Audio ***Headphones around 1.5k***

I need a descent set of cans around 1.5 k

I currently have a 2 year old PX100 with me and I absolutely love them. Sadly I lost output in of the channels I could work on and replace the wires but I still need something in the meanwhile or save enough to get something better. I also own Sennheiser hd180, Soundmagic PL11,PL21,ES18 and PL30 . Prefer PL 21 the most :p

Right now, I am on a budget, I'd appreciate your suggestions. I need something portable, over the ears preferably. Comfort is important and balanced sound output. I am not a bass head but I do listen to a lot of Cream and well Jack Bruce is phenomenal. I listen to a lot of alternative/ indie stuff and rock & metal. No hip-hop or pop :p

I have a few options in mind mainly because of their price point. I have no idea how these sound, so i decided to bounce it off you guys.

Anyway here they are

Sennheiser HD218 (maniacstore.com is selling them for around 1k :p)
AKG K403 (from my research comfort is their Achilles heel, i wear eyeglassES)
Sony ZX300
Sennheiser PX80 (i read somewhere these are basically updates PX100?)
Audio Technica SJ11
Sony XB400
p.s - i've tried jbl tempo

I should have mentioned this. But they dont sound that good. For movies they can pass. But I need something to listen to my extensive music collection.

xb400 eyes closed. thats the best in sub2k IMO. its more on bassy side and may not be best for the genres you mentioned but still does pretty well. the most surprising part is the soundstage on them. its just amazing:woot:. definitely feels like an expensive sound has been put on for such a low price. you may feel the treble to be a little less. if you want an unmatched soundstage for a crazy low price, grab xb400. they are very comfy as well(i wear glasses too:watching: and i can easily slide my glasses in and out with the cans on) and passive isolation is very good. only thing i am worried about is the headbando_O. cups dont fold in but goes flat.
Otherwise, AT SJ33 would suit the best for your music preference and are more balanced sounding but then its around +2k. more portable as well. I have both and as of now xb400 is getting a lot of attention.
i have heard ZX300, px80. k403s would be too flimsy, hd218 sounds fine but i dont think can match up the comfort and isolation of xb400. sj11 may be good but xb is on the levels of sj33 which is a step up from sj11. anything apart from xb400 and sj33 would be a step down imo.

its more on bassy side and may not be best for the genres you mentioned but still does pretty well. the most surprising part is the soundstage on them. its just amazing:woot:. definitely feels like an expensive sound has been put on for such a low price. you may feel the treble to be a little less. if you want an unmatched soundstage for a crazy low price, grab xb400. they are very comfy as well(i wear glasses too:watching: and i can easily slide my glasses in and out with the cans on) and passive isolation is very good. only thing i am worried about is the headbando_O. cups dont fold in but goes flat.
How are the mids and highs on it? I'm guessing because it has good soundstaging it should cover for that extra bass?.;) I anyway dont prefer sharp or sparkling treble. But because I listen to a lot of rock and metal those cymbals need to come out well. And is it portable enough to carry in a laptop bag everyday? :p

yea it does it pretty good. the mids n treble takes a backseat though. the bass is upfront somewhat tight with a long decay. you wont miss a single bassline and guitars are gonna take the front. mids feel a bit veiled but vocals sound very natural and not too forward or back. treble is very smooth on them so no treble fatigue. now the cymbals which you are looking for shines at the back of basslines or drums. so you may need to dig in the space. If you feed a good hd live recording, well recorded or produced music, then the soundstage kicks in big and separates things real good and the bass wont feel to be ruling over mids or treble. Its not expansive by any means, feels infact closed in but d sense of space is good. It does good for classical rock or alternative, very good for acoustic but may not keep the pace with very fast music something like hardrock where distortion guitars are gonna rule evrything. Its actually best for something like electronic, new age & d likes.
You can consider the sj11 for your genre needs as its more balanced but i found the mentioned jack bruce to go good with xb400.

Last edited:
Back