HDTV for 42-46 inches for my parents EDIT: Bought Panasonic Viera TH-L47ET5D

sekharsomu

Disciple
1. Budget.
60-70k +5k ok if thats really worth it

2. Viewing distance.
10-15 feet
3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
DTH/PC
(playing wide varitey of formats such as mkv,mp4 )
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
Plasma's/LED
5. Preference for brands.
Samsung/sony/panasonic/lg (PQ/long-levity are priority not the brand)
6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
no-will purchase from a authorized dealer in Visakhapatnam-AP(suggesting any showroom would be appreciable) or any online store like flipkart or infibeam is also fine
7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
have windows opposite to tv stand, but can control through screens
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

wifi and 3d would be really great (i am confused between size and 3d features help me chose which is more important )

Looking to buy in next two days ..

Currently have eye on this two models but not sure sony KDL-42W800A(for 3d) and sony KDL-46W700A (for that Xtra 4 Inches)...some friends suggest that lg is better 3d totally puzzled please help me make a right choice

Last edited:
LCD/LED is better for you as there are windows opp. the TV stand.

3D: no deal breaker, content is not available. Ends up a gimmick, no one most of the owners don't use.

Showrooms near Diamond Park - innovations etc are good. Don't go for the one (big one, I don't remember the name) near APollo/7-Hills Hospitals on the Apsara road. It was difficult to believe his pricing ~7-8k higher compared with Diamond Park rates. FK doesn't deliver in Vizag.

For TV it is essential that you/your parents see it yourselves. Take a couple of mp4/mkv files. Ask the shop guy to keep the picture mode in "standard" and compare all of the models. LG is generally known to give better after-sales service compared with Sony. They also allow you to buy extended warranty for 5 years. Sony allows you ~3 years. You may check the latest numbers at their websites

With your viewing distance stick with the 46" size or bigger.
The 46W700 is good ,also consider the samsung series 6 range.

After a few weeks of research, i am considering one of these two models.. do have a check on these..

Panasonic Viera TH-L47ET5D
LG 47LM6200 (surprisingly, newer model 47LA6200 is cheaper in amazon.com but not yet in India.)

Sorry for the delayed response ...

I Finally after a lot of thought bought Panasonic Viera TH-L47ET5D(47'' inch IPS LED 3D TV with 4 Glass) on 12th Sep

@Rs.76,000

Though the 2D HD content seems to take a second place ( but by a small margin for a Regular guy ) but 3D is at top notch quality
esp when compared to sony w800/w700 . The regular Serials and films on channels (SD CONTENT)are looking either equal or better..

Do forget about the sound its totally useless ..but i didnt bother for it as i already had a Sony home theater in place .
....And as formats is concerned it plays almost all popular formats(though not as wide as samsung but i dnt thing i really require all)
I enjoyed Avengers 3D much better then movie theaters here in Bangalore (i watched it in innovative multiplex and decided never to go for movie in that theater again)
and forgot to mentioned 3 years full warranty on the TV

Other 3D that i enjoyed were (mostly mkv/mp4) mostly all SBS

Avatar.(Size 20gb played awesomely good )
Life of pi(did struck for sometime in the beginning until titles were over, file size is 30GB. i Observed that when file is more than 20+ GB it taking its time to adjust.Anyways i found a trick to load it fast)
Polar express
IMAX under the sea 3d
toy story 3
Monster inc 3d(Size is 2gb but what an amazing quality )
How to train a dragon 3d
Journey to the center of the earth 3d

All were awesome but Avengers Climax fight rocks a must watch !!!

Note in few store i found that 5d and 50d has a very less variation in price just 3k
dont get fooled by the 800hz thing .Basically 50d'S 3D is an Active shutter .
each glass is coupled with tv via Bluetooth each glass costs around 5k Rupees
and you get only a pair in the kit.While 5d is passive which are cheap and comes in 2pairs

Last edited:
Back