned monies on these crap devcies. Hence they make it so confusing that a poor budget fella have to sell kidneys, loot atms or rob relatives to up his budget and settle for something but only for a short while when a new feature if announced overnight giving him tears again.... & ya this cycle continues...

See for this year... Did any worthy phones launched?? NO!

Totally agree that phones are being made to be disposed off in 2-3 years max. Add to that the fact that they're easily stolen or broken. Which makes it baffling that people would spend half a lakh to a lakh on one. That too without insurance. Automobiles are considered depreciating assets but even they are easily used for many years. Which makes mobiles the worst things to blow large sums of money on. But then again people with a lot of money have to blow it somewhere right?

But then again people with a lot of money have to blow it somewhere right?
But thats not the case right?
Even poor and strugglers wants to hold on to that apples and oneplus here in India. And this isn't going to get changed. They save every penny, might even starve, beg, borrow, steal to fulfill their desires. But then how much does it paids off further?
And even if one get hold off some sub 15k phone they immediately set target for next phone by saving more or otherwise. I think people should relax and give priorities and anxieties to more meaningful things in life than gadgets.
Its just like the every odd gamer and overclocker who keeps crying for to reach that extra fps or clock timings where eod this is going to take them nowhere no benefits but just crap peer competitions to achieve fake useless peace of mind only to set target to climb new mountain the next day..

Haha this reminds me of a story my bro in the air force told me of a colleague (not a pilot, so normal salaried person) telling him that he broke his iPhone and couldn't afford to repair the screen. My bro asked him then why did you buy such an expensive phone? He replied arrey everyone in the (commercial domestic) airport lounge notices if you have a cheap phone. This guy used to fly maybe twice a year to his hometown.
Me, i keep a budget of 10k on a cellphone and still feel kind of guilty for buying the 5z for 17.5k which is actually a great deal considering Sdm845, 8/256gb. Battery lasts almost a whole day now with moderate use. No gaming, very few videos.

Haha this reminds me of a story my bro in the air force told me of a colleague (not a pilot, so normal salaried person) telling him that he broke his iPhone and couldn't afford to repair the screen. My bro asked him then why did you buy such an expensive phone? He replied arrey everyone in the (commercial domestic) airport lounge notices if you have a cheap phone. This guy used to fly maybe twice a year to his hometown.
Me, i keep a budget of 10k on a cellphone and still feel kind of guilty for buying the 5z for 17.5k which is actually a great deal considering Sdm845, 8/256gb. Battery lasts almost a whole day now with moderate use. No gaming, very few videos.

It is people like this who makes others think that all iPhone users buy iPhone only to show off, especially in India.
There are people who genuinely love to use apple devices and they never bought it for show off.

First, thank you all for the valuable info.
Regarding Apple, I liked the company, but somewhere along the road they lost their uniqueness and I see no point in paying a premium price for their phones anymore :/

Phones are good, battery is pathetic. They are clearly built with the American crowd in mind. You will have to charge it atleast 2 times per day if you rely heavily on mobile data or do intensive tasks.

Wait... Which pixel phone are you talking about? Is it even available for 10k?
Charging it 2 times per day, really dude... so what that means that I will have to charge it 3-4 times after 1 year use.. pretty annoying....
Pixel 3 or Pixel 4

Newer pixel phones are not available here and if you are talking about older generation phones, then don't bother. Apart from the good camera, you are not getting much. You can instead buy POCO F1 and install custom ROM (pixel experience) and flash the Google Camera API to get the same camera experience. Since POCO F1 is a two year phone, it should be available relatively cheaper in the forum.

First, thank you all for the valuable info.
Regarding Apple, I liked the company, but somewhere along the road they lost their uniqueness and I see no point in paying a premium price for their phones anymore :/

Charging it 2 times per day, really dude... so what that means that I will have to charge it 3-4 times after 1 year use.. pretty annoying....
Pixel 3 or Pixel 4
I am talking about Pixel 3 series, which has less battery capacity ~3000mah. I am not saying it can't last you for a day but it all boils down to usage. If you are pushing your phone hard then it could die soon.
Again my experience is based on Android One, which though not a exact replica of Pixels Android but still it is the only one which comes close. Sorry I should have mentioned this earlier.
If you are a very casual user you can easily get through the day, but I like to keep some reserve just in case...
Some users have mentioned here how they get through the entire day on less battery, perhaps they could help you more in this regard.

Why would any one buy pixels in india? they're horribly priced and we have many phones which are miles ahead for half of pixels msrp. pixels are ok for american crowd who dont have access to xiaomi realme and usually buy phones in installments.

just buy a xiaomi redmi relame whatever and install gcam in it

even now with pixel 4a, why would anyone in usa bother with it for $349 when you have excellent iphone se 2 for $399

Why would any one buy pixels in india? they're horribly priced and we have many phones which are miles ahead for half of pixels msrp. pixels are ok for american crowd who dont have access to xiaomi realme and usually buy phones in installments.

just buy a xiaomi redmi relame whatever and install gcam in it

even now with pixel 4a, why would anyone in usa bother with it for $349 when you have excellent iphone se 2 for $399
Some People still prefer Google experience over iOS.
Also gcam mod are not 100%gcam features. Although I might be wrong as I don't use gcam.

One needs to download a particular gcam variant for his phone. Also, gcam ports are developed and maintained by by numerous devs so you have to keep trying for the one which has maximum features working.

Back