Laptops Great prices on Macbooks (and other stuff) from Apple India on Student discounts

Macinstein said:
That's your choice dude.:)

But you can't compare Apples to Oranges.:p

And coming to the point ;a Mac runs on OS X which is way better than a Dell running on Windows.
Infact 1GB RAM is good enough for a MAC to run flawlessly.:D

Anish said:
Mate.. OSX runs smoother on 1GB than Windows on 3GB ;)

And that OSX concept is different, you have to experience it and appreciate it to get the point. For regular day to day use, Windows / Linux is more than enough, but when it comes to productivity on specific apps (Mostly AV), OSX kills everything by miles.

Dont you guys know that any laptop or desktop can run Mac OS X???
I know that some features(like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) may not work if compatible Mac drivers are not present but you are saving a lot of your (possibly hard earned)money if you buy a regular laptop and install Mac OS X on it. Why should you waste money on stuff which is not VFM in these periods of recession???

hotshot05 said:
Dont you guys know that any laptop or desktop can run Mac OS X???

I know that some features(like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) may not work if compatible Mac drivers are not present but you are saving a lot of your (possibly hard earned)money if you buy a regular laptop and install Mac OS X on it. Why should you waste money on stuff which is not VFM in these periods of recession???

[sarcasm]

Oh yes... it is so simple... just pop-in the DVD of OSX and off you go installing it on any laptop/desktop. Any John Doe from accounting department or Jignesh Patel from second year commerce can install OSX as easy as eating a pie afterall.

Nice idea there mate... very nice. :)

[/end sarcasm]

If you are looking just for similar specs then there are some notebooks which have same / better specs and costs much less.

e.g. Extensa 4630 with exact same config (9400M) is available for less than 40k. Without 9400M its available for 35k odd.

Then there are couple of HPs, There is Studio 14 with HD3450,4Gig ram, 320G HDD, LED BL Display, which I recently purchased for 55k.

And if you are ready to do away with Intel HD45 / x4500 video then there are plenty for less than 45k :p

The thing is, windows users will hesitate to switch to Apple and vice versa. No amount of convincing works.

^^Well, you may find other laptops with similar specs cheaper than a Mac. But it is cheaper only if you don't include the cost of software. Macbooks are always bundled with iLife and iWork. How much does MS Office cost ?

Gurpartap Singh said:
P.S.: I'm not a fanboi. I'm talking about VFM from the opinion my Macs have built in me.

Dont bother. Majority of Apple-bashers in this forum consider you a fanboy from the moment you bought an apple product :)

Pat said:
^^Well, you may find other laptops with similar specs cheaper than a Mac. But it is cheaper only if you don't include the cost of software. Macbooks are always bundled with iLife and iWork. How much does MS Office cost ?

Dont even get into the software cost argument :p

Everyone here knows thats irrelevant for 99% students :p And if they really decide to be ultra honest, there is always openoffice and plenty of freewares.

Thats not the problem, the problem is being ready to accept something. And when you are soo used to one thing, people dont like to change. I have owned macbook for roughly 7 months now since i got it through good 2nd hand deal and i hardly use it for any productive work only because I get the work done faster on system I am used to.

I honestly dont have time and patience when I get back home to sit on mac to complete my work, find alternatives to apps I use for my work and then learn those. And this is the case with most people who dont even want to be in such situation by spending their hard earned money.

It does not mean one platform is better than other, in the end its upto the end use, and that age old Apple is better argument goes out of window. And OS X still has long way to go when it comes to what an average person, teenager, student, kid wants from their computer. When that changes, then it will be a superior product for masses. if I gift my Macbook to my nephew who wont be able to play his fav game on it, he will curse me for giving him that instead of one of my laptops :p

e.g. Extensa 4630 with exact same config (9400M) is available for less than 40k. Without 9400M its available for 35k odd.

Then there are couple of HPs, There is Studio 14 with HD3450,4Gig ram, 320G HDD, LED BL Display, which I recently purchased for 55k.

All of these are pretty bulky machines funky, and I know you know it already :p

Machies comparable to the Macbook will be the XPS 13 and the Samsung X and they are substantially more expensive :)

Pat said:

Do you expect students in India to buy original stuff!!! :rofl:

Most students(including me) save the money which you (maybe) use for buying software and later use that money to buy a better specced laptop/PC or upgrade different components of a PC.
Not everyone has a lot of money to spend, especially when it comes to students.

And if ever I am forced to use original software, I will very happily choose OpenOffice instead of MS Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop and ImgBurn instead of Nero.:bleh: :tongue:
I dont even use MS Office now since if I require a Word Processor, I use AbiWord or WordPad. I dont require PowerPoint or Excel.

^^ all are 14inch which is not bulky by any means, and not that heavy. In fact Acer is just 100gms more than macbook white and just 1 cm wider.

Extensa 4630 is impressive offering from ACER to be honest. Very light and very compact for a 14incher. I only wish they had released it little earlier here as I bought studio 14 a week before this came out here.

And the price of 38,xxx is all inclusive for Extensa. The macbook white with student discount but with Mumbai taxes is going over 60k which puts it again right against xps 1330 as well :p

But its a MAC!!!

With a real OS, makes your work 120% more productive, a steal I say. :p

Jokes apart at 53K, its seriously a good buy, as I reckon MAC's ASS would be amongst the best (pun intented..) And you can always install windoze I reckon, if you wanna use the GPU for games...

Recently, I was almost going to purchase the white macbook after the student discount myself. In Delhi, I was quoted 55.5k all inclusive.

What kept me away however, were the following points:
1) The HDD capacity is way to low and I just didn't have the cash to swap it for a 250/320GB drive which I absolutely needed.
2) I needed extended warranty and was quoted Rs. 11.5k for a 3 year upgrade if taken along with the laptop, otherwise 15k (by contrast Lenovo, sony and HP charge approx. 5k for 3 year warranty)
3) No card reader built in
4) The fact that they've come up with a better model (unibody) and now this feels like the poor neglected half-brother of the real macbook.

In other 13", I felt the Dell XPS 13 offered better VFM (friend bought a pretty high end config along with nifty extras like backlit keypad, complete cover etc. for 62k) and the Lenovo Y330 at < 47k although with an inferior CPU and gfx but with a 320gb HDD and WLED screen was also a very good option.

Eventually I too went in for a 14.1" since I felt they offered better VFM at the loss of minor portability. I guess one of intangibles in this whole exercise could have been OS X vs. Windows but based on my personal experiences with both based on my needs, I quite like Vista and am currently looking forward to Windows 7 so that was a non issue for me.

Shripad said:
The macbook white with student discount but with Mumbai taxes is going over 60k which puts it again right against xps 1330 as well :p

You've got a point there, my 2 year old XPS M1330 which cost me 70+ k at the time is still serving me well.

Original Config:

1.8 Ghz T7100

2GB RAM

160 GB HDD

GeForce 8400GS

1 Year Complete Cover

Now thats 2 years ago when computer hardware cost considerably more.

Compared to today where a higher specced laptop comes for considerably less i think that the price quoted for the MacBook is unreasonable.

Two years down the line, i've gotten a free upgrade to a 320 GB HDD and 3 Year Complete Cover. This may not be the case with everyone else but it does go to show that ASS and customer care from other companies such as Dell can be just as good or even better than that offered by apple.

I've also spent some cash and upgraded to 4GB Ram.

The system runs OSX just fine, all I need for the full experience is a OSX compatible wireless card.

Apple hardware has traditionally been slower that its mainstream competitiors at the same price point. The percieved value is in its software. Which IMO is not all that fantastic; there might be places where it shines but overall I think the VFM scales are tipped in favor of the windows/linux systems.

Pat said:

iWork is not bundled.

clank said:
Recently, I was almost going to purchase the white macbook after the student discount myself. In Delhi, I was quoted 55.5k all inclusive.

What kept me away however, were the following points:
1) The HDD capacity is way to low and I just didn't have the cash to swap it for a 250/320GB drive which I absolutely needed.
2) I needed extended warranty and was quoted Rs. 11.5k for a 3 year upgrade if taken along with the laptop, otherwise 15k (by contrast Lenovo, sony and HP charge approx. 5k for 3 year warranty)
3) No card reader built in
4) The fact that they've come up with a better model (unibody) and now this feels like the poor neglected half-brother of the real macbook.
1. I hope you knew that you could upgrade to a higher capacity hard disk yourself without voiding the warranty ?
2. You can buy extended warranty from US. It is just a code that needs to be registered with on Apple site. I have seen people buy it for around 7k from eBay US.

Guys does anyone know how much does the basic white macbook cost after the recently introduced student discount ?

Edit: Just spoke to apple india and they said they're offering only 6% discount this time around compared to last year where they were offering somewhere around 12%. So anyone here who can get us a better deal ?

they were phasing out the older Macbooks last year which is why the discounts were better

This time, the website lists the white one at ~53K + taxes (4.2% for chennai)

after studen disc. vs 56850 + taxes without

Having said that, Anish does know some delaer in chennai who may be able to get you better discounts

rushabht said:
Guys does anyone know how much does the basic white macbook cost after the recently introduced student discount ?

Edit: Just spoke to apple india and they said they're offering only 6% discount this time around compared to last year where they were offering somewhere around 12%. So anyone here who can get us a better deal ?

I guess you are from Mumbai. Give a call to Mr. Arvind from Unicorn (Authorized Apple dealer in Andheri) and see what price he offers. PM me if you want his mobile number (or you can get Unicorn's contact numbers from apple's website).

@ DarkStar

You cannot compare the OSX to the Windows irrespective of you having 3GB RAM or whatever because OSX is a completely different concept. I would opt in for a MAC Book because I want to experience how the MAC works. :)

Back