Guess what's in here - Now with Answers

sTALKEr said:
^^ nothing?? how's that possible?

Freaky said:
IIRC, its 175$ for early termination :O

Rave said:
he told me its 175 + 70 x 2 as u have to pay two months rent

If you cancel it in the first month its nothing, no $175, rent upto the date u cancelled, and activation fee of $36 if its not cancelled within the first 3 days. After one month the charges are

$175 (etf)+$36 (activation)+$70 (first month's rent),

the best thing to do is to cancel it within the first 3 days, u dont pay anything! However most att reps will ask you to go back to apple store and return the device and all will be done there. Also never buy from ATT store in that case they can charge you a difference of retail price, which is supposed to be $600/$700.

So how you can do this is to tell them that you lost ur device, and then a ATT rep will cancel ur contract however, they will warn you that apple might charge you the difference in pricing, but in store you dont sign any contract stating this, so they cant and wont charge you, I did this and I'm still waiting for my final bill which should be $47 since I cancelled on the 7th day, so I'm being charged $36 + rental for 7 days. I can confirm the same once my bill comes.

i_max2k2 said:
If you cancel it in the first month its nothing, no $175, rent upto the date u cancelled, and activation fee of $36 if its not cancelled within the first 3 days. After one month the charges are

$175 (etf)+$36 (activation)+$70 (first month's rent),

the best thing to do is to cancel it within the first 3 days, u dont pay anything! However most att reps will ask you to go back to apple store and return the device and all will be done there. Also never buy from ATT store in that case they can charge you a difference of retail price, which is supposed to be $600/$700.

So how you can do this is to tell them that you lost ur device, and then a ATT rep will cancel ur contract however, they will warn you that apple might charge you the difference in pricing, but in store you dont sign any contract stating this, so they cant and wont charge you, I did this and I'm still waiting for my final bill which should be $47 since I cancelled on the 7th day, so I'm being charged $36 + rental for 7 days. I can confirm the same once my bill comes.

so the total would be 200 + 175 + 36 + 70 if u cancel within 3 days or what? i.e whats the effective price?

Rave said:
so the total would be 200 + 175 + 36 + 70 if u cancel within 3 days or what? i.e whats the effective price?

If you cancel within the first 3 days, the total would be

8gb $200+tax + 0 ETF + 0 Activation Fee + rent for 2-3days = $200+tax+rent

EDIT: I hope I'm not confusing anybody, but within the first 3 days, there is no activation fee of $36, however beyond that and before the first 30days, you will be charged activation fee. After 30days you will have to pay Early Termination Fee of $175 as well, and the rent which is going to be $70+tax.

So after a month you will be paying : iPhone+175+36+70!

i_max2k2 said:
If you cancel within the first 3 days, the total would be

and u get to keep the phone?

hmm... iphone here i come then!!

Rave said:
and u get to keep the phone?

hmm... iphone here i come then!!

Yep and thats only when u tell them that you lost the phone, otherwise they wont cancel the contract on the phone (I mean talking to them on the phone), they will ask you to return the phone and thats where all the formalities will be completed.

But they will run a credit check on you, so you have to be with someone who is ready for that (of course he must have a social security too).

i_max2k2 said:
Yep and thats only when u tell them that you lost the phone, otherwise they wont cancel the contract on the phone (I mean talking to them on the phone), they will ask you to return the phone and thats where all the formalities will be completed.

But they will run a credit check on you, so you have to be with someone who is ready for that (of course he must have a social security too).

ouch!

no thanks then :(

i_max2k2 said:
Well if you have a relative there, then it might workout, but again, I dont know if its worth the trouble! But isn't being launched in India real soon?

yeah albit at an insane price point

and its not definitely worth that much trouble, id rather pay the extra money, if i had it that is :lol:

Yep even though you can buy it here for cheap, but they do make you pay via the data plan which is @ $30 for the next 2 yrs, and I guess they make up the amount, though you do get internet on the go. I still can get wifi most of the time here, but I might just get the data plan, 3G is fast, almost as fast as wifi.

tricky one to pull off ...Apple will want the phone back as thats a part of the clause.

You can take your chances by claiming you lost the phone or something, but do remember they have your social and card # with them :p

As for disputing card charges, it is relatively easy to dispute and claim a chargeback when it is from some vague operating from a bunker store but not all that easy when the charge is from Apple

yeah... for like double the price...

There may be a few lucky blokes who may have been able to wriggle out of the contract with minimal damage, but that also involves some sneakytricks

As for the prices in India, would you rather buy the phone for

- say 18K with the flexibility to use it on a plan of your choice (say like mine with 10p local calls, 50p for other networks, 1/- for National, free SMS and 300 for unlimited edge)

OR

- say 10K with a 2 year lock in while paying an obscene rental rate - The base AT&T plan works out this way:

$70 + tax per month for:

450 mins of talktime (including incoming) and 45c per min for calls thereafter

5000 mins (thats pretty much unltd) for night time and weekend calls

Additional $20 for unltd SMS or $ 15 for 1500 SMS

superczar said:
tricky one to pull off ...Apple will want the phone back as thats a part of the clause.
You can take your chances by claiming you lost the phone or something, but do remember they have your social and card # with them :p

As for disputing card charges, it is relatively easy to dispute and claim a chargeback when it is from some vague operating from a bunker store but not all that easy when the charge is from Apple

There may be a few lucky blokes who may have been able to wriggle out of the contract with minimal damage, but that also involves some sneakytricks
As for the prices in India, would you rather buy the phone for

- say 18K with the flexibility to use it on a plan of your choice (say like mine with 10p local calls, 50p for other networks, 1/- for National, free SMS and 300 for unlimited edge)

OR

- say 10K with a 2 year lock in while paying an obscene rental rate - The base AT&T plan works out this way:
$70 + tax per month for:

450 mins of talktime (including incoming) and 45c per min for calls thereafter
5000 mins (thats pretty much unltd) for night time and weekend calls
Additional $20 for unltd SMS or $ 15 for 1500 SMS
Its not a part of the clause, and I'm already going for this. Again rental is pretty high but you gotta know ur paying for internet too.

The rental schemes are very different from India, these numbers dont tell u the complete story.

Att has the biggest subscriber base in US and calls among them are free, so any att mobile to att mobile call is free and is not considered in these minutes, also these minutes get rolled over every month. Most of my friends have att so right now I have over 1500mins in roll over. I usually never cross my quota of minutes. And I DO CALL a lot. You can get a started sms pack for $5 for 200msgs, I dont msg a lot neither do I have any msg pack, I usually get charged like $3-$4 which include's local and international sms.

Also many people would like to pay a smaller amount initially and then ur paying for the internet, which is not as bad as it sounds, 3G is fast and with some work u can tether it to ur laptop as well.

Its not a part of the clause, and I'm already going for this

good luck mate

The rental schemes are very different from India, these numbers dont tell u the complete story.

lol...just a reverse gameplay on the usual crib that peeps have over gadget pricing in India when the #s never tell you the whole story

Att has the biggest subscriber base in US

I thought it was T mobile but I may be wrong there

Congos on the purchases dude!!! :)
EDIT: Darn, i guess the Dell stays huh :mad:

And OMG that Rhoomba sounds awesome.. i'll just have to get one! :D

I've called you C'zar from the beginning (remember?). And the name really stuck (for me). Congrats man! You're really worth the title i.e. caesar, with all the nifty stuff, most of them a first. We'll drool in the meantime.

Back