Help buying a TV for 30k

tufel

Adept
Hey,

I was looking to buy a HDTV.

Purpose -

1080p movies via USB

Budget - 30k.

I've demoed Samsung 32eh4000 but did not really the picture quality. The Sony 32EX330 had much crisper and natural picture than the former. Both these TVs were factory reset before demoing. It also seems to be playing all the formats via USB (Can anyone confirm this?) The store owner kept pushing me for the Sony TV.
Both these TVs were factory reset before demoing.

Have I got any other options? Not open to grey market purchase. Thanks in advance

You can buy Sony BRAVIA 32 inches HD LCD KLV-32CX350 Television

Features
BRAVIA Engine 3
Clear resolution enhancer
Photo Frame mode
USB Play (Video, Music, Photo)
Intelligent Picture Plus
BRAVIA Sync
Installation Process: Call Sony toll free number (1800-103-7799) for installation. Installation and unpacking will be done only by manufacturer within 2 to 3 business days after delivery.
*Freebies will be delivered after the delivery of product
*Freebies are only valid till 6 months after the purchase of product

You could buy this tv online in just 28900 from snapdeal and EMI options 3 & 6 months
Sony BRAVIA 32 inches HD LCD KLV-32CX350 Television - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

My apologies for bumping an old thread but did not feel the need for a new thread. So, this dealer in Hyderabad is offering me Sony 32EX330 from Malaysia for 25k. It seems it is either called the 32EX33A or 32EX33B in Malaysia. He says there is no difference between this and the Indian version. My questions in order:
1. Is he stating facts? Is there really no difference between the two.
2. Is it safe buying it from Grey market? Any particular risks?
3. Is the price right? Do I negotiate more?

RS4 adder Gannu Tagging you people for some expert opinions.

There is indeed no difference between the EX33B and EX330 .
It if safe to buy the grey market,provided you know the drawbacks which is no warranty,you can however get a paid service in the authorized service centers.You also should make sure its a sealed piece,some units may have been removed from the box to give a demo,which is alright,but if there are more then one units of the same model and size its better to ask for the sealed box.

Before buying inspect the screen for any dead pixels(use Red,Green,Blue.White,Black jpeg images in USB drive) and being a led based one also see for backlight bleeding or clouding can be spotted by viewing a blank screen and cranking up the backlight.

No idea about the price.If you are keen on USB play back i would go with samsung it may play more formats,so check the user manual of both.

There is indeed no difference between the EX33B and EX330 .
It if safe to buy the grey market,provided you know the drawbacks which is no warranty,you can however get a paid service in the authorized service centers.You also should make sure its a sealed piece,some units may have been removed from the box to give a demo,which is alright,but if there are more then one units of the same model and size its better to ask for the sealed box.

Before buying inspect the screen for any dead pixels(use Red,Green,Blue.White,Black jpeg images in USB drive) and being a led based one also see for backlight bleeding or clouding can be spotted by viewing a blank screen and cranking up the backlight.

No idea about the price.If you are keen on USB play back i would go with samsung it may play more formats,so check the user manual of both.
Thanks.
1 A new EX330 is available for about 31k. So 25k (without wall mount) for a grey piece sounds good, right?
2. I actually compared this to Samsung 32EH5000 but I found EX330 was a lot more vivid, sharp and pleasing to the eye. It also played .mkv which was surprising. Overall looked like a better set despite EH5000 being FHD.
3. What kind of charges I'm looking at if the TV develops, say, dead pixels? I just want to make sure if it is worth it buying from grey market.

Appreciate all the help.

@tufel, unfortunately I am out of the HDTV scene for quite a while and aren’t well aware of the recent developments like the new sets released, changes from the older revisions, panels etc. Really sorry about that! :(

But yeah grey market sets can be purchased without issues provided you exercise some caution. Adder has already pointed them out. Ensure that Samsung or Sony can repair a display which is a grey market piece or import. You should enquire this from their authorized service centre perhaps. Take ample time at the outlet testing the display before you buy it. Once you buy it, the dealer will not accept it back!

As far as USB playback for media goes, take a portable drive that has media of various containers. Chances are, the Sony TV might not play some whereas the Samsung display might. I’ve always found out during my research that Samsung displays played most of the content and had a pretty slick interface for the USB media playback. LG had the worst with a kindergarten inspired interface and failed to play some of the media. Sony's imported displays played most albeit lesser than what the Samsung did.

Last edited by a moderator:
tufel, unfortunately I am out of the HDTV scene for quite a while and aren’t well aware of the recent developments like the new sets released, changes from the older revisions, panels etc. Really sorry about that! :(

But yeah grey market sets can be purchased without issues provided you exercise some caution. Adder has already pointed them out. Ensure that Samsung or Sony can repair a display which is a grey market piece or import. You should enquire this from their authorized service centre perhaps. Take ample time at the outlet testing the display before you buy it. Once you buy it, the dealer will not accept it back!

As far as USB playback for media goes, take a portable drive that has media of various containers. Chances are, the Sony TV might not play some whereas the Samsung display might. I’ve always found out during my research that Samsung displays played most of the content and had a pretty slick interface for the USB media playback. LG had the worst with a kindergarten inspired interface and failed to play some of the media. Sony's imported displays played most albeit lesser than what the Samsung did.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe, I should wait for adder to reply. I shall go to Reliance Digital and maybe have another look. Over the last few weeks my priority has changed from USB playback to pure picture quality. That is a good thing right?

Over the last few weeks my priority has changed from USB playback to pure picture quality. That is a good thing right?

Certainly. PQ wins over the media playback any day! Media playback is just an added feature (and quite possibly a marketing gimmick by some manufacturers!) and will possibly eliminate the need for a separate standalone media player. Sony has deeper blacks and their PVA panels always seemed better than Samsung panels back when I was looking around for a display.

In my case, since my TVs couldn't play FLAC audio files, I had to invest in a media player later. But otherwise my 2 year old Samsung display played every other format I threw at it.

Certainly. PQ wins over the media playback any day! Media playback is just an added feature (and quite possibly a marketing gimmick by some manufacturers!) and will possibly eliminate the need for a separate standalone media player. Sony has deeper blacks and their PVA panels always seemed better than Samsung panels back when I was looking around for a display.

In my case, since my TVs couldn't play FLAC audio files, I had to invest in a media player later. But otherwise my 2 year old Samsung display played every other format I threw at it.

What are the chances of my TV developing a problem? If I do not encounter a problem while demoing it, does it mean it most likely won't develop problems in the future?

There's no certainty about that but you can ensure that you do not increase the chances of the display going defective by investing in a stabiliser unit. Voltage fluctuations will damage the internal circuitry and the TV would go bad quickly.

Both the Sony EX330 and the samsung EH5000 mostly do not have a samsung SPVA panel,the reason being these two tvs have advertised has LED Backlight and not EDGE LED ,having seen the service menu of the 40EH5000 again (advertised has LED backlight) i can say that it didn't have a SPVA panel,its likely of SMVA origin since if it was AMVA panel i could have seen the AUO code,(unless the code is changed for backlight led model).

However the screen uniformity should be better then EDGE led models.The 100hz advertized in both these models have no noticeable improvements in Picture quality other then the picture going dim.
As far as SPVA is concerned they can show slightly better blacks only noticeable in a dark room or night viewing.

Also while the Sony may play all the videos via USB ,check whether it can also play the audio,since when i tested in last years BE3 models the sony didn't play the audio part of the video.It also couldn't play some high bitrate videos,do note these where tested in last years models.

Back