Help buying Server System for Accounts (Tally)

mihirX

Adept
Hello friends, my uncle needs to buy a server for accounts data storage (of his shop), it will be connected to 5 PC's and one thinkline and all the accounts data (Tally) will be stored on the server.

He went to some computer store and the rep suggested him:

IBM x3200 M3 - 7328 16S One Socket Tower
Xeon E3430 2.4ghz, 8mb cache, 1333mhz (memory speed), 2gb ram, 250gb sata HDD

IBM x3400 M3 - 7379 14S Two Socket Tower
Xeon E5506 2.13ghz, 4mb cache, 800mhz (memory speed), 2gb ram, RAID 01 inbuilt

He is quite flexible about the budget, as one of the above costs around 45k & the other one around 80k (as per the price list). He just needs the perfect system for his accounting needs - not less, not more. It will be a complete system with LCD monitor (18 inch+), kb/mouse etc. everything.

He is open to any brand and will buy from Mumbai.

I can assemble normal PC's but never done any server, is there any difference?

Anyway, please suggest me some models (or config for assembling if its the same as assembling a PC).

Thanks.

Hope your uncle is using tally9.Tally is a simple package so dont need a higher configuration.Since only 5 users are there,u can go for a an IBM X3200M3,4 Gbram,250Gbx2 HDD and raid1.HP ML110 G6 servers also do the job.Both had onboard Raid0/1 controller.If RPS needed then you must get atleast IBM X3400M3 or HP ML150G6.Check with the retailers whether the HP had any promotion for ML110.Since october is the year end of HP,they had some crazy discounts for servers.

Thanks dracul :)

Up to how many Tally users would IBM X3200M3 work perfectly?

And, any place you would recommend to buy IBM server (preferably mumbai)?

Thanks.

upto 10 users basic servers like IBMx3200/HPML110 is sufficient.User count is not much significant in tally rather the redundancy part is more to be taken care.

So a server with redundant power supply,3 sas hdd in raid5,4gb ram, a xeon quad core is more future proof.if ur uncle is ready to spent atleast 1lakhs,he will get a good server with above specification.You can contact IBM/HP partners around you.Ask them to give a quote with following specs.Always insist on three year onsite warranty.

^ Thanks again :)

One of my friend is recommending IBM over HP for tally use, what do you say? He says he has experienced many problems with HP+Tally combo, is it true?

What ever the problem it has nothing to do with HP itself but the Hardware on the PC. Maybe it was faulty or maybe poor A.S.S.

Back