Hassle free easiest way to stream FLAC files to GOOGLE CHROMECAST AUDIO

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Hi
Since last few months I have been exploring to enjoy my music afresh after the hobby got reignited..
Have posted a few threads on various forums here looking for suggestions and equipments and other stuff.

I was always aware about the quliaty that flac files provide for audio.. But owing to them being super big I never ever took interest, but now I am planning to use them as I was able to find a few of my choice recently and yes they do sound like a charm..

Was wondering if you guys could guide the easiest and hassel free way to play them via my chromecast audio...
I don't wish to keep my pc running to stream them from it via audio cast..
I have a couple of 1tb external hdds lying around, how best to utilize them for the purpose..
I have a tplink c80 router with a 100mbps connection.

Thanks in advance

for me VLC for Android has worked in the past, i have a LG phone with sd card slot and loaded all my files to that sd card, if you want to use your hdd you will need network storage setup using an old pc or something like a ftp server with raspberry pi or similar.

for me VLC for Android has worked in the past, i have a LG phone with sd card slot and loaded all my files to that sd card, if you want to use your hdd you will need network storage setup using an old pc or something like a ftp server with raspberry pi or similar.
I do have a lg v20 as well as a g5,
Have a pi but it's power ic is fried so it's useless..

May be I ll buy a used Low end pi and attach the external hdd with it and stream from it..
But looking for some more options and may be offers for used equipments

I run squeezebox server (Logitech Media Server) and squeezelite client running on an Odroid C1+ (almost equivalent to Rasbperry Pi 3B+). The LMS has plugins for online music services like Spotify, Tidal etc. It can play media from local drives or from a NAS as well. To use Chromecast Audio with LMS, there is a plugin called Chromecast Bridge. The Chromecast Bridge makes Chromecast Audio seen as a player by LMS. I have not tried this plugin myself though. If you can get a Pi 3B+ cheaply this might be worth a look

Can anyone of you great guys suggest me....
The step by step process of..
How I can use a raspberry pi plus an ext hdd to stream my flac files to chromecast audio in headless setup...

Still not able to get around how to do it, a friend was supposed to guide but he seems to be unreachable atm
. Thanks

. As i said earlier I am streaming flac files from my lg g8x thinq to Google chromecast and then to my fosi bt20a pro amp, the result is extremely nice and I am loving it.. The details are fantastic..

I don't stream .flac (Prefer HP / IEM for .flac) over Chromecast Audio but my mother streams her devotional songs every day in the evening which are .Mp3 and .AAC formats. I'm pretty sure this setup can stream FLAC easily.

So the setup is Tplink AXE75 Router + 1TB SATA SSD Crucial BX 500 connected to the USB port of the router (which contains also 4k movies gathered from Galaxy).

So the User (my mother) needs her Andriod Phone with VLC installed -> Navigate the 'Devotional Music' Folder (7.40 GB in Size) -> Select the desired Sub Folder -> Play or Play All.....after connecting/selecting the Chromecast Audio by tapping the cast icon.

No PC Running - Nothing....Nominal Power Consumption.

Last edited:
I don't stream .flac (Prefer HP / IEM for .flac) over Chromecast Audio but my mother streams her devotional songs every day in the evening which are .Mp3 and .AAC formats. I'm pretty sure this setup can stream FLAC easily.

So the setup is Tplink AXE75 Router + 1TB SATA SSD Crucial BX 500 connected to the USB port of the router (which contains also 4k movies gathered from Galaxy).

So the User (my mother) needs her Andriod Phone with VLC installed -> Navigate the 'Devotional Music' Folder (7.40 GB in Size) -> Select the desired Sub Folder -> Play or Play All.....after connecting/selecting the Chromecast Audio by tapping the cast icon.

No PC Running - Nothing....Nominal Power Consumption.
I dunno why I didn't think of that
But the thing is I seem to have bricked my C7 and the c80 that I bought doesn't have usb port..
I have another one lying around its 3220, it does have a usb port..(I am not sure if the USB port is working as last time I checked with tplink they said this usb port can't be used for drives)

Still I can try at least
Can I may be attach it to my c80 and connect USB drive with it and use it exclusively for streaming over network..

Last edited:
I dunno why I didn't think of that
But the thing is I seem to have bricked my C7 and the c80 that I bought doesn't have usb port..
I have another one lying around its 3220, it does have a usb port..(I am not sure if the USB port is working as last time I checked with tplink they said this usb port can't be used for drives)

Still I can try at least
Can I may be attach it to my c80 and connect USB drive with it and use it exclusively for streaming over network..

Routers with USB always don't support external HDD, many of them are just for Wireless Printer Support or Service ports...But if they do Manufacture will definitely advertise that in bold letters...

However, I was also not aware that I could stream movies/TV series offline to my current TV Boxes, Only after 5 months of router purchase I came to know and start using this feature...So that I don't need to run a Plex server with additional hardware/power consumption, Casting Music is completely by-product.

I strongly suggest if your current router is working properly, just for the sake of music casting don't invest in a new router - It will be a waste of money now, once it EOL invest in a good router hardware by that time.

Routers with USB always don't support external HDD, many of them are just for Wireless Printer Support or Service ports...But if they do Manufacture will definitely advertise that in bold letters...

However, I was also not aware that I could stream movies/TV series offline to my current TV Boxes, Only after 5 months of router purchase I came to know and start using this feature...So that I don't need to run a Plex server with additional hardware/power consumption, Casting Music is completely by-product.

I strongly suggest if your current router is working properly, just for the sake of music casting don't invest in a new router - It will be a waste of money now, once it EOL invest in a good router hardware by that time.
Hi
Thanks mate, for the push that you gave me the lazy dude..
Just to update you I was able to unbrick my C7 just now, so I am good to go.. Going to replace c80 with C7 and see how the music performs
Many many many thanks indeed
God bless
Will post again with results and if I am in need of more help
Take care

How many flac files? Can't you just get an SD card and load them up on your phone and cast it to chromecast?
I have been doing just that, but I am one of those who hates carrying such huge sized media files on my phone..
I have unbricked my C7 and through it's usb port I can use a 128gb flash drive to stream my flac files over home network...
Wish the router supported 1tb ext hard drives (I have two Toshiba ones but the router doesn't identify them)

You need to run some sort of NAS or Pi, means have to spend some money for ease of use. I stopped tinkering around with DIY hardware years ago.

Personally I'm running my plex server on a lenovo thinkcenter mini pc which I picked up on amazon, plex has a audiophile player called plexamp which allows you to listen to your collection or cast it, it plays\cast bit perfect and if you buy plex pass they will let you access tidal plus other features which are not available on free version, great little player. I find this to be most stable and responsive, less buffering etc when you're out.

IIRC netgear nighthawk router also supports plex server.

Any DLNA server running on any device should work.
Could you give some examples, I am kinna noobish in anything minutely advanced.. Please
Thanks

Also how much of a bitrate per second DLNA can support, flac fikes are pretty fat, if their streaming bit is compromised then there is no use...

Could you give some examples, I am kinna noobish in anything minutely advanced.. Please
Thanks

Also how much of a bitrate per second DLNA can support, flac fikes are pretty fat, if their streaming bit is compromised then there is no use...
DLNA is a network protocol not a file format.

Even a raspberry Pi can serve files as a dlna server. Some NAS devices have dlna built in.

DLNA is a network protocol not a file format.

Even a raspberry Pi can serve files as a dlna server. Some NAS devices have dlna built in.
Yes I am aware it's not a file format hence asked how much of a speed dlna protocol can afford so that the quality of flac streaming isnt hampered..
To share with you my observation....
My lg g8x supports dlna with native music app..
So if I ll attach a usb drive with my flac files to my tplink C7 and setup the network share then my music app on my phone can stream the flac content from the USB drive in my router..

Found this when I was trying various options this morning..

Yes I am aware it's not a file format hence asked how much of a speed dlna protocol can afford so that the quality of flac streaming isnt hampered..
To share with you my observation....
My lg g8x supports dlna with native music app..
So if I ll attach a usb drive with my flac files to my tplink C7 and setup the network share then my music app on my phone can stream the flac content from the USB drive in my router..

Found this when I was trying various options this morning..
Yep this sort of setup should work.

Back