Budget 10-15K Hard-working Android phone

1. Budget?
A: 10k (Can stretch by another 2K if I get something better.)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo and Panasonic
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen. 4" at least.
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a GOOD 5MP camera. I loved the camera on my Lumia 720 before my GF took it away from me. So anything half as good as that would do.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android only
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/Wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: GPS>Camera>SMS (In that order)
10. Any other requirements?
A: Single Sim. Dual sim will do too if the battery back-up is good.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: I've considered these phones: http://goo.gl/UIDZBb
I want a phone that can at least last a day with about 2 hours of GPS, 1 hour of music, 15 mins of whatsapp and 1 hour of calling - using 3G only. I think only Lenovo can manage to do that, but I might be wrong there. Also, my field work requires me to take a pic here and a pic there, only during daylight though; so the camera should be decent too. Do let me know if there's anything out there.

The Galaxy Core's camera is good but apart from that everything else is utter crap (I would say better wait for Ace 3 if Samsung is the preferred brand).
Huawei Y300 comes with 512 MB RAM (out of which only 350 MB is usable) is good for only 7K budget.
Panasonic are selling just rebranded chinese and alcatel phones with zero after sales service on mobiles so They arent different from Xolo/Micromax etc.

Lenovo P770 is the best amongst these 4.

Thanks @Doc Holliday Go easy on coffee ;)

Even I want to go for Lenovo p770, but shelling out additional 3-4 grand for P780 is too enticing. How about Samsung Galaxy Core? Lowest price online for it is 11.5K. How's the battery performance on that one?

@Brendon I played around with my colleague's Xperia M for a few minutes and I just didn't like the shape of it. So much of real estate has been wasted on that phone below the soft keys. It just doesn't look like a 4"er to me, even after using my HTC Explorer.

@babhishek I can't go beyond 12K. Rather I would really prefer something for about 8k because the life of a smart phone is too short nowadays. I was/am contemplating about getting Lumia520 as my only requirements are GPS>Daylight Camera>SMS&whatsapping

Last edited:
If you aren't too much into apps then the Lumia 520 is the way to go. Static maps, lag free performance, great screen and decent camera. Only real negative is the lack of apps but for a casual user it has plenty.

@sky P770 is under consideration if you look at the link I've provided in template.
@Brendon When I had Lumia720 (for 3 days only before it was taken away) I never had a chance to use the GPS. Is Here Maps good as compared to gMap? I know there's gMaps for windows phone too, but is the user experience as good as it's in Android or iPhone?
@babhishek A lot of people vouch for it on flipkart though :p
@Deathbearer Cool gamin' nick. I want to try a Lenovo P780 phone too. It just seems total VFM. But way out of my budget.

Here maps isn't as good as Gmaps BUT Here maps is offline maps and doesn't require data to work.

I have gotten lost on a trip to Rajasthan in a place with no network and the locals couldn't understand English or my broken Hindi. Offline maps came to the rescue and I was back on track.

Plus Here Maps includes maps from all across the globe. I went to HK and well I didn't wish to pay for data. However my sis used Here Maps and they worked perfectly.

Yes but do note that for Google you can also purchase Sygic maps for ZERO rupees and you get free India maps which is again not as good as Google Maps but its offline.

However thats only for India and abroad you will have to buy a data connection to use Google Maps. For the Lumia 520 the app can work without a local sim card.

That said you must also be aware that Windows has only a fraction of the games and apps available for Android and some free apps on Android are paid apps on Windows.

But if you aren't into much gaming or apps then the Lumia 520 is hard to beat at its price.

Back