HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Thanks terence_fdes...well I am from Delhi. If I go for 3D, then I will go in for passive 3D only (LG). In 2D I wold pref. Samsung. ( I have herd from most people that in TV Samsung is better than LG)

I also currently have Samsung 29" flatron TV from last 7 years. I would also like to use my new TV for atlest these many years.

Now since your work also includes 3D, will you advise me to go in for 3D TV now. How good is 2D to 3D conversion in LG? (You have rightly pointed out that glass free 3D TVs are still some years away. )

I am planning to buy a TV this Diwali. Please give me your suggestions.

1. Budget: Max 45k (lesser the better)

2. Viewing distance: 5 to 9 ft

3. Sources/inputs: Primarily SD DTH (HD DTH when available and affordable), stand-alone HD media player (occasional), laptop HDMI (occasional)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV: LED-LCD or LCD (LED preferred unless too costly)

5. Preference for brands: Samsung/Sony (if lottery still an issue, Sony preferred). Also willing to consider Panasonic if it's good.

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market: No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room: Windows, well lit (tubelight)

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc: Skype, play files from USB & HDD, ease of use

Primary users will be parents, who will mostly watch only Malayalam channels.

My mom likes Skype a lot. So, if its worth having it on TV, I am willing to pay extra. None of the other "SmartTV" features matter. Anybody here use Skype on TV?

I also plan to connect an HDD with movies so that my parents can watch themselves. But this shouldn't be the deciding factor.

mohit1981 said:
Thanks terence_fdes...well I am from Delhi. If I go for 3D, then I will go in for passive 3D only (LG). In 2D I wold pref. Samsung. ( I have herd from most people that in TV Samsung is better than LG)

I also currently have Samsung 29" flatron TV from last 7 years. I would also like to use my new TV for atlest these many years.

Now since your work also includes 3D, will you advise me to go in for 3D TV now. How good is 2D to 3D conversion in LG? (You have rightly pointed out that glass free 3D TVs are still some years away. )

Yes it is true that Samsung LED TV's are the Best [even better than Sony Bravia]. However the "price factor" is way too high. I can assure you that LG LED's are "VFM" [Value For Money]. Being a professional in this field, I settled for an LG 47" LED and using it for the past 10 months have never regretted. When I watch Full HD movies on it [either from my Sherwood Blu-ray Player or WD TV Live Hub] it's simply AWESOME .... A true theater experience at home. And yes your LG LED [or any other LED] will last you for 10-14 years!!!

Regarding a 3D TV choice AVOID IT - The 2D > 3D conversion is still very synthetic and primitive in all TV's that exist today. Real 3D content is still very limitted [3D broadcast in India is still 5-10 years away; We still have to start All channel's in Full HD!!].

mohit1981 said:

Dude, even I have a 29" Samsung that is now 8~9 yrs old and running. But all i can say, is that dont expect the LCD to run for so long, as the panel has a limited number of hours. ;)

As far as 3D is concerned, terence is right. 3D TV broadcast is not yet there in India, and dont forget, 3D content will be at a premium too. Unless you want the 3D chappa on your tv, skip it.

guys how are Philips series 6 LED tvs ?

googled it for reviews but could not find any ...... There are some really nice deals this diwali on philips LED tvs check mumbai mirror.

if the Picture quality is as good as a samsung or a sony then the deals seem to be really nice also they have warranty of 3 years.

1. Budget. 35K max

2. Viewing distance. 5 to 10ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. HD DTH and USB

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. = LCD/ LCD-LED (if extra cash worth price for it's pic. quality and repairs (if any) )

5. Preference for brands. LG, samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Tube light , windows

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
Video format support, FUll HD

@warewolf
samsung 32D580 fits your bill.

@blackheart
Philips A.S&S is a big ? For their 2011 tvs they are using LG panels especially if the tv size is 42" or 47" so it means ,you will have poor contrast compared to rivals from sony / samsung and plasmas.

@unni
Your viewing distance is wide so if its close to 5 feet you need to get a 32" and if its close to 9 feet get a 40".
For your budget the 32D5900 sounds nice.

Thanks adder.
Anybody used Skype on TV? How much does the Samsung camera cost? Will it be available in India?

1. Budget. 45-50k.

2. Viewing distance. 8 to 12ft .

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH, USB,cable.

4. Preference for led-lcd due low power consumption.

5. Preference for brands. samsung,panasonic,toshiba(3 yrs warranty)

8. Multiple Video format support required.

hi i want to buy a HDTV,

-budget ..30k

-screen size .. 32" or whichever available in my budget(want best PQ)

-viewing distance ..4-6ft

-viewing angle ..must be 180°(I've no idea if "viewing angle thing " exist on HDTVs or not)

-sources ..DTH, USB

-preference for LCD/LED/PLASMA ..LED

-preference for brand ..sony,samsung,Lg,Panasonic (must have good after sale service)

-willing to purchase it from grey market ..no

-Ambient lighting conditions of the room ..tubeligh, no windows

-Any other feature you are looking for ..hdmi input, good build quality, energy star rated, multiple video format support

please reply as soon as possible:)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

new requirement-- screen size must be 32", even if I've go for non led LCD.

seems prices have been slashed across all brands last time i checked before dussehra.

any estimates as to by what amounts have the prices been slashed? would be better to fix a deal then.

Hi, need quick recommendations on new HDTV.
1. Budget- 45K Max

2. Viewing distance- 8 feet max 42 inch screen, 32 inch seems small to me. 38/40 if available

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.- HD DTH/XBOX(or PS3)/ media player if I am unable to play some formats through USB port

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LED TV, LCD if LED is beyond budget

5. Preference for brands- Sony, Panasonic, any other brand if worth the money. Panel lottery to be avoided

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Nopes, need Bill and Warranty, and EMI's

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.- Natural light from right window and Artificial light from Left.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- No 3D, any other advance features will be most welcome.. However must have USB port and should support common formats such as DivX, Xvid and containers such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV out of the box(if possible). HT will added in future

My concern is PQ

Kindly help me asap as I need to finalize by Saturday or max sunday. Need to use Diwali Offers as give as agift to family this Diwali.

Need some help. Is Samsung 32" LED 32D5000 for 35k a good deal? Samsung 32" LED 32D5900 for 37k?

Anyone here using any of above mentioned TVs. I'm unable to find reviews for them :(

zapout said:
what is panel lottery guys?

Please see the first post (here). :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mixke said:
Need some help. Is Samsung 32" LED 32D5000 for 35k a good deal? Samsung 32" LED 32D5900 for 37k?

Anyone here using any of above mentioned TVs. I'm unable to find reviews for them :(

I was also considering Samsung 32D5900. Two days back, I tried to call their CC. They put me on hold for more than 5 mins, and I hung up. I called Sony CC and they answered very quickly. So, I am having second thoughts on Samsung (and not to mention the panel lottery concern).

Budget. 65-70k. Want 42" Non 3d LED TV
2. Viewing distance. 8 to 12ft .
3. Sources/inputs such as Lot of SD, Some HD DTH, USB,cable.
4. Preference for led-lcd due low power consumption.
5. Preference for brands. None

8. Multiple Video format support required.

mixke said:

I am using the 27D5000, Its great, if u need to know anything else let me know.

@zapout
Get the samsung D580

@scudmissile007 and setuniket
Get the samsung 40D550 but it most certainly comes with a SMVA panel made by chimie optronics,if you opt for the grey market route you could get a samsung 40" D5000 or D5500 it comes with a AMVA panel.
If you want a SPVA panel you can get the Sony 40cx520 for about 38k

@Darthcoder
samsung D6xxx series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back