Audio Gotta buy 5.1 speakers ..EDIFIER DA5000? please help

thanga

Disciple
Folks,

I was looking for good 5.1 speakers. Left Rear speaker of my CREATIVE 5.1 INSPIRE M5300 gone out completely, hence I look for something else than creative.

Please offer opinion on EDIFIER DA5000. Is it good? or any other in same range. ( Rs. 7195/- at S.P Road Bangalore).

I would not go above this budget, since even my current settings made my neighbors vengeful. :mad:

Anyway I hope some what higher quality than the creative ones.

Thanks in advance..:)

Thanks guys for replying, anyways, being impatient I bought DA500PRO this saturday...

Initial impression is AWESOME (at least in my case, updating from creative....), I feel I can hear a LOT more sounds than I had ever before, with superb clarity too.

I'm no audiophile, but every string of guitar (that has never been reproduced or suppressed by bass, by previous speakers) is enthralling.

I also own a bose acoustimass 5.1 home thater, but in my opinion, I had not heard so many individual sounds. Anyway that was primarily for Movies..

Will have to replay all songs I have heard so far. Exciting....

Sorry Guys,

The work was brutal this week. hence could not give details of purchase.

Anyways here it goes, I bought it at IT GAIN computers at s.p road, Bangalore. Its a shop somewhat opposite to ankit. Its a small shop filled with too many people on saturday. The young chap who sold me the speakers refused to come down from Rs 8250. Its inclusive of tax (393 Rupees VAT!)

He has a catalog from edifier which has small pictures of all models and wattage. But not more details like satellite powers. He quoted about Rs 7800 for DA5000. He cannot fully answer whats the difference between 5000 and PRO. Some thing like "New" and "better quality of sound", he said, I thought the PRO looks good and decided to go with it.

It took about 20-30 min to bring the speakers, it might take less on a weekday. There is no option of hearing the sound before purchase, but they tried to demo it after purchase. It was very difficult moving and setting all the speakers with all the people in the way. I asked to connect only two speakers. He played a bollywood piece from his mobile for a min. thats it. But it was enough to gauge the speakers' power, if not quality of sound.

After I brought it and set it up, when I played a few songs, I felt "oh! what a crap those creative speakers have been." (to be fair, they were lower end models t6010s). I am not an audiophile, but can hear the difference in SQ, And I mean, its Huge. I can hear a LOT more sounds with astonishing clarity. Even In the songs I hear repeatedly, I could pickup strings, synthesizer sounds, little pieces of marvelous sound henceforth unheard. It was awesome. Could not stop grinning the whole day. For me its money well spent. I say : worth. every. penny.

And about the Bass. I could not put it in technical terms, but the bass is totally different from creative's. And in a good way. The bass was of very good quality, not merely loud. I mean, the creative's bass would travel thru walls and door, but I've not felt deepness. But the bass of the Edifier's is somewhat understated. I can hear very less of it out side the room when the doors are closed. But it does not mean Edifier's are less powerfull. The bass fells like some punches in chest with soft strong Nylon hammers. But there is no suppression of guitar strings and cymbals from other speakers.

Mind you, I was playing at only around 25% of total volume, not willing to pick fight with neighbor again. It was well more then enough to sitting nearby to speaker. But it could be connected to TV or console in a big room, I think 120 RMS would well enough rattle the furniture when things explode in the movies. When the seller at shop said that this speakers is more suitable to shops than home use, I know that its not over stated. I am yet to test it with an action movie.

A remote also is provided but limited functionality of volume treble and bass. There are some small lights light up in different combinations when changing the bass/treble/volume levels and Digits displaying the level of volume or bass. There are a few buttons provided in the front of sub woofer, till now I have not studied. I have been controlling it thru PC. And there are inputs each for PC Audio, Aux and center, left, right and Rear Left and Rear Right, in the bacl. The bass port is in the side. I have not felt the air pumped out from it yet, since I am keeping the volume low. ( My neighbor is moving in a few weeks! waiting for the day!!)

The whole damn thing is heavy, more that 20 KGs I thinks. My lungs totally over worked when I lifted the boxes and loaded in the Auto. In a week day shop boys would have been more helpful. It was simply over crowded that day. And the are Huge. Luckily I could fit the Sub in the computer table bottom self, after moving the CPU to top. I have still no idea how I am going to fit the rear satellites behind the chair.

Well I guess I have pretty much summarized the purchase. Will try to post some photos tomorrow or in Ramjan holiday. To repeat again, I am very happy with this purchase.

I have a new samsung tv and the sound is not so clear. I dont know why. I didnt bother tocall support since I thought I will be putting up a speaker.

which speaker do you recommend. will the edifier which you bought work with TV. I need to know whether the speaker will work 5.1 with TV.

Even i need answer for the above query, i bought Samsung LA32D580 a month back, sound is not clear only on some HD channel, i am planning to buy 5.1, upto 6K budget, is Edifier DA5000 (not pro) is good to buy..? i mean is worth the money..?

Hi Gautham82

I looked at the samsung site and following were the audio output specifications for your TV.
HDMI 4
USB 2
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 2
Composite In (AV) 2 (Common Use for Component Y)
Digital Audio Out (Optical) 1
PC In (D-sub) 1
RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input) 1
Headphone 1
PC Audio In (Mini Jack) 1
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) 1 (Common Use for PC Audio in)
Ethernet (LAN) 1

If you buy the edifier you would be able to take the output from headphone jack only, and it would be severely limiting both the TV and Speaker capabilities.

You need 3 audio output jacks, looking like headphone jacks, or audio out from your pc), to get 5.1 output to DA5000. On the other hand, you can fully utilize the digital audio out from your TV, if you buy an audio receiver, and 5.1 speakers. The receiver will take the digital output and convert it to Analog. then only it could be fed to speakers. Another option is LOGITECH Z5500 speakers, with built-in Digital to analog convertor. It would fully process the output and give the real home theater experience.

@Mathew_p_a

You have not mentioned the TV model, yet I think same answer to Mathew applies to your question. You need 5.1 analog audio output in the TV to connect only the speakers. However, I find this is not available even in the most pricy Samsung LED TV costing 4 lacks. however they all have digital output, hence you would need logitech z5500 or an audio receiver +5.1 speakers.

thanks for the input.. I have samsung D550 model.

Logitech z55000 is too pricy it seems...

How much does and av receiver cost?

What are my options if I go for 2.1? Is it good?

vishalrao said:
Congrats @thanga, you are obviously enjoying your purchase! :D
Thanks vilasrao, ofcourse I do :eek:hyeah: They may not able to give "audio nirvana", but it suits all my audio needs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Dear people who all visit this thread wondering about difference between Edifier DA5000 and DA5000 PRO...

I scourged the net and found some reviews ( need to be translated, but thanks to google its done already)

DA5000 :
Google Translate

DA5000PRO:
Google Translate

Good thing they have nice pictures of both the models. Better than what I can produce anytime :)

Back