Storage Solutions Got a 500gb HDD instead of 200GB during RMA

I gave my 200GB sata HDD for RMA about 10 days back and yesterday i received the replacement for it, I am surprised to find that its a 500GB(ST3500630AS) sata...I haven't checked it still cos i dont have my desktop here...

I even checked the warranty with seagate warranty checker online and it says its under warranty till sep 2010 which reflects the date of purchase of my 200GB model
I dont know the specifications of this HDD, sata 1 or 2...?

Is it for real or Seagate is just trying to fool me with a 500GB sticker on a 200Gb HDD :rofl:

Point out your thoughts guys

the 500 gigger u got is a 7200.10 16mb cache Sata II..
sweet deal

p.s. btw didya ship it to chennai or gave to a local auth. distributor?
cuz even my 500 gigger is showing seek error rate in S.M.A.R.T.

Wow fast reply there...I really hope so,But still i have to check and thats a minimum of after 10 days :(

^^^ My friend personally went and gave it to their service center near Wockhardt hospital Bangalore

200Gb and 300Gb drives are NA anymore. So its most likely you'll get it upgraded. I got my 300Gb 7200.9 upgraded to 320Gb 7200.10 last week when i gave it for RMA. But 500Gb for 200Gb :p, you got some luck ;)

Saiyan said:
200Gb and 300Gb drives are NA anymore. So its most likely you'll get it upgraded. I got my 300Gb 7200.9 upgraded to 320Gb 7200.10 last week when i gave it for RMA. But 500Gb for 200Gb :p, you got some luck ;)

I got 120gb Laptop IDE for 100gb Laptop IDE once
& 320gb 7200.10 for 300gb 7200.9 once
But the craziest was when i gave 40GB IDE & received 160GB IDE a year back...the 40 gb one was 2.5 years old...so i have little warranty on the 160gb one

As Saiyan Sa told ...the model & size availability on RMA depends on the stocking of the model....& the popularity of the model...however do check if you got the correct drive according to the sticker....
My friend got the 80gb SAMSUNG where the sticker mentioned 120GB...lol that was fun...bcause he gave a 80 gb for RMA...lol the look on his face...this happened 2 years ago...now its worthless

^Accel and seagate have a really good system , i really such things could happen there. Haven't dealt with samsung.

I'm gonna wait till one month before the 5yr warranty on my 250GbSeagate runs out.

Then going to crash it so it will have to be RMA'ed a second time.

Hopefully the RMA replacement from Seagate will outlive it intended warranty

But after 2 years who knows if Seagate will only ship out Solidstate HDD's

Thank you Guys for the immaculate response

mkhegde said:
I'm gonna wait till one month before the 5yr warranty on my 250GbSeagate runs out.
Then going to crash it so it will have to be RMA'ed a second time.
Hopefully the RMA replacement from Seagate will outlive it intended warranty

But after 2 years who knows if Seagate will only ship out Solidstate HDD's

Yeah...always hope for the best...:hap2:

I was wondering if it is a Sata 2 HDD as pointed out by mr47, Does my MOBO thats a Asus A8N SLI support Sata 2 ?

Back