Graphic Cards Graphics card not being detected

ananyabasu said:
Well this is the present scenario .. took it to the computer shop and they checked it there .. guess what it worked well in there .. they also changed the dvi to vga converter to check whether the problem was in the converter or not .. but the converter was ok .. the power supply they used was a aero cool one with 730 watts ..here's the model no Aerocool E78-730
For the corsair one they told me they would refund me 3000 rupees and in return I have to take this one .. I told them that I would be getting the TX750 from them under the same condition but they didn't agree with it ..:no: ..:mad: ..I am not sure whether this meets the condition for the 5850,please tell ..this PSU was bought on 9/11/09 anybody wanna buy I have the bill and box with me .. please let me know then I would be able to get the TX750.

Please also tell whether changing the PSU will rectify the problem or not.

No stick with a tx 750 for exchange

Word of warning about the TX750 - it's noisy, hot and not as efficient or high quality as the Seasonic-built Corsairs, which is pretty much all the HX lines except the 1000. I have both the VX450 and the TX750, and though the TX will solve your problem it may not be the best solution.

That said, neither is the Aero-Cool or whatever they used.

The issue you're facing is that the power draw for the second PCIE connector is coming off a single cable run, or a single point on the PCB, placing that under stress. Try juggling the order of the molex connectors you're using to see if it helps - use one exit run for each of the twin molexes of the adapter. If it's not, you're SOL as the VX has just the one PCIE connector, even though it is capable of working with your card (works with my 4870x2, a far hungrier card).

Good luck, try and get a decent supply. The HX620 would be perfect for you, as I see it.

As I had posted earlier, were you running the second PCIE conenctor through a single molex connector? or were you using double molex connectors. If it can power a 4870X2 it should be able to power a 5850. the 5850 consumes as much power as a 4870.

AMD's Radeon HD 5850 arrives - The Tech Report - Page 9

A 250 watts load (give or take a couple of watts) at load should not be a sweat for the VX450.

cranky said:
Word of warning about the TX750 - it's noisy, hot and not as efficient or high quality as the Seasonic-built Corsairs, which is pretty much all the HX lines except the 1000. I have both the VX450 and the TX750, and though the TX will solve your problem it may not be the best solution.

That said, neither is the Aero-Cool or whatever they used.

The issue you're facing is that the power draw for the second PCIE connector is coming off a single cable run, or a single point on the PCB, placing that under stress. Try juggling the order of the molex connectors you're using to see if it helps - use one exit run for each of the twin molexes of the adapter. If it's not, you're SOL as the VX has just the one PCIE connector, even though it is capable of working with your card (works with my 4870x2, a far hungrier card).

Good luck, try and get a decent supply. The HX620 would be perfect for you, as I see it.
Naw dude, I dont agree. I have a TX 750 and I dont even hear it on full load and its certainly not hot. And, lets not even go into the topic of efficiency.
See these reviews:
Corsair TX750 750W Power Supply Review - Page 6
Icrontic Corsair TX750 Power Supply Review
"Considering the amount of load I put on this power supply, I was half expecting the fan speed to increase quite a bit by the System Stress test. Fortunately, the huge 140mm fan stayed quiet throughout the tests and was quite a bit more silent that the majority of the other fans in the case it was installed into." -Hardwarecanucks

The fact is, this is one of the best PSUs you can find on the face of the earth.

However getting a HX 620 for the current scenario would make more sense as it is modular.

I don't need to see a review for a power supply I own - compared to the VX450, it's terribly clackety. In any case, the review is totally subjective, with no temperature readings or a sound level measurement. Worthless, in my book, there's not even a ripple measurement for any line except the +12V.

Go look at the Corsair support forums, it's the worst supply Corsair makes. The fan noise is a pretty big issue - bit-tech touches on this in their review. You'll notice that not a single major PSU review site has reviewed it. I'd like to see a Hardware Secrets or SPCR review. Without that, the only measurement is by comparison.

Hearing is subjective anyway, unless you directly compare two supplies, you're never going to know the truth. I have four power supplies, two VX450s, an Antec 380 and the TX750. The TX is the noisiest by a country mile. If you can't hear it, good for you, but I can, and it's not for me.

And with a 9950BE and a 4870X2, I usualy draw about 450 watts from the supply, and it pushes out a lot of hot air from the exhaust area. I've actually measured it at 30 degrees above ambient (around 65 degrees C). When *you* say full load, what is the hardware you're talking about? If it's the rig in your sig, you'd be lucky to have a third of the power consumption of the load I put on mine.

It is definitely not
one of the best PSUs you can find on the face of the earth
for sure. There are many better, even from Corsair's own stable.

They checked with a 3650 and it worked ok .. also they didn't check using my VX450 they used a different 450 watt power supply of their own and it worked .. should I be changing the 4 to 6 pin connectors and check?

cranky said:
I don't need to see a review for a power supply I own - compared to the VX450, it's terribly clackety. In any case, the review is totally subjective, with no temperature readings or a sound level measurement. Worthless, in my book, there's not even a ripple measurement for any line except the +12V.

Go look at the Corsair support forums, it's the worst supply Corsair makes. The fan noise is a pretty big issue - bit-tech touches on this in their review. You'll notice that not a single major PSU review site has reviewed it. I'd like to see a Hardware Secrets or SPCR review. Without that, the only measurement is by comparison.

Hearing is subjective anyway, unless you directly compare two supplies, you're never going to know the truth. I have four power supplies, two VX450s, an Antec 380 and the TX750. The TX is the noisiest by a country mile. If you can't hear it, good for you, but I can, and it's not for me.

And with a 9950BE and a 4870X2, I usualy draw about 450 watts from the supply, and it pushes out a lot of hot air from the exhaust area. I've actually measured it at 30 degrees above ambient (around 65 degrees C). When *you* say full load, what is the hardware you're talking about? If it's the rig in your sig, you'd be lucky to have a third of the power consumption of the load I put on mine.

It is definitely not for sure. There are many better, even from Corsair's own stable.

"I'd like to see a Hardware Secrets or SPCR review. Without that, the only measurement is by comparison."

Here ya go buddy:
Corsair TX750W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

This unit also has all the basic stuff everyone is looking for nowadays: high efficiency, active PFC, excellent cooling solution, enough power to feed high-end video cards, five-year warranty and the best of all: it can really deliver its rated 750 W at 50º C. Not only that. During our tests we could pull up to 900 W at 45º C. So you will be basically buying a 900 W power supply paying the price of a 750 W one. What is sweeter than that? -Hardwaresecrets

However they do mention that its electrical noise is a bit higher than what is EXPECTED but falls within ATX standards. So an average joe should not even notice this.

Agreed, I dont have as many power supplies as you have. And thats exactly why I go to major H/W sites to compare things that I dont have and thats what a majority of people do when it comes to buying. Frankly speaking, I will take a review over what *you* say any day.

(To everyone else: I dont know why Cranky is comparing a 450W PSU to a 750W one). As far as my H/W knowledge goes, in exchange of higher performance, you lose something. Do not forget TX 750 has a larger fan than all of the PSUs mentioned above and thus end up being more efficient and a very li'l bit noisier. I did not know that somebody would notice. I did not. Hardwaresecrets and all the other review sites did, but they said its only a li'l bit noisier which nobody will notice.)

And before you start pushing around your views about *your* full load, have a look at the configuration that the OP has. He would certainly not have a temperature *30 degree C above ambient* with that configuration. Man, even I did not have that when I used to run xFire on this PSU with another 4870 a few months ago. Room temperature was about 24 25 C. And even if the exhaust air is hot, then how does it matter. After all its the exhaust. Its going out, not coming in. Its supposed to be hot. (To everyone else: I can guarantee you its not as hot as cranky is claiming to be).

And as far as the noise level goes, I have a 5.1 speaker set due to which I cant hear anything. Maybe you will hear *some* noise if you are just sitting in front of your computer doing nothing with your ceiling fan off and speakers off. But then so is the case with every other high end power supply.

Peace out brotha..:cool2:

Anyways, what I want the OP to know is that for the current configuration that he has TX 750 would be overkill (OVERKILL, not bad by any means) and HX 620 will be more suitable as its enough for his needs AND modular.

Aces170 said:
As I had posted earlier, were you running the second PCIE conenctor through a single molex connector? or were you using double molex connectors. If it can power a 4870X2 it should be able to power a 5850. the 5850 consumes as much power as a 4870.

AMD's Radeon HD 5850 arrives - The Tech Report - Page 9

A 250 watts load (give or take a couple of watts) at load should not be a sweat for the VX450.

As much I remember I tried both of them .. and none of them worked .. does the 5850 needs two PCI-E connectors directly from the PSU?

Not really, did you try as Cranky suggested take the molex connectors from a branch which is unused (ie not connected to either HDD's or the fans).
Just to be clear the connector should look as follows:
Molex-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-350x35.gif

I am using the 4 to 6 pin connectors which came with the graphics card ..the 4 pin has 3 pins ie the last pin is missing whereas the 6 pin one has 5 pins one pin in the bottom middle is missing .. Is this normal?This is not the case with the 6 pin connector from the PSU.:huh:

ultimabasher said:
For the sake of god, use the one on the PSU to check.

VX 450 provides only one PCI-E connector .. checked it using the AEROCOOL 730 one which had two pci-e connectors it worked ..what to do now?:(

ananyabasu said:
VX 450 provides only one PCI-E connector .. checked it using the AEROCOOL 730 one which had two pci-e connectors it worked ..what to do now?:(

Try to xchange ur psu with TX 650 or VX 550

ananyabasu said:
I am using the 4 to 6 pin connectors which came with the graphics card ..the 4 pin has 3 pins ie the last pin is missing whereas the 6 pin one has 5 pins one pin in the bottom middle is missing .. Is this normal?This is not the case with the 6 pin connector from the PSU.:huh:

Is any of them similar to the pic I had posted, VX 450 has one PCIE connector which you can connect for the second one can you post a pic of what you are using, in addition have you used it as Cranky mentioned?

^^ That clears the thing, its the right cable now as Cranky suggested have you tried connecting it to a dedicated branch (Ie where none of the molex connectors are connected either to case fans or the hdd/optical devices? ). I doubt if a VX450 is unable to power a 5850 given its requirements are similar or lower to that of a 4870...

In any case if you are getting a good deal on Corsair HX620 get it, its got some rave reviews and should serve you well in the long run.

Aces170 said:
^^ That clears the thing, its the right cable now as Cranky suggested have you tried connecting it to a dedicated branch (Ie where none of the molex connectors are connected either to case fans or the hdd/optical devices? ). I doubt if a VX450 is unable to power a 5850 given its requirements are similar or lower to that of a 4870...
In any case if you are getting a good deal on Corsair HX620 get it, its got some rave reviews and should serve you well in the long run.

yes that is right btw even my gtx 280 cannot handle 450 vx due to power voltage issue

so the power draw more peak loading and the card gone kaput due to junk display error after i rma the card for replacement new psu also change to corsair 750 tx it ran stable and no issue :D

Damn!!I need to pay again for a HX620??:SThis leads me to another trouble .. I have a APC 650VA UPS .. how much backup time will be provided?:huh:

Back