Video HD Media Player cum NAS + Downloads

keep them coming :)

heating shouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't deter performance.

i shall add extra fans at air inlets and outlets of media player..i really don't care for how it looks.

currently htpc budget is going a lot above what im willing to spend.

My primary requirement was a media player and then Screenplay HD director has made me consider NAS + BT

If it works fine then i'm fine with it.

I will think about these options for a while

options are: ACRyan PlayON HD, Iomega ScreenPlay HD Director, Xtreamer Sidewinder

Gannu said:
@Praks: My friend, your search for the perfect media player would possibly never end. Besides, the heating issue was never a concern. Heatsinks are meant to get heated up which indicates that the fins are dissipating the heat absorbed from the heat spreader of the chip. Try touching the passive heatsinks of the power ICs/amps inside a power-amp or an AVR or the ice-pack of a Velociraptor during operation and you'd know the magnitude of heat we are referring to here. This is exactly how it is meant to operate with the natural draught of air within the room.

If the heating issues were affecting the playback causing frequent shutdowns or restarts, I'd understand. The only drawback I can think of is when a 2.5" hard drive is within the casing - this may result in the overheating of the drive.
I agree with you my friend, but I am worried when 1 TB internal HDD is sitting inside that burning furnace :)

Some Additional Info that might help AC Ryan (Latest Prices)

Device Name Price (Rs)

AC Ryan Playon! HD Essential 5100

AC Ryan Playon HD Mini Network Mediaplayer ( With Out Wifi Dongle ) 6500

AC Ryan Playon HD Mini Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) 7950

AC Ryan Playon! HD FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Out Wifi Dongle ) 8000

AC Ryan Playon! HD FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) 9000

AC Ryan Playon HD DVR Dual Digital Media Player ( With Out Wifi Dongle ) 12,200.00

AC Ryan Playon HD DVR Dual Digital Media Player ( With Wifi Dongle ) 13,500.00

AC Ryan USB Wireless N dongle 1300

Mumbai Branch Details

AqTronics Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

No.230, Hindustan Kohinoor Industrial Complex,

L.B.S Marg, Vikhroli (W), Mumbai - 400083.

Tel. : 022 - 2579 0335 / 40159148

And also..

ACRyan HD2 with the updated Chip is coming. some stuff with bitstreaming and all are supported.

And another interesting product is that DLink Boxee. It might be cheap-ish. Love the looks of that player.

And WD is bringing a new WD Live hub something.

@mad.

If u can wait for 2 or 3 months. yea long time. Else get the best one out there(In india), and that is AC Ryan. Nothing else. Trust me on that.

Or else if u want cheap ones atleast pick one with a 25% price difference. To actually justify that. And there is none there. If HiMedia is still supplied

by Mediahome then that. but u need to get that custom f/w. Or else get the WDTV Live.

@OP

If u are still looking for Iomega Screen Play Director 1TB Media Player

Here is awesome deal for 7,499 Rs - cromagifts.com/products/iomega-1tb-plus-hd-media-plyr

Cheapest I found till date.

I have personally used an exact clone of AC Ryan (Eaget M880) which is not just clone in terms of looks but even has the hardware same as AC Ryan. Just that the same product is being made by another company.
Also i can vouch for the authenticity of the same because, whenever AC Ryan came with a firmware update, the chinese company copied the firmware, customized for M880 and distributed to users. In fact initial firmware releases of AC ryan were compatible with Eaget M880 but later they introduced some sort of checks to avoid AC ryan FW being used on Eaget.

Below my views but as per Eaget's firmware on my Eaget M880and things may be bit different for AC Ryan

I have used my media player to play upto 1080p videos and for reason i find even 1 CD Rips of very good quality on my 46" Sony TV. Not sure if the media player or TV is at work here.

I have also tried torrent downloading and it works fine. Just that you cannot see the progress continuously. As in say currently progress is at 5% and if you be at the same screen it would never increase, but just go back and come again to the downloading screen and it must have increased.

The max download speed limit in my player is available till 1000kBps (capital B).

For online streaming, it is only possible through youtube and youku (chinese streaming website) and in current firmware youtube streaming seems bit broken.

Can attach a external DVD RW to the player through USB but never tried.

The remote for me is entirely chinese and i have a printout of the english remote to correlate the buttons but now have got a hang of most of them :p

Not sure why AC Ryan is still retailing for so high price because i bought my eaget in October 2009 for Rs. 6000 (inc wifi adapter) and even got a 1TB HDD for 4200 (in 2009) totalling cost to 10200 rupees.
I had also opened a show off thread of the same...check here

http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/1080p-bring-it-on-150126.html

PS: Ignore remote pic, i had got my remote exchanged later

I think i'm gonna have to wait with many options on the horizon.

@Praks

Thanks for link, looks like one more case of confused sales staff at croma. :p

@tommy_vercett

Thanks for price update, will help me decide faster and better.

@m_jeri

yup, i'm gonna have to wait then, would lke to see if pricing and features get revised with playON HD2

@raksrules

makes me think whether we have duplicate AC Ryans available in out market. :S

thanks for sharing and 6k is a kickass price considering your time of purchase.

madnav said:
I

@raksrules

makes me think whether we have duplicate AC Ryans available in out market. :S

thanks for sharing and 6k is a kickass price considering your time of purchase.

Dont worry. There are no duplicate AC Ryans and i had got my media player from China and not from India. Also i feel there must be some OEM company making the media player and distributing to these eaget and AC Ryan and they then sell for their own price.

raksrules said:
Dont worry. There are no duplicate AC Ryans and i had got my media player from China and not from India. Also i feel there must be some OEM company making the media player and distributing to these eaget and AC Ryan and they then sell for their own price.
just like people see my zte blade and call it chinese duplicate of dell xcd35 :|

@Madnav..

Think the egreat(dunno if the same name) one i used is the same as raks posted. Friend got that from ebay.

And also.. firmware wise, even Himedia is a ACRyan clone. :S. The first UI. not the upcoming UI. ALthough the

replica ones are always less UI friendly.

And also my earlier statement of 10k for a media player is too much. :S.

[quote name='madnav']I think i'm gonna have to wait with many options on the horizon.

@Praks
Thanks for link, looks like one more case of confused sales staff at croma. :p

I didnt get u, 7500 is real cheap price for HD player with 1 TB HD :), I tried shipping option & price is same. Who cares when we pay, They have to deliver for that price right

Praks said:
I didnt get u, 7500 is real cheap price for HD player with 1 TB HD :), I tried shipping option & price is same. Who cares when we pay, They have to deliver for that price right
croma and reliance digital staff is known to have incorrect pricing.

i remember polk audio speakers being really cheap at croma.

i once purchased Microsoft Lifecam HD 720p at reliance for 1200 while it was ~$80+ on microsoft site and other places.

@Topic.

I'm getting a deal of 4k for Iomega® ScreenPlay® TV Link Director

Connectivity difference is absence of Composite Y Pb Pr, which i really dont need.

sounds like a good deal..shall i jump on it?

what i lose is Networking support (BT+NAS) :(

would that be easy to manage via asus wl520gu ?

Sorry for Diverted topic...

Any recommended remote for xbmc....?

Should be durable & Easy to use, Moreover with indian warranty (If possible)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gannu said:
^4k is a steal indeed.

PS: Second hand? :p
No it should be 1st hand..

I long ago got the pricing for same product as 5k..

Gannu said:
^4k is a steal indeed.

PS: Second hand? :p
It is brand new.

I'm trying to weigh difference and benefit.

and now that i'm thinking about it..

for 8k,

i'm also considering setting up HD Media Player + Router with NAS capability.

I dont mind modding router as long as I dont have to populate only/all usb ports with devices containing mods/application/clients etc. (In short, i not to be able to swap storage drives without having to image burn swap/cache etc partitions on all drives.)

Max budget is 9-9.5k but but im securing 1-1.5k for an hdd dock incase if I opt for one.

Budget is excluding what the existing router fetches.

Gannu said:
@tmkn: check out the Lenovo N5901.

Ganu also suggest me that, Lenovo N5901 is good and handy. But the main problem is its don't have back light. So on the dark you have to guess your keys. I found a good one here. its looking awesome on dark. [Link] Its bit expensive than N5901 but worth it.

or you can use this combination with Logitech harmony.

Back