Help buying simple gigabit switch

Hi
I'm looking to buy a simple cheap efficient gigabit lan switch for use between my main lan to be split between pc and tv

Does every port on a gigabit switch get full speed or it is split between the connected ports?
Limited-time deal: TP-Link LS105G 5-Port Desktop/Wallmount Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Ethernet Splitter, Plug & Play, 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45, Steel Case https://amzn.in/d/cmfANp7

Every port on the switch is 1 Gigabit.

In this case, say you connect 3 devices.

1 PC, 1 TV and upstream connection to router. All 3 will be Gigabit.

But if PC and TV are saturating the connection fully, your upstream router will still only provide data at 1 Gbps. (and not 2 Gbps)

On the other hand, if PC and TV are requesting data, at say, 300 Mbps, then your upstream router will provide data at 600 Mbps and still have enough bandwidth for another 400 Mbps available on the other 2 ports.

Each port is gigabit.

If Device A and Device B are both downloading from Device X, Device X has only 1g bandwidth on its port, so Device A + B will get 1Gb/s shared.

But Device A is downloading from Device X and Device B from Device Y, both will get gigabit.
Thanks everyone...this is what I was looking for that there are no artificial caps like 200 mbps each if 5 are connected...I totally understand when it is downloading it will split between the devices based on the negotiation protocol

Thanks everyone...this is what I was looking for that there are no artificial caps like 200 mbps each if 5 are connected...I totally understand when it is downloading it will split between the devices based on the negotiation protocol
Thats why it is called a switch not a splitter. You should be more concerned about end clients and their restrictions

Back