Video HD CRT or LCD Rear Projection TVs

Yeah, i guess there are no models with full 1080 support in RPTV for around 1-1.5Lac. If you guys know any.. please post info. I was keen to get a 40" Sony [2Lac] or Samsung [50K cheaper] LCD-TV as it had Full-HD support.

The samsung FHD Mosel 40" should be around 1.35L...but here's the deal. At a distance of 8 feet... the human eye cannot differentiate between 720P and 1080P if the screen size is smaller than 50". So if you want 1080P, and choose the 40" LCD... you will have to sit really close to the TV.. something like 4-6 feet.. to be able to tell the difference... So if you are looking at a 40" display... go with 720P instead.

Guys, In case its not clear - I have bought the 50" 3LCD Bravia Sony RPTV.

After seeing 50" I dont think I am now ever going to like any smaller displays. There may be 1080P 40" LCDs around but I believe that 50" is the way to go if like me, you love cinema hall experience at home.

Please dont fall for 1080p trap. Any display is only as good as source. When do you think 1080p sources will be readily available in India? Not for at least next couple of years. By then 1080P LCDs might be 75K. That will be the right time to buy them. Dont ever think that 2-3 lac 1080p LCDs of today are future proof. Its very much possible that in coming couple of years, SED becomes the buzzword and LCD is seen as dying technology.

For now, any HD-Ready TV is sufficient for our needs. HDTV broadcasts are in 1080i I think. Whenever HDTV starts in India, 720p TV will be able to display it nicely. For current needs like normal DVDs or Divx, even 720p resolution is way over the top.

Well in case you missed, I have few Blu Ray coming in... and I have got a PS3 with few decent titles. Thats the only reason I am planning to get a Full-HD [1080] screen.

As for distance from screen to enjoy the content... well I will have to see wat I can do as plans of shifting has been there but nothing is finalized abt my building :p

Thanks for the insight tho....

[quote name='Funky']So what model did u buy exactly?
Bravia LCD RPTV or WEGA CRT RPTV.
I saw the BRavia at Vijay sales recently and honestly i was impressed.
The only downside is you get only 720P.
Thats the reason XVIDS and VCDs dont look utter crap on these projection TVs compared to Full HD LCD panels which have 1920x1080(1080p) resolution.

You compromise Full HD for pure cinema size display which if you are ok with is damn good bang for the buck.BRAVIA is far superior to other RPTVs i had seen for sure.

mine is the bravia lcd RPTV 50" i also have tata sky...i know BRAVIA is far better than RPTV but trust me i was not impressed by my cousin's 32" bravia lcd or may be its because of dishtv

rshri said:
Please dont fall for 1080p trap. Any display is only as good as source. When do you think 1080p sources will be readily available in India?

Right Now... if you know where to download it from :bleh: :bleh:

wolfff said:
The samsung FHD Mosel 40" should be around 1.35L...but here's the deal. At a distance of 8 feet... the human eye cannot differentiate between 720P and 1080P if the screen size is smaller than 50". So if you want 1080P, and choose the 40" LCD... you will have to sit really close to the TV.. something like 4-6 feet.. to be able to tell the difference... So if you are looking at a 40" display... go with 720P instead.

True but isn't FHD Mosel(1080p) series of lcds better than the bravia (720p) series in other aspects like contrast ratio and color reproduction??:huh:

okay.... So any idea how are the samsung FHD Mosel series compared to the sony bravia X series?? I checked out the bravia 46 inch x series (1080p) model and it was awesome:D:D How is the samsung model compared to this one?? And does it justify a price diff. of over 50k??

Now I haven't really researched these models... but Samsung and Sony LCD Panels are made at the same plant, because its a joint manufacturing venture. So the quality difference between Identically sized and same resolution panels.... should not be too much both ways.

^ If what wolfff says is true, then its just a Sony price (overpriced as usual).

But of course, you should still do a live 1:1, but 50k is a LOT of money ! :)

Anish said:
^ If what wolfff says is true, then its just a Sony price (overpriced as usual).

What wolfff says is always true :mad: :mad:

j/k... here u go
Sony, Samsung complete LCD plant | CNET News.com
And here's one for the newer 8G plant
Samsung, Sony Announce 8G TFT-LCD Panel-manufacturing Project

But even though the panel will be the same... sammy and sony use their own image processors etc... so there will be some diff. in PQ. As always.... compare them both.... preferably with a DVD of your choice and see what you like more...

Back