HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

1. Budget - 40k to 50K max.

2. Viewing distance - 8 to 12ft.

3. Sources/inputs - HD DTH, Existing DVD player, ripped HD movies via USB/hard-drive.

4. Preference - LCD TV (40"). FULL HD (1080p) (Great if I can get LED >32" with comparable price/quality)

5. Preference for brands - Samsung, Panasonic, Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market - NO.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - TV faces South. Window on east wall. Room lighting - Sunlight (East), and Fluorescent (opposite the TV - South Wall).

8. Location - Gurgaon

Specific Questions:
9. I need good warranty (~3 years), which only Panasonic offers. How different would the PQ of Pana be from Samsung/Sony?
10. Would Pana LCDs play all formats (or which all would it not play?)?
11. Would Pana accept external USB Hard disk? If yes, up to what capacity of Hard disk would it read?

Price research:
Samsung showroom in Vasant Kunj, Delhi gave price of Rs.46,000 for 40" D550 LCD

Am really confused between - Going for good warranty OR Going for good product

Update:
I visited Croma in Delhi. They have a scheme going on : Buy Panasonic D-series 42" LED TV TH-L42D25 for 61k, and get Toshiba 26" LCD TV free (worth Rs. 16k).
The offer seemed good. However, the sales person gave me the following info on asking:
- Only 1 year warranty on this Panasonic model. (He showed me the warranty card). Apparantly only certain models in Panasonic have 3 years warranty.
- This model would not play via USB Hard drive.

Any suggestions/ comments on this update?

If you are going for 40 inches or above I would suggest you to go for a plasma.Plasma may sound a bit old but you usually cant get deeper blacks,great contrast,low response time and wider viewing angle than a plasma...Plasma has its own problems (weight,power consumption) but it becomes good value for money if you go for a larger size (usually 40 and above)...Also if you watch sports regularly along with watching movies and playing games Plasma will work like a charm.....And Panasonic has recently released some plasmas along with one being the 3d version..U can also go for samsung but for plasmas panasonic rules the roost......

adder said:
I think its a good deal,you are more likely to get a SPVA panel in 32D580.

Lg and panasonic lcd will have low contrast levels,their image processing again is bit inferior to the ones in the samsung or sony.
Sharp has neither that impressive contrast nor a good image processing and its service is a ? Even panasonic service ain't good.

D5500 AMVA panel ain't bad.A standalone media player is still better then the inbuilt ones in tv.
incase i decide to go for a sony EX520 through grey channels what are the things i need to be aware before getting the purchase done.
I meant i specific terms any testing to be done in the showroom before approving to buy that model.
Like checking for dead pixel . How to do that?
Any thing else and the tools i need to carry along for that would be helpful. :)

^They will open up the unit from the box and test it in front of you. You can verify if it has dead/stuck pixels then and there (and not crib about it after reaching home and finding one! :p). Take a USB drive filled with stuff to test it, just in case.

It doesn't however come with a wall mount and you will have to purchase one from elsewhere.

0. Size : 60" n above..

1. Budget - 1 - 2 L

2. Viewing distance ... <10 feet

3. Everything, through onkyo amplifier HTs5400 (m thinking to purchase that)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV....any prefer led, but i dont think size available.

5. Preference for brands..samsung sony lg panasonic

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? .. not when m purchasing so expensive.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.... normal dining room lights

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. ... I think I'll get all those stuff when Im spending that much

Gannu said:
^They will open up the unit from the box and test it in front of you. You can verify if it has dead/stuck pixels then and there (and not crib about it after reaching home and finding one! :p). Take a USB drive filled with stuff to test it, just in case.

It doesn't however come with a wall mount and you will have to purchase one from elsewhere.

ok so my parents are not approving of a grey market item.

so looking to buy now a 40D550 or a UA- 40D5500 (samsung if you know what i meant).

shopkeepers a reready to better my offer. ( i quoted price for a 40 D550 for 43.5k, he agreed :) for the UA-40D5500 i quoted 56k, he still agreed :))

the only thing he said that he does not have the samsung i mentioned on display/ godown. he can manage it if i tell him the prospective dates.

so what should i tell him to ensure to get a SPVA panel (apart from the SQ as version in below the serial number).

he said he can try and will get it by the first week of oct.

can i ask further discount :p

what is the best price one have got?

Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

1. Budget.

Approximately Rs. 30,000

2. Viewing distance.

Approximately 15 feet.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Cable set-top box with composite output, PS3 through HDMI

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LCD, preferably with LED backlight and IPS panel.

5. Preference for brands.

LG > Samsung > Sony > Other brands

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No. Has to be Croma since we are getting a special discount from them.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Dimly lit most of the time.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

Must have USB port and should support common formats such as DivX, Xvid and containers such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV out of the box. Speakers should be loud. Simple remote design would be preferable as the TV would mostly be used by non-techie people.

1. Budget.= 15-20k

2. Viewing distance.=8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.= cable STB & PS3

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV = LCD or PLASMA

5. Preference for brands.= SAMSUNG LG SONY or PANASONIC

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?= NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.= not an issue .

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.NO .

krazyfrog said:
1. Budget.

Approximately Rs. 30,000

2. Viewing distance.

Approximately 15 feet.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Cable set-top box with composite output, PS3 through HDMI

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LCD, preferably with LED backlight and IPS panel.

5. Preference for brands.

LG > Samsung > Sony > Other brands

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No. Has to be Croma since we are getting a special discount from them.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Dimly lit most of the time.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

Must have USB port and should support common formats such as DivX, Xvid and containers such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV out of the box. Speakers should be loud. Simple remote design would be preferable as the TV would mostly be used by non-techie people.

I was in the same confusion a week back, After a lot of research had to decide on one of them:

1. Samsung UA27D5000 27" inch: An elegant blend of practicality and performance - UA27D5000NR - LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG 29k

2. The simple way to live in Full HD. - LA32D580K4R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG 32k

3. Enhance and optimise the potential of your digital devices - LA32D550K1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG 30k

I went for the 27" LED TV as comparing the TVs I felt the LED TV definitely had better PQ and looked better as well. The sound on the 580K4R was better though.

If u want 32" go for 580K4R.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hector19 said:
1. Budget.= 15-20k

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.= cable STB & PS3

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.NO .

If 32" is the preference go with Toshiba.

pranut said:
I was in the same confusion a week back, After a lot of research had to decide on one of them:

1. Samsung UA27D5000 27" inch: An elegant blend of practicality and performance - UA27D5000NR - LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG 29k

2. The simple way to live in Full HD. - LA32D580K4R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG 32k

3. Enhance and optimise the potential of your digital devices - LA32D550K1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG 30k

I went for the 27" LED TV as comparing the TVs I felt the LED TV definitely had better PQ and looked better as well. The sound on the 580K4R was better though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm bit wary of Samsung after reading about the panel lottery system on the first page of this thread. Which is why I'm more inclined towards LG. Also, LG has cheaper models with similar specs and the performance is apparently on par with that of the Samsung.

The performance is not on par for samsung and LG.
try playing some HD Stuff on both the tvs.
Though i am not sure If it was the playback from the tv or a better media player would give a better output but on first look the samsung ones outperformed even to the comparison to a similar spec higher priced sony HDTV.

krazyfrog said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm bit wary of Samsung after reading about the panel lottery system on the first page of this thread. Which is why I'm more inclined towards LG. Also, LG has cheaper models with similar specs and the performance is apparently on par with that of the Samsung.

From what i saw at various showrooms and through my own personal media drive, Samsung clearly outperforms LG.

Though I think Samsung = Sony in PQ if not better.

Also dont worry abt Panel lottery, its not a big issue for gods sake, u might never notice the difference, who knows whether LG and Sony do the same....

I have seen many people change there decision due to this, and later they regret for obvious reasons.

pranut said:

If 32" is the preference go with Toshiba.

sorry forgot to mention it.

Size : 22"inch for bedroom :)

pranut said:

The CMR 100hz is misleading,it doesn't make any difference other the reducing the brightness ,hdtvtest also had a similar opinion when they tested the series 5 40" LED-lcd,they said it only made things worse.

Only the series 6 makes a difference is motion.

hector19 said:
1. Budget.= 15-20k

If you consider the grey market you can get a 32" sony within your budget.

pranut said:
From what i saw at various showrooms and through my own personal media drive, Samsung clearly outperforms LG.

Though I think Samsung = Sony in PQ if not better.

Also dont worry abt Panel lottery, its not a big issue for gods sake, u might never notice the difference, who knows whether LG and Sony do the same....

I have seen many people change there decision due to this, and later they regret for obvious reasons.

Okay. Also, do Samsung TVs support NTFS formatted drives through USB?

krazyfrog said:
Okay. Also, do Samsung TVs support NTFS formatted drives through USB?

Hmm I am not sure about that, I didnt try to connect one till now :p

Will check and let u know..

adder said:
The CMR 100hz is misleading,it doesn't make any difference other the reducing the brightness ,hdtvtest also had a similar opinion when they tested the series 5 40" LED-lcd,they said it only made things worse.

Only the series 6 makes a difference is motion.

If you consider the grey market you can get a 32" sony within your budget.

Really ? :O

I thought it did make a difference.

asingh said:
^^

How much that costs..?

From what I saw at Croma both are under 20k

Need 46"

1. Budget. - 70-80K

2. Viewing distance. There is a sofa, which is about say 60 degrees from the Tv and about 6-7 feet away. and, the bed, directly opposite to the tv 90 degrees about 10-14 feet away.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.: USB must, would really like if it can play mkv/avi with subs, but PQ is most important. HDMI also needed.

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - Dunno what to get, recommend me something

5. Preference for brands - Sony but can opt for others too

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - Would purchase it abroad, from bangkok.

7. My room (has two doors with glass panels to the veranda, DIRECT sunlight in day time, pretty bright)

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. : Yes, Wifi, DLNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back