Graphics RIG for Studio

^^ He is doing graphics design, not video editing OR rendering what will he do with dual Xeons.

The Quadro and Sandy Bridge solution will do just fine. Let him get a SSD instead of a Xeon, fair trade off I say.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ He is doing graphics design, not video editing OR rendering what will he do with dual Xeons.

The Quadro and Sandy Bridge solution will do just fine. Let him get a SSD instead of a Xeon, fair trade off I say.
TECH HUNTER said:
I will be using photoshop, 3ds max and animations only,No video editing.

I hope it helped !

Core i7 2600K = 4 cores running at 3.4 Ghz.

2 Xeon 5645 = 2 x 6 cores running at 2.4 Ghz

Though you may have to increase your budget a bit. Other gurus here might help regarding the performance query of yours.

Core i7 3930K, Quadro 4000 should fit in nicely with your budget. Most important is your display and calibrating it/them. Asus PA246Q is the minimum you should go for if you are doing serious image work. Avoid e-IPS panels like U2311H. Avoid GeForce/Radeon cards (no good for the Maya or 3DSMax, plus output is only 8-bit). You should also consider multiple displays - depending on your process it can majorly increase your productivity way more than any other piece of hardware. Samsung has released a couple of promising and reasonably priced Super PLS displays - not sure when they hit Indian market though.

systembuilder said:
I hope it helped !

Yeah I'm using MAYA 2012 on Phenom IIx4 processor, works just as well, don't see the point of making him shed extra cash for dual Xeons + in college we render our work IN MENTAL RAY using AMD Athlon 4000+ processors, takes time but we get our output [graphics card are old Quadro 310's].

xeon is designed for Servers, where stability is a big concern.. like in a dual socket cpu setup- if one fails, the other one can keep the data intact/ can do the job till the other one gets fixed..!

so I would say i7 is a better choice .. and as for the gpu- i'd say get a quadro 4000 for ~ 50k

Id seriously be looking at SB-E too. Socket 2011 is the future. 8Core/16 thread xeons for socket 2011 are on the way and those are absolute monsters !! The best part is they will work in regular x79 Mobo's too :)

A stock SB-E 3960x gets close to 11 points in Cinebench 11.5 and 13.5 odd points at 4.5ghz.

A dual 1366 setup with 2x 5645 will give you pretty much the same ( 13-15 points) ... I have 2x 5690's with 24 giggs of ram, at stock i get 18 odd points and when overclocked to 4.2 ghz i get 21.5 odd points

The New 8 core / 16 Thread xeons that are coming for socket 2011, are already hitting 13.5 odd points at STOCK at only 3.1 Ghz !!! Overclocked they should easily hit 16 + points ! :)

Get a x79 Sabertooth + 3930K proc ( total should be like 50 k combined)

Quadro 4000 for 40 K

16gb of ram to start with - 6K odd

Corsair Ax850 psu - 11K

Corsair 600 T case - 9K

Asus 23 inch S-ips screen 16K

Corsair H100 Cooler - 7k

Add Hard Drives of your choice. Id highly recommend a 120 GB SSD if you can squeeze it :)

This is what im building myself for pretty much the same purpose but with some changes :)

Cheers and kind regards !

Back