Budget 0-20k Have LGA 1151 MB (8th/9th Gen Pentium supported). Sell it and go for AMD based PC?

Din

Disciple
Have an under warranty LGA 1151 motherboard. MSI B365M PRO-VH to be exact. Was searching for a 8th/9th gen Pentium processor (on a budget) but couldn't get any - used/new. Prefer i3/i5 and not the Gold series. Keep searching for new/used or sell it to someone looking for LGA 1151 socket MB and go for AMD processor + MB combo?

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Already have 2 X 8GB RAM (2666 MHz DDR4).

Thanks in advance friends.

Note: Selected the prefix (budget) as 0-20K for thread as the field was mandatory. That is not the budget for the processor.

You don't necessarily need to go for an AMD build. 12th gen Intel can actually give you a better experience than Ryzen 5600.

But for a better suggestions, you need to tell us what is your usage like. For light users, 12th gen Intel i3 can be a very good option because of its superior single threaded performance. For heavy users, i5 might still be a good bet. AMD might be a good fit if you want your system to be more energy efficient and/or better iGPU performance. 5600G can easily run most 3 year old games at 1080p and medium settings, i5 12400 cannot.

Thank you for the suggestion @gourav Much appreciated.

Yes, quite basic the needs are. Kid is using an Athlon based PC. Was using it primarily for online classes. As schools re-opened, it is used for gaming (again, light type, not hardcore) and watching movies, browsing etc. Thought of a minor upgrade (not sure whether it can be called an upgrade lol) and that is why I opted the LGA 1151. But I found it is not easy to get 8th/9th gen CPU, like under 8K. I also posted a thread under 'I want to buy' section and yesterday a user suggested why not going for a new i3 9350kF.

Guess I need a basic model graphics card and then the heatsink/fan for the processor. Sounds like a good idea overall.

Nothing against the solution you suggested, but may need to buy another mobo also as the one I have doesn't support 12th gen processor.

Go in for the i3 12100 series. I have it and I could not have been happier. Although the Gigabyte motherboard endedup being a lemon (the Wifi and BT module refused to work), it has no problems chugging quite smoothly on W11 (all bells and whistles), Zorin OS. Also, the performance gains are quite significant. Also, if you are specifcally looking for 8th or 9th gen CPUs I think OLX would be a better bet than the forums.

If you read my posts here you will know that I have several PCs (manage them for work) and have everything from 3rd gen units to Athlons to Intel 12th Gen. As much as I used to love AMD, I was not super impressed with the new chips and always felt that they were not great bang for the buck. There are times when I felt that my i3 8th gen hackintosh worked better than an AMD chip that came much later.

If you get tnbe i3-12100 you will not even need a graphics card.

(not sure whether it can be called an upgrade lol

And even if you are NOW going from a 3rd gen to a 6th gen, it is still an upgrade - no matter what one says! :grin:

If gaming is there, and you're not getting a separate GPU, then my recommendation would be Ryzen 5600G. But it's hard to find gaming benchmarks on iGPU. So you might try to look for them before making your decision, I haven't gone in-depth on this myself.

Thank you @soulweaver. Was checking whether I can keep the MB (buy only the processor) as it is under warranty. Sure, I will also check OLX. If nothing works, will go for the 12th Gen and new mobo.

@gourav - Sure, will keep it in mind. He play few games but nothing like resource hogging ones. At least, so far!

Thank you @soulweaver. Was checking whether I can keep the MB (buy only the processor) as it is under warranty. Sure, I will also check OLX. If nothing works, will go for the 12th Gen and new mobo.

@gourav - Sure, will keep it in mind. He play few games but nothing like resource hogging ones. At least, so far!

See if this helps.

It all depends on your use case scenario. If you need it for browsing, streaming content on internet and play some light games. Sure you could stick to this generation without having to spend much.
If you feel like you’ll need some heavy utility with the said config it’s then you need to rethink about this.

Back