Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

My first reaction was.. is it april 1st.. :)

But this is real nice timing by Google, and perfect circumstances to buy a Mobile hardware company and have the other manufacturers support them in this deal :thumbs up:

The patent war seems to have assured Google can give iPhone some direct competition .. control the complete eco system.

Google's customer care sucks for most of their products, hopefully now it would improve, considering their hardcore entry to the mobile field :)

Wow! This is indeed huge! I am not sure if HTC, Samsung would be too pleased after hearing this!

Well, for me, I hope that my Motorola Atrix now becomes one of Google's pet phones and gets all the latest updates alongside Nexus S :p

Shripad said:
Frankly, I did not see this coming. This has potential to have huge implications to Android market and entire smartphone market even if Google decides to keep this as a separate entity which they probably will for now.

I dont know how to react to this at the moment. Its a risky strategy which can give rich rewards.

To be frank i am not amused because apple and microsoft have started cartel and have started buying all companies or its patent and were forcing people pay heavily for android stuffs.

Even recently the legal advisor of google confirmed same .And so they started buying moto patents.It wont be surprising that moto placed a condition that we will give all the patents unless you buy us.

As i dont see or i guess this is the first step of google into hardware market.But luckily i am happy because moto really made great hardware.I still have moto v3i which i bought 6 years back and i still havent done 1 rupee expense on its hardware and the battery though dying still give same power as my android.

Now hoping google seriously starts its nexus business on serious note and doesnt depend on samsung which is busy promoting plastic stuffs.

Motorola just got the biggest shot of testosterone.

Btw.. somebody do shed a lil light on .. What will this mean for motorola phone owners ??

Wanna hear about that..

I don't know why but I still don't wanna feel happy about this whole event! With Google acquiring every other company and putting hands in each of the sectors of business, how much more time are they gonna stay humble to their customers? Competition is good for the end-users but monopoly isn't.
Also, will it blend? :p

This deal still has to go through the regulatory approval. It can still be viewed as restricting competition since Google can (will) give preferential treatment to Moto devices.

On the other hand manufacturers who are battling with MS, Oracle and Apple over infringements can support this deal and it will get the regulatory nod.

Its a double edged sword and its ramifications will depend on how Google decides to take its acquisition forward. Its a different matter altogether that Google bought it only for the patents.

Google will eat the world. Waiting to see if any phone will be launched by them to match galaxy S & I Phone.. Someone should really look at the crackpad market too.. Looks like it is fading away

Google plans to Keep Motorola Mobility run as a separate company. Also according to speculation, the takeover is about Google purchasing patents. Since Google is planning to run Motorola as a seperate company, I do not think other manufacturers would worry a lot.

Here is more update:
Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility Enabling Android to “Break New Ground” (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

"Andy Rubin still expects the Nexus series to be a competition between manufacturers. Just because they own Motorola now, doesn’t mean that every new Nexus device will be from Moto. They will have to compete along with HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. to put together a phone that Google would be proud to brand as a Nexus"

I like this since you have to earn to build the next nexus.

Spacescreamer said:
Motorola just got the biggest shot of testosterone.

Btw.. somebody do shed a lil light on .. What will this mean for motorola phone owners ??
Wanna hear about that..

We wont really know..
Google likes to integrate it's acquisitions with it's current possessions.
If google chooses to make profit by making exclusive s/w features for moo then that would be a negative move.

It would be nice to see official google devices coming from other manufacturers despite of acquisition of motorola mobility.

If google intends to support existing moto devices in the OTA of vanilla android then that would be a really bold move.

Alternative google can let it exist as Moto Mobility while just using it for fighting patent wars.

I think Google will be very careful to project this as a move to keep android alive and safe from patent trolling from apple n Microsoft since its earlier effort to get patents failed.
And any move to integrate moto in Google will actually spell doom for android in terms of market cap as other OEMs will be skeptical.

Interesting Image :)
[attachment=9089:15711.attach]

Attachments

• google-smartphone-market-160811.jpg
    google-smartphone-market-160811.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 112
Two reasons why google bought motorola:

1. PATENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.FRAGMENTATION!!!!!!!

People love their nexus devices.nexus devices also set the benchmark for android hardware.to better compete with apple google needed more control over hardware.now other oem manufacturers will have to compete with google to push out updates as fast as google does on their devices.going by apple standards,all phones get updates as soon they are announced!!!!!! more competition for marketshare!!!!!! good for consumers!!!!!!!!!!! .

Back