GPS Question

piyush_888

Disciple
Hi,
I have a question regarding GPS. When you buy a a phone which supports GPS and A-GPS and comes preinstalled with maps, do you still have to pay a monthly or yearly charge to someone to use the GPS feature or its completely free??

Depends on the provider. If you use Ovi Maps on Nokia, it is completely free. It runs on GPS, so no data charges, and Ovi itself is free. Google Maps on the other hand runs on GPRS, so you incur data charges though the application itself is free to install. MapMyIndia charges a one time fee.

GPS is not a feature, it's a device.

You may or may not have to pay a fee, it depends on the software you use ( navigation software )..... Softwares like Google maps, Ovi maps are free , whereas softwares like TOM-TOM & others are paid...

So if u buy a phone that come preinstalled with maps ( I think only NOKIA Symbian phones do this ), you need to pay any monthly fees to use it.

Google maps does need gprs, and it also connects to gps satellites. Found it better than ovi maps. Many places does not yeild a result in ovi maps.

Ok I have unlimited GPRS phone. If I get spica, and use Google maps, will it be good ? I mean will the GPS device access satellite data or will it stay only on the GPRS mode ?

Any GPRS based phone can give you "map navigation". The precision varies with the presence of a GPS chip (like the sirfstar on the asus phones) and whether you are using paid or free navigation software. Hope that answers your query further :)

I have used Google Maps very little due to the fact that GPRS is bloody costly. However, in whatever little I saw, it downloads the maps using GPRS, and also uses GPRS to track your position when satellite status isn't available (GPS).

motorheadinc said:
Any GPRS based phone can give you "map navigation". The precision varies with the presence of a GPS chip (like the sirfstar on the asus phones) and whether you are using paid or free navigation software. Hope that answers your query further :)

In my case, the OVI maps ask me to buy a license and Google Maps suffers from frequent disconnections.

I need a phone with a dedicated GPS chip and a free navigation service.

but isnt gprs really slow?

Anyways...my question is If I wanna use navigation using the GPS chip on the phone, what is my best option. (preferably free)

I have a Nokia 5233 (No GPS just AGPS) but it works like a charm with GPRS. Its not dead accurate with lanes and stuff, but it updates fine when moving. Major roads have not been a problem yet. Checked in Bangalore and Kolkata.

I want to use navigation on the spica, like I wanna be able to enter "paradise" on the software and the phone should automatically detect where I am and gimme directions to that place from my current location.

How can I best achieve that in the spica? How much will it cost me?
Is there any free alternative to that?

i think only opton is to use google maps with navigation, but for that u need unlimited gprs connection because there will be lots of streaming of maps. otherwise it will be costly.

amit.mastermind said:
i think only opton is to use google maps with navigation, but for that u need unlimited gprs connection because there will be lots of streaming of maps. otherwise it will be costly.

so if I am using GPRS, whats the point of having GPS on the phone?

GPRS being slow, would that afftect the loading of the maps?

Back