Graphic Cards GPU for 1440X900 gaming

+1 for vij's thoughts there ^^^; :)

vicente, dude it finally boils down to th budget u've; I'd suggest the 4850, given the fact that u've 10k [and a couple of more 100 bucks] to spare; :D

vicente said:
my earlier reply did not end up at the end of the thread as i'd expected ... i'll copy paste what i said in my last post

Is it possible to do 1024X768 or any other non-widescreen resolution under 1440X900 on my widescreen that would give me playable fps while not hindering the gaming experience aspect ratio wise (thats assuming that there would be some kinda mismatch in the view when using any of the 4:3 resolutions - seriously noob)?

I'm quite sure 1440X900 is the only widescreen resolution supported by the lcd

no,there will be no mismatch,1024x768 will scale fine over your screen.
graphics will not look half as good as the native res though.
i have played on 1024x768 res on a 20'' just in case you need proof.:p

Got the Sapphire 4850 :clap:

Ran into heating problems right away :help2:, ASUS pc probe suggesting that the motherboard was heating too much @45 degrees - this barely after windows startup. (cpu @42 degrees idle)
i saw some display corruption in the CCC video preview images. It got kind of chaotic as i was struggling to get display on dvi initially (turned out to be loose connection eventually - my bad ).

I shut down the pc and added a 80mm spare case fan on the front side of the cabinet(something tht i've gotten away with for the last 10 years with external gfx) & voila :)
mobo steady @ 40 on load, cpu - 44 onload (tested with crysis demo, farcry, doom3). The card is hot but does not go beyong 85 degrees on load and idles @ 70.

Ran 3dmark06 with catalyst 8.7 - got 7690 marks on default settings - is this okay? I checked online for scores, and this seems to be a very low score :huh:

^^ apply the fanfix.. just check supra's review.. its listed there.

it'll adjust your fan profile to make it spin a lil more faster. brings temps down to 50 odd at idle

do i have to do the fan fix? I know this reduces the temps but increases noise levels; but is there a prb running the card at 70 deg?

My bigger concern is the 3dmark score - 7690 is low as per the sticky threads. This is my first ATi card; i may have missed some step while setting up the card.

your score is low because your cpu will pull you down... the x2's cant exactly compete with intel's C2D's.. as long as you are satisfied with in game performance, you shouldnt be bothering wiht synthetic benchies..

you will be better off with the fan fix rather than without. though the cards themselves are rated to run at the temps without issues, it might cause issues in the long term, vis a vis; reduction in life..

from what ive read till now, till upto 50% the fan is pretty much bearable and not too noisy.. you can also experiment wiht the %age value to bring the fan speed to an optimum where the fan doesnt disturb you.

Hey OP,

I finished Crysis on medium setting with OCed E6300 to 2.8 Ghz and XFX 8600GT Oced to 700 mhz 24x7 with decent game play pleasure. So it depends how much you wanna invest in it. Perfect choice would be MSI 4850 WITH ZALMAN Cooler. Check newegg (new products . MSI) awesome card with awesome heatsink! NO so call infamous heat issues! If you dont wanna spend that much get 9600GSO for around Rs. 6200-6800. It will suffice.

Cheers.

rockfella said:
Hey OP,

I finished Crysis on medium setting with OCed E6300 to 2.8 Ghz and XFX 8600GT Oced to 700 mhz 24x7 with decent game play pleasure. So it depends how much you wanna invest in it. Perfect choice would be MSI 4850 WITH ZALMAN Cooler. Check newegg (new products . MSI) awesome card with awesome heatsink! NO so call infamous heat issues! If you dont wanna spend that much get 9600GSO for around Rs. 6200-6800. It will suffice.

Cheers.

do bother with reading the thread before jumping to reply :p

OP has already purchased a hd4850.

lol Its a mystery word used in TE to describe one of its members 'katmandude' (and confuse junior members like us). we should have a wiki page for it soon

Back