headphones buying advice

emullama

Patron
Patron
looking at dt 770 pro, dt 700 pro x and hd 560s

i really only wanted sundara, but i've heard they fail a lot, or more than the ones with dynamic drivers.

thanks. have a great weekend.

I would go for DT 700 Pro X. I have tried them side by side with 770 Pros and they sound just flat out sound better with much cleaner high frequencies and fuller bass. Seriously, they blow 770 Pros out of the water in the low end frequencies. And I found them much more comfortable to wear with the thicker pads. There's a reason they are pricier lol

I've used the HD 598 SR, HD650, Sundara's and the Edition XS's.. the most comfortable for very long sessions was the Edition XS.

Sound qualitywise.. if you like listening to a alot of vocal rich music HD650..

Between the Sundara's and Edition XS.. i couldnt tell much difference soundwise tbh.

HD 598 SR were good but not as good as HD650's.. there was a clear difference in sound produced. I'm assuming HD560's are much closer to HD598 in quality.

dt 770 pro, dt 700 pro x and hd 560s
Both Beyers should be similar. The newer 700 pro x provide better seal, the reason why perceived bass seem better than dt770. Beyers are more comfortable than Sennheiser. But I prefer the Sennheiser sound (treble sensitive).
As for Hifiman their QC has been very spotty. First there are many complaints of one side not working. This can be due to the traces etched on the diaphragm breaking down (they are already crooked on new units (legendary QC) and with time they would tear...)

To compare the mentioned headphones to sundara this link might help:

As you can see sound-wise 560s should be closer to sundara than the Beyers. But the beyers provide V shape tuning and excellent comfort. So it comes down to your preference XD

I've used the HD 598 SR, HD650, Sundara's and the Edition XS's.. the most comfortable for very long sessions was the Edition XS.

Sound qualitywise.. if you like listening to a alot of vocal rich music HD650..

Between the Sundara's and Edition XS.. i couldnt tell much difference soundwise tbh.

HD 598 SR were good but not as good as HD650's.. there was a clear difference in sound produced. I'm assuming HD560's are much closer to HD598 in quality.
i've listened to sundara, 598 se and dt 770 pro. i liked sundara, but i don't like headphones or anything failing on me. now i'm primarily gonna be consuming media on these, movies, some rpgs, so i'd think something with a reasonably wide soundstage, and a hint of a sub-bass would make sense? idk. i do like slightly treble sensitive drivers, but having said that, i really liked how the dt 770s fit my head. welp.
Both Beyers should be similar. The newer 700 pro x provide better seal, the reason why perceived bass seem better than dt770. Beyers are more comfortable than Sennheiser. But I prefer the Sennheiser sound (treble sensitive).
As for Hifiman their QC has been very spotty. First there are many complaints of one side not working. This can be due to the traces etched on the diaphragm breaking down (they are already crooked on new units (legendary QC) and with time they would tear...)

To compare the mentioned headphones to sundara this link might help:

As you can see sound-wise 560s should be closer to sundara than the Beyers. But the beyers provide V shape tuning and excellent comfort. So it comes down to your preference XD
i have a decade old pair of m50x' that i'm using now, i don't like the dead center zero soundstage nor the fuzzy mids to lows, i tried dt 770s and i liked the soundstage on it, but didn't try it for long enough to know whether its bass would be fatiguing over a couple of hours of use. someone has their dt 700 x on hpz for about the same racks as 770, now if it's just as comfortable and retains 770' soundstage, i don't know which one to get. thanks for cammyfi. cheers.

You first need to decide on open vs closed format. Dt770 is closed, hd560s isn't. Being a closed one, DT 770's soundstage is exceptional and beats most low to midrange open ears. The bass is overpowering, and unless you are a basshead it will be very fatiguing. They sound anything but flat btw. Biggest issue for me was the comfort/fit, which was absolutely terrible for me from the very beginning and gradually became worse as several pieces of the headphone started breaking part by part. Which actually forced me to break it the whole. But you mentioned you found them comfortable, so there's that. It's a headphone which I'll recommended to people looking for an entertaining/fun sound for a short duration.

HD 560s on the other hand is all plastic built (made in China) if you sit on then they might break lol. But they are infinitely more comfortable for me. And soundstage is as good as can be expected from a midrange product. As I moved from dt 770, initally I was amazed by the openness of soundstage. Bass is very much there, in fact if the seal is good it's quite strong. Excellent headphone for gaming (CS like), great for movies. But for music, I'm not so sure about the tonal purity. They sound a bit harsh to my ears, treble inclined. Fatigue will settle in for long hours.

Back