Budget 31-40k GPU buying advice

Rhythmz4

Recruit
Hi guys, can I know what gpu to go for, my budget is around 30-35k

These are my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GTX 1080 Gigabyte Xtreme OC (planning to sell)
MOBO: Asrock B450 pro-4
RAM: 24GB 3200mhz
POWER: 650W Bronze corsair
SSD: 500GB
HDD:1TB

I was planning to sell GTX 1080, which I did some research should fetch me somewhere around 16k-19k.
Only going to change the GPU nothing else. I'll be keeping the rest components as it is.

Please advise which gpu should I go for, I mostly use it for gaming on 1080p 144hz. Mostly I want to go for a good condition used one. I was using this to play fps shooter games until now, but I don't get time for that anymore due to job, I will now play AAA titles and the new cod which is coming, is hyping me up to get a new gpu as well lol.

Something to consider : I don't want to overspend, also it will be better if I get something closer to 30k, also was considering to get something like 2080 or super and maybe can upgrade later when 4000 series come (something like that if that makes sense)

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

My recommendation is to stick with your current GPU. I don't think you will be facing problems while playing at 1080p 144Hz with your current GPU. Look at it this way, if you buy a 20 series now, you will take a depreciation hit when you sell it and go for a 40 series card. Also a used card without warranty might die on you right after purchase, making it a total loss. Might as well go for a 40 series directly

Just a quick side note, your RAM seems imbalanced (24gb). Maybe you are using 3 out of 4 RAM slots, I'm not sure. If RAM capacities are mismatched, only a portion of it might run in dual channel.

Stick with the current GPU & make RAM non-imbalanced by adding another 8GB stick. If I remember correctly, imbalanced RAM affects the 1% low fps more, not avg fps, thus you might see more stutters. So make it 4x8GB, hopefully it ain't 1x16 + 1x8, in that case sell 1x8GB & get another 1x16GB.

Something like 3060Ti is more suited for 1440p gaming, overkill for 1080p. So unless you plan to upgrade CPU & monitor as well, better not make the jump as you don't get much time to play.

Thanks for the reply guys, and yea ram seems imbalanced so do i remove one of the 8gb until I buy a new one? I have 8gb x 3 rams. Also for the GPU part, it makes sense not to upgrade right now, but later when I will, selling 1080 will not fetch me good amount and I'll have to spend more to buy a good 4000 series card isn't it?

Thanks for the reply guys, and yea ram seems imbalanced so do i remove one of the 8gb until I buy a new one? I have 8gb x 3 rams. Also for the GPU part, it makes sense not to upgrade right now, but later when I will, selling 1080 will not fetch me good amount and I'll have to spend more to buy a good 4000 series card isn't it?
Yes...now u will get decent price for gpu in coming 1-2 months it will go more down...already i have seen 1080 going for 12k and 1080ti at around 15-18k.....right now new there is sale on gigabyte gpu on vedant.com and zotac on elitehubs.com at very good prices for 3060 and 3060ti....if going used route...you can get 3060ti or 3070 in ur price range.

Yes...now u will get decent price for gpu in coming 1-2 months it will go more down...already i have seen 1080 going for 12k and 1080ti at around 15-18k.....right now new there is sale on gigabyte gpu on vedant.com and zotac on elitehubs.com at very good prices for 3060 and 3060ti....if going used route...you can get 3060ti or 3070 in ur price range.
So you think upgrading now makes sense? Seriously confused. Also i will upgrade to 1440p 144hz in several months as well if I buy the GPU now so not sure what to do. Thanks for the reply.

Stick with the current GPU & make RAM non-imbalanced by adding another 8GB stick. If I remember correctly, imbalanced RAM affects the 1% low fps more, not avg fps, thus you might see more stutters. So make it 4x8GB, hopefully it ain't 1x16 + 1x8, in that case sell 1x8GB & get another 1x16GB.
Just a quick side note, your RAM seems imbalanced (24gb). Maybe you are using 3 out of 4 RAM slots, I'm not sure. If RAM capacities are mismatched, only a portion of it might run in dual channel.
Sorry for ot, can you guys say if 2x16gb same Ram and 1x8gb different Ram will affect dual channel?

@op You can't get more than 13-15k for the 1080 so consider if it's worth it to get another old 3000 series and sell it for bad depreciation when you upgrade again. By the time you upgrade to new gen prices might have stabilised and you may not get as much as you expected from your 3000 series card so you may not be able to sell it. Consider if you can take that much depreciation then decide.

Sorry for ot, can you guys say if 2x16gb same Ram and 1x8gb different Ram will affect dual channel?

@op You can't get more than 13-15k for the 1080 so consider if it's worth it to get another old 3000 series and sell it for bad depreciation when you upgrade again. By the time you upgrade to new gen prices might have stabilised and you may not get as much as you expected from your 3000 series card so you may not be able to sell it. Consider if you can take that much depreciation then decide.
Yea same thought, upgrading to 4000 series seems like the safe choice now.. still unclear of the ram situation, should I unplug one of the 8gb rams until I buy a new one ? Wasn't aware of this.

Yea same thought, upgrading to 4000 series seems like the safe choice now.. still unclear of the ram situation, should I unplug one of the 8gb rams until I buy a new one ? Wasn't aware of this.
Since you were ready to spend money on GPU, can't you just buy more RAM now? Unless you have some space constraints like big air cooler.

You GTX 1080 performs like RTX 2060, if I remember correctly, so better than 3050 but inferior to 3060 by today's standards. Better make the jump after next-gen mid-rangers are out, like RTX 4060. Look into upgrading CPU to R5 5600 as well that time.

2x16 + 1x8 is still imbalanced. It is highly recommended to use same capacity & speed sticks. For a normal user using documents & browsing web, something like 1x8 + 1x4 for a total of 12GB is surely a good thing as they get benefit of more RAM, but for even gamers, balanced RAM is recommended for best performance.

This might be good enough to get my point across as SoTR is a relatively old game with 8GB RAM as the minimum requirement. You can see that at 12GB RAM, the 1% low is same as 8GB (I think 8GB was single channel here, but can't find the video now):
12GB dont (1).png

Since you were ready to spend money on GPU, can't you just buy more RAM now? Unless you have some space constraints like big air cooler.

You GTX 1080 performs like RTX 2060, if I remember correctly, so better than 3050 but inferior to 3060 by today's standards. Better make the jump after next-gen mid-rangers are out, like RTX 4060. Look into upgrading CPU to R5 5600 as well that time.

Yea you're right, thanks for the advise on the GPU thing, also unclear to what you said, should I get 4060 or 3060 or similar when the 40 series is out? Also any ideas when will they come? didnt get a chance to check on that.

Coming to the ram thing, you guessed it right, I have the cooler master ma610p, its quite big, the last ram almost gets covered with it, what should I do with that? I don't think I have a choice there.. hence the question should I remove 1 to make it balanced 2x8gb? Thanks for answering!

Yea you're right, thanks for the advise on the GPU thing, also unclear to what you said, should I get 4060 or 3060 or similar when the 40 series is out? Also any ideas when will they come? didnt get a chance to check on that.

Coming to the ram thing, you guessed it right, I have the cooler master ma610p, its quite big, the last ram almost gets covered with it, what should I do with that? I don't think I have a choice there.. hence the question should I remove 1 to make it balanced 2x8gb? Thanks for answering!
40 series higher end will launch in September and lower to mid end will launch next year only.

Wait for RTX 4060 or its equivalent AMD one next year, upgrade to next-gen. Rumours put 4070 to have 3080/3080Ti like performance, so 4060's performance like even 3070 with more VRAM would be nice to have for 30-35k next year (just guessing).

Remove 1 RAM stick & take benchmarks using games that have a benchmark tool. See for yourself how much the difference is. If you are not seeing much stuttering with 24GB vs 16GB, stick with 24GB.

Wait for RTX 4060 or its equivalent AMD one next year, upgrade to next-gen. Rumours put 4070 to have 3080/3080Ti like performance, so 4060's performance like even 3070 with more VRAM would be nice to have for 30-35k next year (just guessing).

Remove 1 RAM stick & take benchmarks using games that have a benchmark tool. See for yourself how much the difference is. If you are not seeing much stuttering with 24GB vs 16GB, stick with 24GB.
Great, thanks for clearing that up, will definitely look forward to 4060. For the ram stutters I'll test it tonight.

Back