Car & Bike Government to make ABS mandatory on motorcycles and scooters in India

I did, and yes it took me by surprise
that's what i wanted to point out when people here mentioned that they are unnecessarily spooking out with ABS. basically, they have no real life experience and spreading false info.

i have a lot of experience about vehicle safety systems. and incidentally, i got to test out these systems during usual driving rather than experimenting on empty village roads.

i went thru exactly the same experience with ABS as you mentioned. it happened way back in 2005 and to add to the misery, i didn't know my rented vehicle had ABS. in a split second there was a pile up of 5 cars ahead of me. i am super alert while driving and that's what probably saved me that day. thanks to the ABS, i was able to steer away from the vehicles in front of me. and then 2 cars behind me joined the pile up.

i mentioned EBD because people don't know that ABS equipped cars skid the same way as non-ABS cars. lot of car brochures explains ABS as if it helps in skid control as well (they didn't have EBD). EBD helps them to stay on track while the ABS is doing its job. EBD should be the part of all ABS equipped cars but if our careless govt just focusses on ABS alone then the manufacturers are sure to skimp on it.

making ABS mandatory is a good decision. but teaching people how to drive is more important. it's funny how it's govt's job to ensure people wear helmets and seat belts when it should be voluntary. people don't know how to stick to their lanes and they are made to use ABS?

ABS is going to create false safety perception unless people educate themselves about it. TBHP is "supposed" to be a forum of educated and responsible people. lot of people there mentioned how they "confidently" drive at high speeds in Airbags and ABS equipped cars. it's the same feeling of driving a "paawer brakes" equipped ambassador. people need to understand that ABS doesn't give them the ability to drive faster.

last year, a decent looking guy rear ended me while i was standstill in a traffic jam. he sheepishly came and told me that it was because of ABS. i didn't ask him for the details, but did he mean more stopping distance, or did ABS catch him by "surprise", or did he think his brakes malfunctioned as they "pulsated" :p? i don't know the real reason but all i know is that he had an ABS equipped car and yet he banged into me.

Last edited:
car_skidmarks_bf0605.jpg

The above image is a good example of how ABS works. And I dont agree that you need more breaking distance on tarmac when you have your car equiped with ABS.

car_skidmarks_bf0605.jpg

The above image is a good example of how ABS works. And I dont agree that you need more breaking distance on tarmac when you have your car equiped with ABS.

The twin tread marks show it is a truck/bus skid mark and they dont have ABS.

What this country really needs is foothpaths and laws to to keep people walking on the roads.all trees and circuit box and hawkers should be removed so there is space to walk.I can guarantee 90% accident decrease if this is done.

^so you mean, in non abs vehicle, I need to implement abs technique myself in a panic and emergency situation?
you see thats exactly the point, U cant just use the abs technique in your emergency situation, you tend to press the brakes as hard as you can which may make you lose control of the vehicle and hence the skid.

you see thats exactly the point, U cant just use the abs technique in your emergency situation, you tend to press the brakes as hard as you can which may make you lose control of the vehicle and hence the skid.
actually you can... but requires a lot of practise and training yourself to avoid panic breaking. basically keeping it cool when startled.

^ +1
Just learn to apply brakes in a steady pace, increase the pressure on the lever as you approach whatever you are about to hit, don't press it as hard as you can and as fast as you can.

^
Almost on a daily basis. I live in Bhopal, people here don't understand the concept of one way road, the roads are filled with 12yr old driving bikes at 70kmph+ and teenagers who think the roads are audition grounds for stunt mania. On top of all this almost everyone uses high beams here, and there are a lot who run with high intensity xenon HID. My daily commute involves going to college on a pot hole and dust ridden highway which is filled with trucks carrying sand, cement and god knows what other stuff, along this journey i am half blind and and have to constantly go from 80kmph to a stand still just to avoid the drunk idiot coming towards me in the wrong lane. Barely anyone in this city follows traffic laws, and stopping at a traffic light is considered "uncool". BTW these things are nothing, there have been multiple cases where i wouldn't have survived if i had panicked and locked my tyres. One such incident was this :
204958_221511247863953_4884066_o.jpg
When this guy overtook me i was around 65-70kmph, we were turning left and he lost control halfway through the turn and fell exactly at the spot where i was and would have been if i had panicked. Satisfied? :p

^you may be having excellent driving skills... But applying brake at steady pace is not the same as what ABS does... Release/Brake action executed several times in a second!!! If someone says, this can be achieved by driving skills...

As long as you follow 2-second rule while maintaining the distance from car you're following, keeping flow of the traffic there's no chance that you could rear end someone. (4-second during rains)

^you may be having excellent driving skills... But applying brake at steady pace is not the same as what ABS does... Release/Brake action executed several times in a second!!! If someone says, this can be achieved by driving skills...
I know what ABS does and i agree with you on that, but if your bike does not have ABS than afaik braking like i said is the fastest way to stop.

Back