GRE/MS related queries - n00b alert !

Dark Star

ex-Mod
So I want to do MS in CSE/IT . Currently a btech student with 8.8+ cgpa. So I want to know everything I need to know about GRE/MS and whatnot.

Here are few things I want to, jotted down in easy points-

1. How hard/easy is GRE paper and what are the prerequisite of getting through. I mean learning material getting started and all.
2. I am freelancer author and developer , have written developer/application centric whitepaper/articles for many international magazines. Will that help of any sorts ?
3. I am primarily looking for scholarships. I've heard that colleges offer upto 100pc; scholarships. I'll do my best (if applicable) do gain scholarships,
4. Which country to aim for and what college.

Schloarship is a must have for me. Donno if parents will allow without it cause heard the expenditure for MS is heavy on pockets.

Have handful of experience with technology of all kinds, have more than good grip on linux, c++, java, oops, python, latex and being a TE guy hardware enthusiast.

If not awarded scholarships how much expense should a student bear inorder to complete his MS ?

I know I am mixing GRE and College but I have literally no idea how to begin with.

Regards

You can begin by checking out Edulix - Premier Site for Scholars - 'Education Crowd-Sourced'

Which year of your BTech are you in?

So I want to do MS in CSE/IT . Currently a btech student with 8.8+ cgpa. So I want to know everything I need to know about GRE/MS and whatnot.

1. How hard/easy is GRE paper and what are the prerequisite of getting through. I mean learning material getting started and all.
2. I am freelancer author and developer , have written developer/application centric whitepaper/articles for many international magazines. Will that help of any sorts ?
Could be helpful. Not necessarily though.

3. I am primarily looking for scholarships. I've heard that colleges offer upto 100pc; scholarships. I'll do my best (if applicable) do gain scholarships,
Scholarships and assistantships are two different things. A scholarship pays you to study while an assistantship involves you working to get paid. Assistantships are in 2 forms primarily, research and teaching. As an RA, you would work for a professor assisting him with his research while as a TA you would be assisting a professor with teaching his class. That might involve taking classes, grading tests/homeworks or conducting laboratory sessions.

Scholarships are a LOT harder to come by. Assistantships are comparatively easier to get (Not that there is any guarantee here either).

Rather than a country, you should be aiming for a university/department. It's a lot of work, figuring out what you want to do and where you want to do it, I would suggest getting started asap.

If not awarded scholarships how much expense should a student bear inorder to complete his MS ?

Depends on where you end up. Living expenses/tution/fees can all be variable from $15-20k per year, all the way to $80-100k per year.

Have you explored the possibility of GATE and studying at someplace in India itself? There are a bunch of great institutions (even outside of the IITs/IISc :)).
I believe @Chaos & @Lord_Nemesis have both graduated from IIITs (in Hyderabad & Allahabad respectively).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can begin by checking out Edulix - Premier Site for Scholars - 'Education Crowd-Sourced'

Which year of your BTech are you in?

I am in final year , will complete by Btech by June. So should i appear in the paper by fall 2012 or fall 2013 ?

Could be helpful. Not necessarily though.

What if I plan on taking CS related fields. Apart form it, how am I suppose to know the courses offered by different univ.

Will check edulix soon.

Scholarships and assistantships are two different things. A scholarship pays you to study while an assistantship involves you working to get paid. Assistantships are in 2 forms primarily, research and teaching. As an RA, you would work for a professor assisting him with his research while as a TA you would be assisting a professor with teaching his class. That might involve taking classes, grading tests/homeworks or conducting laboratory sessions.

Scholarships are a LOT harder to come by. Assistantships are comparatively easier to get (Not that there is any guarantee here either).

I am fine with both Sc and AS . Whatever help that I get financially will be helpful. Plus I'll continue doing apps and article projects in the pipeline so that helps as well.

Rather than a country, you should be aiming for a university/department. It's a lot of work, figuring out what you want to do and where you want to do it, I would suggest getting started asap.

Ok, so apart from Edulix is there any other resoruce that I should work on to get sorted on the Univ front. What are the best/good univ should I be aiming for and what is the bare minimum score need to get through with financial aids ?

Depends on where you end up. Living expenses/tution/fees can all be variable from $15-20k per year, all the way to $80-100k per year.

Have you explored the possibility of GATE and studying at someplace in India itself? There are a bunch of great institutions (even outside of the IITs/IISc :)).
I believe Chaos & @Lord_Nemesis have both graduated from IIITs (in Hyderabad & Allahabad respectively).

Haven't kept gate in my TODO list, but if @Chaos and @Lord Nemesis chip in , might consider that as an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am suffering from the same boat ,would like to know as well all the basics and knowledge.

I am also a b.tech cs student currently in 3rd year. Spread some light on this guys.

I am in final year , will complete by Btech by June. So should i appear in the paper by fall 2012 or fall 2013 ?
You are too late for Fall 2012 admissions. Applications for Fall (Aug ) admissions, close by Dec the previous year.

What if I plan on taking CS related fields. Apart form it, how am I suppose to know the courses offered by different univ.

I am fine with both Sc and AS . Whatever help that I get financially will be helpful. Plus I'll continue doing apps and article projects in the pipeline so that helps as well.
What field you plan on studying in doesn't affect if your articles will help you. While they will demonstrate your interest/knowledge in those domains, how related that is to course/research work depends on where you go and what exactly you want to do. CS related fields is WAYY too broad. There are a whole bunch of specializations with competent departments/faculty across the world. You really need to figure out what you want to do. It could even simply be a general CS degree, but that will just reduce chances of you landing an assistantship.

Also, it's not a question of 'you being fine' with getting a scholarship or an assistantship. I'm trying to tell you that Scholarships are incredibly hard to get (close to impossible).
Assistantships are relatively easier, but would require that you can demonstrate the ability to contribute to a research project (for a research assistantship), or the capability to teach.

Ok, so apart from Edulix is there any other resoruce that I should work on to get sorted on the Univ front. What are the best/good univ should I be aiming for and what is the bare minimum score need to get through with financial aids ?
University websites. There is no 'bare minimum score'. No one looks at just your GRE scores. For that matter, the GRE scores are mostly irrelevant as long as you don't totally flop out on them. Best/good univ is for you to figure out based on your interests/financial capabilities.

Schloarship is a must have for me. Donno if parents will allow without it cause heard the expenditure for MS is heavy on pockets.

Have handful of experience with technology of all kinds, have more than good grip on linux, c++, java, oops, python, latex and being a TE guy hardware enthusiast.

I know I am mixing GRE and College but I have literally no idea how to begin with.

Regards

So here's the deal - if you apply for MS, it means almost no one will offer you aid. You'd have to go there on your funds and then search for an on campus job which might be able to fund you. If you apply for a PhD and if you have a good resume, its easier to get aid. However the thing to remember is that the competition for the PhD seats is a lot higher than MS seats.

How much it costs completely depends on the college/university. Government ones are a bit cheaper, private ones are expensive. However you might have to spend roughly 50k per semester even in the cheapest ones after you include your stay, food, rent etc.

As far as GRE is concerned, its a cramming exam. Cram up those word lists. The remainder of the exam is not that big a deal anyway. The math section is for kids.

Dark Star : I am applying for Fall 2013 (we have discussed a lot about this :p)

Well, I was in the same state before (like 1 month ago). Let's start with GRE. You can easily crack GRE if your English is good, but you will have to prepare verbal workouts from books (Authors like Barron, Princeton Review, Official Guide are sufficient). For Maths, I think questions from same books are enough. Quantitative reasoning is very easy and you can get good score in it (like 155+ easily). For verbals read Verbal Workout by Princeton Review, Barron's new GRE etc. Learn the words, don't by heart them.

Most of the US universities in USA will ask you for TOEFL / IELTS scores as well. As most of the universities in US are accepting TOEFL, I am giving it in couple of weeks after my GRE exam which is on 8th October 2012.

Well, honestly I don't have much idea about Financial Aid or Scholarships. All I want to get is RA or TA so badly, will prepare myself for it though. If not RA/TA, I will look for in-campus job which can be sufficient to pay my living expenses. Tution Fees, Taxes (if applicable) will be covered from Dad's funding (10-15%) and Loan (85-90%).

Well, I might also need some help with University selection.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Some books I am using :

https://www.flipkart.com/cracking-n...8197&ref=8931d821-cfa2-45a3-aecc-f31b13ac14f3

https://www.flipkart.com/verbal-wor...8210&ref=8931d821-cfa2-45a3-aecc-f31b13ac14f3 (Get it from Landmarkonthenet for 420 bucks)

The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test 0071074449: Book: Educational Testing Service (9780071074445) | Flipkart.com

Barron's New GRE 8175156414: Book: Sharon Weiner Green (9788175156418) | Flipkart.com

The CS Subjects :
First select in which area you want to learn. There are many streams in MS in CS. Few being :

Artificial Intelligence
Introduction to NLP
Machine Translation & Information Extraction
Multi Agent Systems
Speech Processing
Distributed DBMS
Web Data & Knowledge Management
Data Warehousing & Data Mining
Advanced Database Systems
Digital Image Processing
Computer Graphics
Computer Vision
Multimedia Systems
Pattern Recognition
Advanced Signal & Image Processing
Soft Computing
Machine Learning
Advanced Computer Graphics
Cryptography and Network Security
Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems
Principles of Programming Languages
Programming Language Processors
Computer Architecture
Numerical Methods
Theory of Computation
Advanced Algorithms
Spatial Databases

[I copy pasted :p]

These are just examples to get you started. There are still many ! Now you might know about these Or may not. Just simply visit MIT Courseware Or Coursera & join the courses which you feel interested. Within a month you will find out what you want to study [even if that decision goes wrong, later you can change again]

US of A :
Cracking GRE is very easy, but getting into USA & getting into good univs is very tough. I don't want to discourage you, but since 2010, they are rejecting visas very much. They are just looking for a reason to reject :-/ In Visa interview process if they somehow assume you are going to stay in USA forever, then gonna stamp you as Potential Immigrant 214B & reject your Visa. And you will be asked about this next time again, when you re-apply for Visa.

However, if you can make it to any top univs then it visa will be very easy.

Top Univs :
There are many good universities in USA. But remember GRE score does not entirely contribute to admission process. First & foremost weightage will be given to Research Experience in the area of field you want to study. If you have worked under any renowned professor / published any papers, then it will be useful. Or internships at companies like Microsoft or IITs. Secondly, they consider your academics. Since you are 8+ pointer, I guess it's good. Then LOR from professors you worked / studied under. Even SOP & extra curricular activities / prizes etc.

What I am trying to say is, you need to have good ~ balanced profile. A 330+ GRE score alone cannot land you in a top 5 univs.

TA / RA :
This even tougher to get :-/ But however once you decide your univ & stream, contact the respective professor. mail them & try to impress them. This will help you alot.

If no TA/RA...
Since you are good in programming languages, you can make use of that knowledge to earn money. A friend of mine has become part time web developer & earns decently. Apart from that there will be campus jobs too. But still education in USA is costly & you cannot completely rely on your earnings to pay tuition fees [though that depends]. But in countries like Canada education is cheaper & you can save money & pay tuition fees.

Funding / Scholarships / Tuition Fees :
Getting a scholarship nowadays is almost impossible :-/ Tuition fee varies from university to university, if you get into top univ then expect fee around 40lakhs INR/2 years to 1 crore. Again, this could vary. So you have to rely on loan OR own funding. However, according to a friend of mine, you could earn 50~70 lakhs INR / year once you complete your MS. If you manage to save good amount then you will able to repay the loan within 2~3 years.

Preparation :
GRE is easy to crack. You need to have lots of patience since you will have to mug up english words [which you never use again :p] throughout your preparation. If you can devote 3-4 hours everyday & 6-7 hours in weekends, 3 months are sufficient for GRE.

Maths - Very easy ! If you are not confident, then get Nova GRE & solve maths from it.
Verbal - Barron's & Kaplan are enough. If you do 1500+ perfectly, I can assure you 310+. (Max is 340)

1500+ words - 310~315
2000+ words - 320~325
2500+ words - >330

There are 3 categories of words. Highly frequent - 100, Frequent - 300 [You must do these two type of words] & rest belong to less frequent. Google for list of words.

Concentrate more on Reading Comprehensions. They are tougher now compared to earlier.

Get this software called GRE Bible & you can easily do words.

Let me tell you something, instead of mugging words you could actually 'learn' them. But it takes lots of time. It's easy, you need to understand root words, pre/suffixes & how to apply them & derive the meaning. For example, 'tele' means distance, based on that itself you can understand words like telephone, television, telepathy etc etc. I liked this approach very much. Read this book called Word Power Made Easy.

Lastly, solve from GRE Big Book.

Other options :
If you are good in CS subjects then consider giving Subject GRE for Computer Science. This will be tougher than GATE, but if you manage to get good marks then you could easily land in top univs.

One more option in higher studies in India itself. As pointed out earlier, there are good colleges apart from IITs & IISCs, like IIITs etc. They even offer MS by Research, MTech + PhD courses etc. You get 8k/month stipend, for TA - 12k/month & for RA - 20k/month [not sure about these figures]. Even some top companies can sponsor you & they will take care of your all expenses during your education.

But...MTech in IITs is not as good as BTech.

However getting into good college is lot tougher since competition in GATE is very much, especially in CS. This year 2.5 lakh CSE students are expected to give GATE :-/ & I am also preparing for GATE 2013.

If you study for GATE seriously then it will be lot helpful for you to crack Subject GRE.

Hope you find this post useful. If I am wrong anywhere, please correct me :)

Very good information given by all members above. I will only stress on the following points -

1. Research, research and research! I spent 4 months, 3 hours on average everyday poring over Edulix and Pagalguy - have read threads with hundreds of pages before I finally decided what I want to do and where I want to apply. Jot down your main aim for a MS - better study experience or settling there or just doing something different. This will help you finalize the university/department and amount of money which you want to spend.

2. GRE will be easy for you if you managed to get a 8.8 GPA. Just keep a very short time duration for the preparation - 2/3 months is more than enough. I gave GMAT just for kicks. Got 680/800 with 20 days of preparation. Concentrate on English - don't get complacent. Just work at accuracy in Maths. Quite easy for an engineer.

3. Look at departments, not universities, like others said.

4. Getting entry into an MS in Canada is a whole lot tougher than getting it in USA. The universities are really research-focused there.

5. Don't rush - take your time and do something in the meantime. One of my friends applied for and got selected in COEP as a teacher. That definitely helped him secure a TA position when he finally reached his university 8 months later. Of course, he is doing a course-based MS and doesn't want to continue as a teacher.

Best of luck!

I am currently in 3rd yr. CSE engg. and i already had a drop....and the papers which i gave during my current exam didnt gone so well....God
forbid...but if i get one more drop...would i still be able to pursue
MS through GRE/IELTS?

so now culd u help me to decide whether to go for GRE ->US or IELTS->UK which would be a better chance to score good universities....coz i hav heard tht in US academics matters a lot..

so now culd u help me to decide whether to go for GRE ->US or IELTS->UK which would be a better chance to score good universities....coz i hav heard tht in US academics matters a lot..
yes, however you can balace them with your essay and recommendations. job condition in UK is ain't that great and post education visa period is very less, 90 days if I am not wrong. So I would suggest USA. You can check out canada, german, switz, aus etc also for cheaper options

Hi....I took my gre on 21st october 2014.My official scores are not available yet.So i called the ETS and they told me that my scores are on security hold.Has any one faced the same problem.Please help me, i don't know what to do now :(

Did they mention why it is on security hold?. Go to GRE facebook groups or MS in USA fall 2015 groups and post there. You wont get much help here

Back