OC & Modding Help CPU is frying!!

^^lolz 25 degree drop not possible even with water cooling.:p

okay now m having doubt post ur whole rig specs

have u disabled the 'cool n quiet' from bios. wts ur fan speed??.

@deus asked to show pics while applying the paste...nxt time..though the syringe doesnt seem to have too much paste.

theres somethin else thats causing the higher temperature.

check these.

disable cool n quiet option

monitor the fan speed

does the heatsink has dust clogging?? clean it if so.

is the heatsink properly seated on the proccy chip??.

WingZero said:
^^lolz 25 degree drop not possible even with water cooling.:p

okay now m having doubt post ur whole rig specs

have u disabled the 'cool n quiet' from bios. wts ur fan speed??.

@deus asked to show pics while applying the paste...nxt time..though the syringe doesnt seem to have too much paste.

theres somethin else thats causing the higher temperature.

check these.

disable cool n quiet option

monitor the fan speed

does the heatsink has dust clogging?? clean it if so.

is the heatsink properly seated on the proccy chip??.

Some body told me 3800+ idles at 40C, so I was kinda hoping to get there :)

Yeah I have CnQ enabled in bios and even a utility of sorts(from AUS, my MB, site) installed in windows.

There's no dust on HS, I washed it :D

It should be properly seated, I mean there's not much space to move around, it has a black rectangular thing on MB which holds it in place.

With CnQ enabled and stock heatsink, my 4000+ in a CM Elite idles at 38 degrees. These temperatures are way out of whack. When the CPU is registering 50+ degrees, the heatsink should be very warm to touch. Depending on your resistance to heat, it may also feel hot. If it does not, then the problem is the contact between the heatsink and CPU, which is why the CPU is heating up but the heatsink isn't.

Also try reinstalling the monitoring software. Sometimes it goes out of whack in its readings, but I'd put some blame on shoddy application. Try Coretemp, it has more accurate readings than most.

Edit: When you washed the heatsink, did you remove the fan beforehand?

sangram said:
When the CPU is registering 50+ degrees, the heatsink should be very warm to touch. Depending on your resistance to heat, it may also feel hot. If it does not, then the problem is the contact between the heatsink and CPU, which is why the CPU is heating up but the heatsink isn't.

Also try reinstalling the monitoring software. Sometimes it goes out of whack in its readings, but I'd put some blame on shoddy application. Try Coretemp, it has more accurate readings than most.

Edit: When you washed the heatsink, did you remove the fan beforehand?

Hmmm a very valid point, i tries touching the HS while it was running, it was warm but not hot. But that is a very subjective rating :)

I installed coretemp. it shows 57+55(core0+core1)

I feel kinda stupid answering this, but yes I did remove the fan :D I know anything with wires coming out should not be washed :D

Deus Ex Machina said:
Hmmm a very valid point, i tries touching the HS while it was running, it was warm but not hot. But that is a very subjective rating :)

I installed coretemp. it shows 57+55(core0+core1)

I feel kinda stupid answering this, but yes I did remove the fan :D I know anything with wires coming out should not be washed :D

so u have an x2 3800+??...i had same proccy and tht thing idled at 42-44..load max would go to 52-54.
u can disable cool n quiet also monitor the fan speed, use speefan utility for this. pls post the pics of cabbie from inside.

lets start from the beginning
1. remove the paste on your cpu by using isopropyl alcohol swabs
2. reapply the TIM, just a small drop would do at the center
3. if you want to, spread it by using a credit card or else leave it as it is
4. mount the heatsink

that is it....it's not that hard!:hap5:

Well, well, I just checked the temp in BIOS for the first time. It was after half and hour of idling windows session. Temp came out to be 45C and within 3 mins it dropped to 30 C.

I immediately booted up Windows(from hibernation) and temp is again 54-55C..

hmmm....

lolz...now thts wierd....wts the monitoring utility u using??..

as if the bios shows 30 then its some fault with ur soft.

use coretemp n chek

I have some Arctic MX-2 as well as Tuniq paste lying around with me. I'll provide you some in a pouch. Clean the heatsink and processor with isopropyl alcohol and apply a tinge of this thermal compound in the middle of the processor die and spread evenly with bond paper.......also make sure that heatsink is not lose and making a tight contact with the processor ......replace the original fan with the 80mm fan and tug it with the heatsink with the help of screws or zip ties....

Those temps are fine then, you have two possibilities:

1. Faulty readings from your monitoring software. Load up Coretemp and check.

2. Something in windows is consuming 100% of your processor, leading to full load temps. Task Manager should point out the offending process.

3. Faulty reading from your BIOS, this is also known to happen. Coretemp is pretty much your best bet at telling you a close to accurate temp.

I AM using core temp already and Lavasys and ASUS PCProbe. All give same temp :(

I also enabled a warning in BIOS in case temp goes above 51C, havent sen anything yet. Waise dunno how BIOS will show the warning in windows.

When I started up my PCthis morning, it said FAN speed check failed, which means that speed is below 800 rpm.

@zanderzone

That seems like last resort. Waiting for friday...

bingo....since how many posts m askin u to monitor the fan speed,,:(

check with speedfan the rpm of the fans...asus probe will also do the job.

Back