Graphic Cards GTX 570 or HD 6970?

I seriously don't know why you people keep droning on about nVidia superior driver support + CUDA,

exactly, these guys dont understand CUDA isn't some funny graphical option to enable in a game. It makes sense for CUDA application developers, which are far too scanty...

And drivers of AMD are better than nVidia's. This is to all nVidia fan idiots

If someone needs good Linux driver support or CUDA then Nvidia scores higher than AMD.
But in games there is not much difference and its better to pick up the card that delivers more performance per $ and watt.

Hades. said:
There is no point in buying any gpu now coz your cpu would cause a huge bottleneck and you wouldn't be able to play even those games which hd6950/gtx570 can easily handle... Buy a decent gpu like hd6950 along with sb combo when you would upgrade your rig dont buy a gpu now... And btw after some months i think you would be able to buy hd6950 for much lesser price and yeah one thing more MSI has recently launched msi hd6950 twin frozr III and kept the dual bios thing intact so what i mean to say is that even hd6950 twin frozr 3 gpu wud be unlockable... So i think you would be able to buy this gpu when you would upgrade your rig in the next month or so...
Is 6950 Twin Frozr III is available in India?
What is the procedure of unlocking? Will you help me?

This is the review of MSI's HD6950 Twin Frozr III MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 2 GB Review - Page 1/27 | techPowerUp

In the review "Like on the AMD HD 69xx reference designs, a BIOS switch is present which lets you select between the original BIOS and a backup BIOS in case something goes wrong with a BIOS flash. Combined with the HD 6950 to HD 6970 modding potential this makes an unbeatable combo because it's almost impossible that you screw up enough to end up with a $300 paperweight."

you can refer the same site for the 6950-6970 mod by Wizzard AMD Radeon HD 6950 to HD 6970 Mod | techPowerUp

Now for the availability in India, I have no idea :( you can check with smcinternational.in or from fellow TE members suggestions.

In US its 308$ with shipping so roughly its around 13.5-14k and therefore Indian price should be around 19-20k again its just a guess:) I guess Hades, Gannu got the card for around 16.5k (sapphire brand i suppose) so therefore if you get this MSI for around 17-17.5k it would be awesome deal but for 20k (if its priced) i don't feel it to be a sweet deal.
Newegg.com - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

The only thing that scares me about the 570 is that it has a weak PWM.. lots of cards are known to have blown vrm's.

Id take a 580 anyday .. much stronger pwm

Also the 6970 isnt bad at all as well .. running one for a bit and its been pretty much problem free.. Catalyst preview 11.4 is pretty stable !

cheers and kind regards.

toolius said:
The only thing that scares me about the 570 is that it has a weak PWM.. lots of cards are known to have blown vrm's.
Id take a 580 anyday .. much stronger pwm
Also the 6970 isnt bad at all as well .. running one for a bit and its been pretty much problem free.. Catalyst preview 11.4 is pretty stable !
cheers and kind regards.

Off the topic question: toolius buddy -- does your sign lists the contents of your near by computer shop?:p:p

@ rohit a.k.a samurai ranger....
go for the msi hd6950 twin frozr 3 ....Its the best option in my opinion as also explained by hades...
And for the bios flash...I can do that for you...So stop thinking so much...and go and buy the damn rig...
Waiting eagerly for your sb rig.... :p

@ toolius.......i bow in front of ur rig's......hats off man...
awesome stuffs.... You can gift me a 580....dont have cash to buy one...lol :p

dragon hunter said:
@ rohit a.k.a samurai ranger....
go for the msi hd6950 twin frozr 3 ....Its the best option in my opinion as also explained by hades...
And for the bios flash...I can do that for you...So stop thinking so much...and go and buy the damn rig...
Waiting eagerly for your sb rig.... :p

@ toolius.......i bow in front of ur rig's......hats off man...
awesome stuffs.... You can gift me a 580....dont have cash to buy one...lol :p
Bro If 6950 twin frozr 3 is available in India then I'll surely grab it.

At launch the 6970 and 570 were equal. Though in more realistic tests like HardOCP it was much faster... But now, with the driver improvements, it sits right on top of 570 across the board, and is cheaper. No brainer, I would say. On HardOCP's "highest gameplay" tests, it even challenges the 580. Since you have a 1080p monitor, dual core and only 2GB, both are overkill. Get yourself a HD 6870 or something. Or, if you decide to upgrade the rest of your system, get a 560 or 6950.

Sub said:
At launch the 6970 and 570 were equal. Though in more realistic tests like HardOCP it was much faster... But now, with the driver improvements, it sits right on top of 570 across the board, and is cheaper. No brainer, I would say. On HardOCP's "highest gameplay" tests, it even challenges the 580. Since you have a 1080p monitor, dual core and only 2GB, both are overkill. Get yourself a HD 6870 or something. Or, if you decide to upgrade the rest of your system, get a 560 or 6950.
FYI.. he is planning to upgrade to Sandy Bridge..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

From techtree: " We finally come to our high-end category where we have the GTX 570 pitted against the HD 6970. This is a no brainer actually; we pick the GTX 570 for its overall better performance and the lower idle power draw. In most of the games we tested, the GTX 570 came out on top with great performance and silent operation. Again, if multi-monitor setup is what you're aiming for then get the AMD card else go for the cheaper GTX 570. "
Evil Twins: Graphics Card Edition > Graphics Cards > Techtree.com

just came across and thats why posted the above info and have no intentions in starting the war again :)

Back