Car & Bike Government to make ABS mandatory on motorcycles and scooters in India

So can anyone tell me what will happen if I have ABS/don't have ABS if I'm going at about 80-90 kmph:
a) I Slam on brakes as hard as I can
b) I brake, release, brake, release, brake (assuming my brain is still functioning)

And what do you do with the gear during these situations?

So can anyone tell me what will happen if I have ABS/don't have ABS if I'm going at about 80-90 kmph:
b) I brake, release, brake, release, brake (assuming my brain is still functioning)

for both the cases,

If you are driving an ABS equipped car :
a) You can slam the brakes fully and still you would able to swerve. although the stopping distance will be little higher than non ABS. You can leave the car in any gear and hold clutch to prevent stalling. (If you try to down shift direct to 1st/2nd it may damage the gearbox)
b) You pulse your braking then also you'll be able to steer but the stopping distance will be higher than (a).

If you aren't driving a ABS equipped car :
a) You will be de accelerating very fast but your wheels will lock, which would make the steering to stop responding due to skid. Also your tyre will wear out a lot BUT you would stop before an ABS equipped car. There may be cases where the hydraulic/power braking stop working (citation needed). This may make the brake heavier.
b) If you pulse braking on non ABS car, you will be able to swerve away but the braking distance will be the highest.

Unless you can down shift 2-3 times really fast in emergency you are better off leaving it in gear and depressing the clutch.

With ABS
a) You will stop, provided there is nothing too close in front or behind you.
b) There is no point in doing this as you will only increase the stopping distance

Without ABS
a) The tyres will lock up almost instantly and the bike will skid.
b) You will slow down and stop, not the most efficient way to do it though.

When in emergency situations i prefer to hold the clutch, this causes the engine noise and vibrations to stop and i can better feel the feedback from the tyres so i can decide whether i can go harder on the brakes or not. Some people prefer to use the gears to slow down the vehicle and thats fine, just doesnt suit my driving style.

for both the cases,

a) You can slam the brakes fully and still you would able to swerve. although the stopping distance will be little higher than non ABS. You can leave the car in any gear and hold clutch to prevent stalling. (If you try to down shift direct to 1st/2nd it may damage the gearbox)
b) You pulse your braking then also you'll be able to steer but the stopping distance will be higher than (a).

a) You will be de accelerating very fast but your wheels will lock, which would make the steering to stop responding due to skid. Also your tyre will wear out a lot BUT you would stop before an ABS equipped car. There may be cases where the hydraulic/power braking stop working (citation needed). This may make the brake heavier.
b) If you pulse braking on non ABS car, you will be able to swerve away but the braking distance will be the highest.

Unless you can down shift 2-3 times really fast in emergency you are better off leaving it in gear and depressing the clutch.

And if you shift to neutral while braking?

for both the cases,

first of all, NEVER hold the clutch while breaking hard.
downshift depending upon the speed. if you are say at 60kmph.. you can downshift the car to 2nd and release the clutch. ( release it fast but not sudden.. I guess, comes with practise) downshifting always helps in breaking distance. and dont worry about the gear box. they are built to withstand the abuse. at the end of the day life is more important than gear box.

so, this is how I do. I might be wrong but...
1) press the break gradually while downshifting. hear a screech, leave the break and press again.
2) keep cool and look at where you want to go. not where you are going to hit. I mean, if you are going to hit a cow, look at its tail, not head. that way you will un intentionally steer away from the cow. This is also called target fixation.
3) most of the times, you forget to downshift. but thats okay. just remember to let go of the break when ever you hear a screech.

car/bike wont stall until the tires are spinning. so never push the clutch. if it stalls, no problem. because you would be still at that point. and just use the ignition and start the car. but dont push the clutch while breaking/turning. but again.. downshifting should be done with clutch. break...clutch,downshift,release clutch...rpm comes down then clutch,downshift,release... in the meanwhile if you hear a screech. let go of the break and press again. and keep eyes away from the cow.

see.... its like 3-4 threads multi threading at the same time... thats why you need ABS. ;)

None of this text will matter or save you in the time of emergency. I recommend you: drive slow, fall down 3-4 times, make mistakes, and learn from them. The more mistakes you make the more you learn, only hands-on experience can give you the real feel of emergency braking and how to handle it.

I agree, NEVER HOLD THE CLUTCH while braking. You will break your face doing so, only very experienced drivers do that using the brakes intermittently. Always downshift when braking hard else the bike will skid. And try to get a bike that you can handle as a lot depends on how you handle the bike while skidding.

The modern motorcycle ride control systems not only come with ABS but its a system in which ABS is a part. wheelie control, traction control, gyro sensor and other sensors incorporated into the system. Proving that the ABS is useless in one scenario where the rider does straight line breaking is not enough to conclude that ABS is useless. unlike cars, motorcycles are not always up right.

The modern motorcycle ride control systems not only come with ABS but its a system in which ABS is a part. wheelie control, traction control, gyro sensor and other sensors incorporated into the system. Proving that the ABS is useless in one scenario where the rider does straight line breaking is not enough to conclude that ABS is useless. unlike cars, motorcycles are not always up right.

Actually thats both true and false.
True as in the fact that these systems are sometimes incorporated with the abs system as such.
But false as in the fact that they're not always done.

Example of the former is Apriliia RSV4 which has ASC AWC ATC etc etc.
But the example of the latter is the Apache 180 ABS and RTR 180 and even the KTMs.

last year, a decent looking guy rear ended me while i was standstill in a traffic jam. he sheepishly came and told me that it was because of ABS. i didn't ask him for the details, but did he mean more stopping distance, or did ABS catch him by "surprise", or did he think his brakes malfunctioned as they "pulsated" :p? i don't know the real reason but all i know is that he had an ABS equipped car and yet he banged into me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/7221-abs-discussion-thread-36.html#post3606832

Back