Storage Solutions HDD Prices

Can anyone let me know what was the pre flood pricing for a 2TB external HDD like a Seagate? Am seeing them for 7.5-8K on ebay. Anywhere lower? Can I realistically expect it to fall, and how much in the next couple of months?

Would you buy from ebay?

Edit: Is Naaptol a reliable site?

They were ~5.5k If I am correct. Do not buy from Naaptol. Very bad service quality.

You can get it from Flipkart, Letsbuy or even eBay. With the last two you can use discount coupons as well to bring down the prices...

I think Yebhi also has external HDD's & comes with offer coupons regularly..

2TB WD external was 4.8k to 5k, Seagate price was a lil higher than WD because of their interchangeable connector design.

The question remains that whether the quality of the HDD's remain the same as it was b4...Also they have reduced Warranty too.

My guess is that you tour the local shops and get Old stock HDD's at a bit higher price and verify that it carries atleast 2 yr warranty.

Also for External HDD's an added bonus is USB 3.0 so if u can get it then it will be good.

If you are tight in ur budget ....forget all the above and get the Ext HDD with adapter after March. The prices will be low by atleast 2k....my guess.

In the last 3-4 months I have observed the prices of 1TB external hard drives (I was watching 1 TB particularly) going up from Rs 3000 to almost Rs 5000. The same time is responsible for the rise in the value of USD compared to INR. So I believe, until and unless the rates go back to 45's per dollar, do not expect any reduction in prices. doubtfire is probably right when he suggests to wait for sometime.

xoyoz said:
In the last 3-4 months I have observed the prices of 1TB external hard drives (I was watching 1 TB particularly) going up from Rs 3000 to almost Rs 5000. The same time is responsible for the rise in the value of USD compared to INR. So I believe, until and unless the rates go back to 45's per dollar, do not expect any reduction in prices. doubtfire is probably right when he suggests to wait for sometime.

The main reason for increase in HDD prices is not the dollar rate, but due to the floods in Thailand which had stopped the production of HDDs for quite a while.

Even if the dollar rates go back to what they were, HDD prices would still remain high.

Also don't forget that with current stock you would get additional warranty while with fresher stocks the warranty would be heavily reduced... :(

HailStonE said:
Also don't forget that with current stock you would get additional warranty while with fresher stocks the warranty would be heavily reduced... :(

Well Seagate has already reduced it to 2 year warranty a few months ago. WD will implement it from this month I suppose.

viralbug said:
Well Seagate has already reduced it to 2 year warranty a few months ago. WD will implement it from this month I suppose.

Seagate would further reduce it to 1 year only from Jan 2012

Good to know...reading through the web i thought it wud take 3 months minimum for the price to atleast come close to the pre flood prices..

Guyz ,

Dont wait for HDD prices to go down..

Seagate and other brands will now give 1yr warranty ...

And as far as the news goes the prices of HDD will go down around 2013......

Most of the HDD are out of stock on Flipkart and Letsbuy. My 500gb WD needs RMA and seems like it would end up being a costly affair
<

Back