Car & Bike Halogen headlights in Bike ??

raksrules

Elite
I own a Suzuki GS 150R and feel that the head light of the same is not upto par. It was always my personal observation. Yesterday my brother called me and he too said the same. Now below are my queries. Please take time and answer them.

1. Is this a known problem acknowledged by suzuki ? If yes then are they gonna replace the lamp ?
2. If not then what option do i have...do we get some better lamps? I have no clue about all this :S
3. Can we replace this but that white bulb / halogen / whatever it is called and if yes then how much will it cost ?
4. Do we need police permission to put that halogen white light ? My bro asked me this hence asking here.
5. Is there any remote possibility of both types of bulbs together in the bike ??? :ashamed:

raksrules said:
I own a Suzuki GS 150R and feel that the head light of the same is not upto par. It was always my personal observation. Yesterday my brother called me and he too said the same. Now below are my queries. Please take time and answer them.

1. Is this a known problem acknowledged by suzuki ? If yes then are they gonna replace the lamp ?

2. If not then what option do i have...do we get some better lamps? I have no clue about all this :S

3. Can we replace this but that white bulb / halogen / whatever it is called and if yes then how much will it cost ?

4. Do we need police permission to put that halogen white light ? My bro asked me this hence asking here.

5. Is there any remote possibility of both types of bulbs together in the bike ??? :ashamed:
1)Nope.this is not a known problem with Suzuki.And they will not repalce the lamp for this.However you should take the vehicle to the service station and complain.May be it could be production defect in this particular bike.

2)You can replace the Bulb with Halogen lamp.Will cost approx 300 Rs for the Relay switch etc. Or use HID

3) You can if you have the money go for HID,9High Intensity Discharge Bulbs Read Xeon ).You will need relay switch for this too.Price about 2K to 10 K. Philips ,osram, Lumex etc make these.There are also cheap counter chinese available but please refrain from them.Most are halogen painted Blue.

4) HID cannot be directly used and is illegal if used without covering or something that will prevent it to flash on the opposite traffic.But if you could cover then its a good idea.

5)Whats the point .One Halegon or Hid is enough.You will never use the oem one later.

Ok what is this HID thing ?? Can you give some links to let me see ??

Also what headlight does Pulsar 220 use ? I guess it is also white is colour.

You can get the Osram Night breaker for 800/-. Its much brighter than the stock ones. Another option is Halonix, though no idea about pricing.

raksrules said:

HID High Intensity Discharge lights using Xenon gas instead of filament.The lights are the best that you can get.

Here are the links

eBay India: Original Philips HID/Xenon KIT H4-6000K H.I.D (item 150440724032 end time 04-Jul-2010 23:30:52 IST)

Philips Lighting India - Xenon HID conversion kit

Motorcycle H.I.D Kit (Xenon) For sale! - Team-BHP

Pulsar 220 uses Halonix 35/35 W .

Please correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to use aftermarket HIDs in headlamps in India? If it comes as a part of the standard fitment in some cars (such as the Laura for instance) that's fine.

Desecrator said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to use aftermarket HIDs in headlamps in India? If it comes as a part of the standard fitment in some cars (such as the Laura for instance) that's fine.
Yes probably. That is the reason i asked whether police permission is required or not.

raksrules said:
Yes probably. That is the reason i asked whether police permission is required or not.

Can anybody confirm this ?

Its a problem here because ppl do not dip their lights when oncoming traffic approaches and it can be quite blinding with ordinary lights let alone brigter after market ones.

freshseasons1 said:
Pulsar 220 uses Halonix 35/35 W .
raksrules said:

Ahem.....Pulsar 220 has 55W twin PROJECTOR headlamps. And no it isnt white.

Is the GS150R full DC? If it is then you can go for higher wattage bulb without any mods. Else go for Philips Crystal Vision.

P.S.: All bikes from Japanese manufacturers have very weak headlight. My Yamaha Gladiator and the Unicorn both have very low level of illumination.:( I am getting coil rewinding done on my Gladiator in order to fit the Nightbreakers. Still need to work out a way to recharge the battery faster.

well i got a eliminator. its has a huge battery the headlight is just too good even after 5 years. I think its 60/55 w its almost as good as a maruti 800 headlight. the secret is DC and its higher amp. it came factory fitted.

my mechanic told me its not possible to add higher watt bulbs into the exisiting dome since the brighter headlight might heat up and burn the reflector.

I wonder if its possible to use another battery and recharge it automatically but my bike doesn't have any storage :(

raksrules said:
^^ Right. I have a Unicorn too and its headlight too is not impressive :(

Even I wanna change the headlamp of my P180 to something better the illumination is not so good for a highway on the stock bulb.

Search around and get a Halonix +60 35/35W halogen. <100rupees, easily the best available in India.

I use the same but 100/90W on my bike :p

So guys finally what is the legal replacement for the stock headlamps ?? I dont mind even the normal yellow light, just that it should be better than the stock ones in terms of light throw.

Get osram night breaker or Halonix if ur budget is limited ...

Or else you can go for HID (4300k) , Chinese ones comes for as low as 1.5k now a days , does the job and lasts long enough ...

Philips HID cost around 7k (for 2 bulbs & ballast) ... but for ur bike i gues u'll need Bi-Xenon ...

@ Raks

First of all, whiter the light, more useless it is.stick to the 4300K when going for HID
Most chinese ones are 6000K which is bright white.
Bright white h/l is an open invitation to Cops.
White light does not have good penetration. I mean even if a HH splendor with stock bulb comes from opposite direction, you wo'nt see ur h/l beam on road. ( I hope I conveyed my point)

GS150 IS KNOWN FOR BAD H/L FOCUS.

Where do you want the beam spread?? High beam, illuminating distant objects and the road signs 9 mostly useful on Highways, with dividers and lonely rural roads.
Low beam, city riding speeds (<=60 KMPH), 30-40 ft of road good for spotting potholes

In monsoon, wet roads, we feels that low beam is not enough, because, most of the light thrown by h/l is reflected, scattered away from our eyes.

If LOW beam is ur need
1.The cheapest soln is to focus ur h/l nearer, in front of the bike. You need to adjust a screw.
2. put a spot light/fog lamp on the crash guard and focus it exactly where you want it to be. You need a few tries to focus it exactly.
cost 300-500 /-. Don't use it much as it will drain ur battery in 30-40 mins (60W from fog light and 35W from H/L = 95W). If case A, read ahed is true for ur bike, then no worries.
I think this should be best for GS150 as h/l itself is not focused properly.
I had one in my P150, loved it, sometimes i just switched on the fog light and pilot lamps (for tail lamp to glow) .
A. does ur bike's headlight work with engine off?
if yes that means , ur h/l bulb is powered by Battery, not the coil.

In this case, you can go for 60/55 W bulb with a relay circuit.
100/90 would be too much, battery drain and dome heat.

A.a.
You can go for H.I.D. bulb too.
Philips has nice 4300K car HID kit, costing about 9K. it contains two ballasts, and two bulbs.
You and ur cousin can share it.

B. If not, then you need to rewind ur bike's coil so that it produces higher current and then install 60/55 W bulb. But it's a skilled job and not every mechanic, who claims he can, can not do it right.
Sorry for the lengthy post.

@ashish

Thanks a lot for the very informative post. My bike is yet to be serviced even for the first time, so this time when i get it done, i will first get it focussed. Will try other options after that. Spending 9k would be a non brainer for me, looking for something reasonably priced.

Thanks a again.

Back