Graphic Cards GPU not detected, no fan spin, no display, not getting warm

mew18

Recruit
Pretty much the title, computer crashed all of a sudden yesterday while plugging in a fan while it was powered on( yes it was, stupid of me to do so).

Gpu (rtx 2080 Super) showed temperature like -40c to -20c in msi afterburner. I removed the gpu and I noticed 2 smd came off the pcb, so i tried it without those and later got those soldered on to the PCB, still nothing.

After some windows recovery , i tried another GPU(gtx 1060 with DDU) and it works fine with games. But when i plug in the 2080 ,I get no display, no fan spin, just the gpu logo lights up, it doesn't even get warm.

Here is what i have tried:
Different pcie slot
Leaving it for an hour without turning on
wrapping it in anti static bag
reset bios
reset cmos
different power cables
tried booting up with the 2 gpu, 2080 is not recognized in the mobo bios

Thank you in advance.

Apologies for the grammar, and sorry if i missed out on something

Last edited:
while plugging in a fan while it was powered on( yes it was, stupid of me to do so).
So you plugged the fan in reverse and your system got short! While this shouldn't affect the gpu or other components, its pretty strange.
What psu?

@OP, which fan were you plugging in? DC fans draw little current do I'm not really sure if thats the issue. Any idea how the SMD's were dislodged?

just a normal 120mm 3 pin fan

well, I would advise you to check it with a known good PSU, just to be sure it’s not the GPU. Check the contact on the pcie interface, for any signs of burnt contact. Clean with isopropyl. Plugging in a 3 pin fan shouldn’t equate to the kind of symptoms you’re describing, maybe it just aggravated an existing issue. Any indication of heating/burning on the power connectors on the Gpu ?

well, I would advise you to check it with a known good PSU, just to be sure it’s not the GPU. Check the contact on the pcie interface, for any signs of burnt contact. Clean with isopropyl. Plugging in a 3 pin fan shouldn’t equate to the kind of symptoms you’re describing, maybe it just aggravated an existing issue. Any indication of heating/burning on the power connectors on the Gpu ?
Sadly i don't have a extra PSU, my gtx 1060 works fine on the same slot. I am looking for burnt SMDs on the PCB, but i can't find anything, no signs of burnt or damaged contact. Power connectors look fine to me

Sadly i don't have a extra PSU, my gtx 1060 works fine on the same slot. I am looking for burnt SMDs on the PCB, but i can't find anything, no signs of burnt or damaged contact. Power connectors look fine to me
Would suggest you to source one or borrow one from a friend. As suggested by a previous reply, it could just be a fried rail, and not able to supply the desired juice to drive the card. 750 is of course decent, but it could just be a simple as that. Other than that you’ll just have narrowed down that the card is the problem. And seek a remedial measure for that alone.

Would suggest you to source one or borrow one from a friend. As suggested by a previous reply, it could just be a fried rail, and not able to supply the desired juice to drive the card. 750 is of course decent, but it could just be a simple as that. Other than that you’ll just have narrowed down that the card is the problem. And seek a remedial measure for that alone.
Better try your gpu on someones pc as people giving their psu is it tough..

2 SMD's came off the PCB, you resoldered them, but are they even working anymore? And how did they come off while attaching a fan?

I dont think your PSU is the issue. I have a strong feeling your GPU has conked off, more because of the SMD's having come off rather than the fan incident.

Will recommend you to test your 2080 with any nearest pc dealer, they'll test gpu with different psu and motherboards. Also where did you got SMD's soldered, at home or at shop?

2 SMD's came off the PCB, you resoldered them, but are they even working anymore? And how did they come off while attaching a fan?

I dont think your PSU is the issue. I have a strong feeling your GPU has conked off, more because of the SMD's having come off rather than the fan incident.
idk how they came off,I too agree something is up with the gpu
Will recommend you to test your 2080 with any nearest pc dealer, they'll test gpu with different psu and motherboards. Also where did you got SMD's soldered, at home or at shop?
Thank you for all the replies, i will be taking it to a nearby pc shop. I got it soldered from a mobile repair shop

Pretty much the title, computer crashed all of a sudden yesterday while plugging in a fan while it was powered on( yes it was, stupid of me to do so).

:facepalm:

Gpu (rtx 2080 Super) showed temperature like -40c to -20c in msi afterburner. I removed the gpu and I noticed 2 smd came off the pcb, so i tried it without those and later got those soldered on to the PCB, still nothing.

:dead:

Alternate title: How to brick a 2080

It can be a good coincidence that the gpu was anyways nearing its death and the fan issue only came as an excuse and probably a .1% electric short might had killed that reserved life of the card.

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions, i got my card working a bit( resoldering those smd at a shop). Using IGPU, it is now detected in bios, and with drivers it is now detected in windows and msi afterburner. It gets hot, i can apply my overclock settings and fan profiles. But i get no display, also the temperature shown to me in msi afterburner is -40c and 16000c in task manager.

So far here is what i have tried:
Swapping for my 1060
different pcie slot
safe mode
DDU
vBIOS flash using nvflash
cmos reset

Could you help me?

Thanks again

Last edited:
with drivers it is now detected in windows and msi afterburner. It gets hot, i can apply my overclock settings and fan profiles. But i get no display, also the temperature shown to me in msi afterburner is -40c and 16000c in task manager.
What you said is quite confusing..
At one side you mention you can apply oc settings and can monitor in msi burner but you also say no display!

What you said is quite confusing..
At one side you mention you can apply oc settings and can monitor in msi burner but you also say no display!
Sorry if it comes out a bit confusing, but i already mentioned in the reply that i am using i gpu- intel hd 4600

Back