Graphic Cards GPU shutting down randomly

Athar Muneeb

Disciple
So i have an Msi Gtx 980ti blower edition gpu which i bought second-hand from someone over a year ago.
I have been running it fine until now. I was playing valorant a week ago and my monitor just went black and crashed after 10 secs or so. I tried turning my pc on but it was crashing right after the boot up screen.
I tried checking the temps(peak 85°) and tried again the next day it worked and i downclocked and turned down power limit from 100 to 90 , it was working fine for 4 days but now today it happened again.
Things i have tried:
  1. tried installing latest and old graphics drivers
  2. cleaned the GPU and applied new thermal paste
  3. reduced the powerlimit to 90
  4. used different cables, different hdmi and displayport cables
  5. installed a fresh windows 10 OS.
  6. Changed the PSU from old Seasonic 620 to Corsair TX 750.
Temps don't seem to be the problem cause i increased the airflow in my case now the highest it goes is just around 80° in furmark. The crashing just happens randomly anytime. And all other components seem to be working fine as i booted my pc without the gpu and it was running fine. And by Crashing i mean display turns off but fans keep spinning and i have to manually turn off the psu switch.

Rest of the specs:
i5 7600k
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GD5 V1
gigabyte motherboard
16gb corsair ram
Seasonic s12II 620 PSU
256gb nvme samsung

Referred to event viewer during crash times?
Screenshot (26).png

GPU VRAM could be the problem.
Try another GPU to be sure.
already did, 1050ti,
it ran fine.

980ti is a decade old card so naturally it got aged and probably breathing his last days hence asked to once check event viewer as sometimes unusual things can get captured.
Better upgrade to a recent gpu as prices have already crashed everywhere.

Last edited:
reduce power to 70-75% and repaste the card, change thermal pads if thats possible....try not to push too much by lowering res and all it should last for a few months giving you time to get something new.

Do a vram test using occt tool if there is any error in vram it will show and if there is then you are done. Then only vram replacement can help.

Try changing your PCIE slot, my display use to go blank though i could hear the sound of the video or game I was playing, I thought it was my graphics card , changed the slots it's working now

Back