Disciple
Hi

I recently bought a pc with this configuration

i3 2100

DH67CL

Corsair 4GB DDR3

Corsair 430v2

Samsung 20" LED 1600X900

I am not happy with the integrated graphics. I installed the latest drivers and still I am not happy with the display. My 3 year old laptop with ATI 3400 has better display when connected to this monitor. The main purpose of the pc is downloading, watching movies and casual gaming (like starcraft 2). I am not planning on upgrading anything else.

I am planning on buying from flipkart or delta

Thanks for any input.

Sir please mention your budget,although i would suggest you to get Sapphire/Msi HD6770-6.2k.

Thanks for your reply.

I just don't want some component to be a bottleneck. I am willing to spend as much as needed, provided my processor, board, RAM or monitor will not be the bottleneck. As I mentioned earlier, I am not planning on upgrading anything else.

As you are willing to spend more, I suggest you to get a MSI 6850 cyclone or Sapphire 6850, coz CX430v2 is capable of handling this card easily and wont be a bottleneck to any of your existing components.

Thanks for your reply.

I just don't want some component to be a bottleneck. I am willing to spend as much as needed, provided my processor, board, RAM or monitor will not be the bottleneck. As I mentioned earlier, I am not planning on upgrading anything else.

Get the AMD HD 6850 ~8500/- OR AMD HD 7770 GHz edition ~8300/-.

The HD 7770 GHz is more power efficient but the HD 6850 [even after being an older model] outpace's it comfortably, though at a slightly higher TDP.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Seems like you're nvdia fanboy jinvidia,Ati has almost beaten nvdia gpu lineup in all the costs thus ati gpus are suggested according to performance.
Are'nt NVIDIA cards worth the buck nowadays ?. Why does everyone ignore NVIDIA in recent times ?

Well, Its your own personal choice to buy any card from AMD or nVIDIA . Personally, I had bitter experience with 2 AMD cards ( HD 4670 and HD 6850 ), so i went with nVIDIA card despite low cost / performance ratio. and I'm quite happy with it.. ( I hate huge power consumption and high temp though ).

If you're going to spend around 6-7.5K.. try to get HD 6770 (from AMD ) @ 6.5K or GTX 550Ti ( from nVIDIA ) at 7.5K . Though, its your own choice , you decide yourself.

6850 beats the hell out of any Nvidia card in its range and below it. Is a good overclocker and consumes less power. 550ti is not a match to 6850 by any means, neither in raw performance nor in power consumption. In its era it killed GXT460 1gb too.

So if you are not limited by budget, then it makes no sense going for a 550ti instead of 6850. I have had both ATI/Nvidia cards and have good experience with both. But from past 2 years Ati is beating Nvidia consistently in price performance ratio. We all are waiting for Nvidias reply by Kepler....

Get the AMD HD 6850 ~8500/- OR AMD HD 7770 GHz edition ~8300/-.

The HD 7770 GHz is more power efficient but the HD 6850 [even after being an older model] outpace's it comfortably, though at a slightly higher TDP.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

the 7770 is not that great.. for that price one can get a 6790(a 256 bus width compared to the 128 of 7770) or better still 6850

Well, Its your own personal choice to buy any card from AMD or nVIDIA . Personally, I had bitter experience with 2 AMD cards ( HD 4670 and HD 6850 ), so i went with nVIDIA card despite low cost / performance ratio. and I'm quite happy with it.. ( I hate huge power consumption and high temp though ).

If you're going to spend around 6-7.5K.. try to get HD 6770 (from AMD ) @ 6.5K or GTX 550Ti ( from nVIDIA ) at 7.5K . Though, its your own choice , you decide yourself.

I feel sorry for your loss dude
<
AMD would have been better for you but alas.. however instead of the 550ti the 6790 would be better..

@OP, if you can wait till Kepler launches then i believe AMD prices will take a dip with much better cost to performance ratio. I hope that's worth the wait. else, take my GTX 560ti TF II @ 10.5k
<
It beats 6850, 7770. 6790 too .

the 7770 is not that great.. for that price one can get a 6790(a 256 bus width compared to the 128 of 7770) or better still 6850.

A bigger bus did not mean that the HD 6790 outperformed the HD 6850, as well as the HD 6790 was a stop gap product -->
  • It runs hotter than the HD 6850, draws more power too.
  • Performance is lower than the HD 6850.
  • Over-clocking it is not effective as the HD 68** series.

I feel sorry for your loss dude AMD would have been better for you but alas.. however instead of the 550ti the 6790 would be better..

Straight up in that segment I would have preferred the same choice GTX 550 Ti, it is actually better [draws less power] than the HD 6790 and puts up roughly the same numbers, also plenty of over-clocking potential [along with associate power draw].

@OP, if you can wait till Kepler launches then i believe AMD prices will take a dip with much better cost to performance ratio. I hope that's worth the wait. else, take my GTX 560ti TF II @ 10.5k
<
It beats 6850, 7770. 6790 too .

Not to impinge on anyone's views here but honestly there are a lot of things that I will rather not wait for Kepler to release --
  • Only nVidia knows when it shall release.
  • They are conflicting reports of poor die harvests, nVidia always has these issues when they migrate to a new production node.
  • All performance numbers we are getting from them are by them [nVidia], no individual benchmarks so does this remind you of a recent release [AMD Bulldozer].
  • Honestly Fermi did not reach mass market till GTX 460 was released [3 months after GTX 480, 70, 465]

So until they are really hiding something from us, I don't think Kepler will upset the equation too much, maybe take the performance crown, but cost to performance ratio has been AMD Graphics divisions [formerly ATi] forte since they rolled out the HD 4*** series.

best deal out there for you OP

OP already said he will not upgrade anything apart from the GPU and he is limited by the Corsair CX V2 430W SMPS he has on his RIG detail currently.

Hey #mrcool63 nothing personal, Peace!!

Back