Graphic Cards Help identify why my AliExpress graphics card got bricked

mudeth

Disciple
In 2019, I bought this used RX570 on AE. Recently, after a long gaming session, my computer crashed and it just died. It isn't being seen in device manager, but the fan does spin on boot.

I reseated it but no dice.

How do I go about troubleshooting it? I've ordered a 1650 temporarily (I'm on the waitlist for a 3060ti) and written this card off as a lost cause but it might be a good learning experience to try to diagnose and recover it.

Would I be able to reflash BIOS considering it doesn't show up in device manager? Any physical signs or blown components I can check for?

You will see burn marks on the PCB for sure, if its a hardware failure. And you can reflash the bios. Head over to techpowerup and there are a lot of resources for reflashing bios. You may have to use another card as the primary display to do this.

BTW, did you get any burnt smell from the card?

Thanks for the response!

> BTW, did you get any burnt smell from the card?

Nope, nothing. I had a cursory look at the back of the PCB and saw nothing burnt, but once I get my new card I'll take the whole thing apart and re-paste. I'll take a closer look then.

> you can reflash the bios

Am I on the right track - I'm thinking either this (Samsung memory) or this (Hynix) BIOS should work depending on which chips I see underneath?
HTB1GQzmb2c3T1VjSZLeq6zZsVXaw.jpg

Does your card say AMD near the PCIE connector like the picture above? If so then its a reference board. Choose a bios which is for a ref board.

Does your card say AMD near the PCIE connector like the picture above? If so then its a reference board. Choose a bios which is for a ref board.
I believe it does. The BIOS's on Techpowerup that say 'AMD' as manufacturer are reference cards right?

The BIOS's on Techpowerup that say 'AMD' as manufacturer are reference cards right?
They might not be that straight forward. I had experimented with a Sapphire RX570. Techpowerup did not have it's proper BIOS.

Before flashing BIOS, try to scavenge as much information as you can based on part number, AliEx description and reviews of that listing.

Not sure man...been a long time since I did this. You will have to read up a bit on the TPU forums. All the best.
Yeah, googled a bit, but couldn't find a definitive answer about ref BIOSes. Thanks very much for the pointers though!

They might not be that straight forward. I had experimented with a Sapphire RX570. Techpowerup did not have it's proper BIOS.

Before flashing BIOS, try to scavenge as much information as you can based on part number, AliEx description and reviews of that listing.

Looks like I'll have to wing it. Guess I have nothing to lose at this point. Thanks!

Update

Card was absolutely unresponsive, it wasn't detected at all by ATITool. I had purchased a 1650 and was using it and all was fine.

Meanwhile, I was putting away some old computer stuff into storage and I found a SATA-power to 6-pin connector that the seller had shipped with this card. I thought I'd try it with this dead card, and lo and behold it's working fine now, Furmark stable as well.

Possible that my PSU was borked, but it's a good one so it may be something to do with power limits maybe?

Anyone having the same problem should definitely try this first.

SATA power to 6 pin connector or molex to 6 pin connector?

So, basically, if I understand you correctly, the 6 pin cable of your PSU is bad? Whats your PSU?

SATA power to 6 pin connector or molex to 6 pin connector?

So, basically, if I understand you correctly, the 6 pin cable of your PSU is bad? Whats your PSU?
Cooler master thunder 700, bought in 2014. The converter was SATA power (slot type) to 6 pin.

Either the PSU is bad or there is something weird with power draw with this card that makes it fail when given 6 pin power. When I made this thread I went through the AliExpress listing and the seller is adamant that "testing should be done with supplied power cable".

I have an old r9 270x that I will test my PSU with when I get back to this system to see if that is the problem.

If your other card is working with the PSU, then I am at a loss as to whats happening. But if its not, then maybe one of the cables in the PCIE cable has come become loose, or something to that effect.

Back