Budget 21-30k Help in buying a chromebook/laptop

nuvo

Disciple
First the questionnaire:

• What's your Budget? <30K
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? web surfing/occasional photoshop
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 13"-14"
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Stay away from HP, interested in Samsung Chromebook 2
  • Any other considerations? Priority is in display quality/resolution

Need details:

• This would be for use by wify only hence no need for gaming, music etc.
  • She already have a tablet but is comfortable with physical keyboard only.
  • As we have bad experience with HP laptops, hence she detest the brand.
  • She is comfortable with any OS, currently uses Linux Deepin, hence OS is not an issue.

Help required

• I am interested in Samy Chromebook 2 mainly due to the resolution thing. Since MS office or other Window specialized programs are hardly used, so I guess we can save some money by skipping Windows. But I am not finding any way to procure the same. Kindly help.
  • I am open to any other suggestion as long as it is below 30k (After sale is not an issue nor is online purchase).
Looking for your valuable suggestions....

Being a Google product, I guess Picassa would run in Chromebook which can deal with Raw files. As I said, this product is not intended for serious use. For my personal use, I am planning to invest on a desktop with enough juice to run Adobe Photoshop etc. But immediate requirement is of a chromebook/laptop below 30k.

Rather than the Samsung Chromebook which I believe is a ARM based, would suggest to go with one based on Haswell. Reason - you want to run something else, you can make the switch to any Linux distro/Android or (worst case) Windoze.

Rather than the Samsung Chromebook which I believe is a ARM based, would suggest to go with one based on Haswell. Reason - you want to run something else, you can make the switch to any Linux distro/Android or (worst case) Windoze.
If I buy a Chromebook(samsung/acer/HP) and replace the SSD with a hard disk, will it void the warranty?

Without a HDD, it is difficult to install Windows.

If I buy a Chromebook(samsung/acer/HP) and replace the SSD with a hard disk, will it void the warranty?

Without a HDD, it is difficult to install Windows.

Yes it should void the warranty, but rather than having an ARM device, the x86/64 device should have higher reuse in the future.

Yes it should void the warranty, but rather than having an ARM device, the x86/64 device should have higher reuse in the future.
If the HDD bay of the Chromebook is fastened using screws which do not have the tamper proof stickers on them, will it still void the warranty?
I believe modern laptops usually have easily accessible HDD and RAM bays.

Gurus, after giving up on Samsung Chromebook 2, I am finally zeroing on between Dell Vostro 3446 and Lenovo B490. Which would be better for the intended use, i.e. internet (multi tabs), torrent and occasional photoshop.

If you buy Dell Vostro 3446, do not buy the i3 version. It is the ULV variant of i3 and will be pretty slow. Get the i5 version. It will be ULV but will give acceptable performance.

Thanx for the feedback... any pointer towards the display quality would be much appreciated. As I reside in a remote (sort of) location, hence it is not possible to physically examine the two.

@hotshot05 I guess i5 version would overshoot my budget. Anyway, I will search for the same.

Thanx for the feedback... any pointer towards the display quality would be much appreciated. As I reside in a remote (sort of) location, hence it is not possible to physically examine the two.

@hotshot05 I guess i5 version would overshoot my budget. Anyway, I will search for the same.
The i5 version costs around 38k.

I would say go for the Lenovo B490. For Photoshop, you will need a good processor. Normal M series i3 processor is good enough for that.

Back