Help in choosing mid-end droid phone

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Well I am planning [not really atm buying] to get an android phone. Since I am a student I don't really need off the shelve and out of box multicore processor or some gimmicky stuff that adds to the price, what I am looking for is -

1. Q: Budget?

A: 15-20k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: TFT / LED / AMOLED

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: None in particular

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required at least 5MP camera. Flash. With better sensors.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G. / Wifi/ GPS/ Bluetooth

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Music, Sports - Tracker, Reading , Application development.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Sony Xperial Sola,
  • Good looking with ample processing power.
  • Modding support.
  • More than fast web browsing.
  • Music and videos
  • Sports Tracker heavy usage http://www.sports-tracker.com/

That are the only primary need that I have, if the phone can render pdf that will be beneficial but i don't like sluggish rendering. I am buying the phone for learning purpose (droid ecosystem) and development of apps.

I dont have ample money in my hand nor I want a high end phone. My current phone Motorola WX260 (999 bucks) serves me good. have no real contrainst for screen size but it shouldn't be too big to carry.

Budget is max 15k that I can arrange. Will be good if I get some great deal online with some coupons.

Other than that I don't know what to expect. Not particularly looking for good cam and all, just more than decent music and web support with ample processing power.

Some phones that I like are - HTC WIldfire S, Rhyme and defy (not particularly but decent).

That should suffice I guess , please do suggest me a decent phone.

Regards

Any good deals available for Neo V ? Can I get it till 15 / using coupon and all,

Looks fine to me plus waiting is not helping my needs. Given NXT lineup comes with measly battery.

Neo V has ICS update in the channel right ?

^^ not getting Neo V @ 15k with manufacturer warranty only with dealer warranty..

Unless I get hold of some 10% discount coupon at letsbuy or homeshop.

Edit- Will go to local shop to experience both of them in real

HTC has awesome interface with sense and lots of customization. How is the developer support ?

Sony - Has decent interface with ample tweaking options.

Am kind of confused. Look wise sony is better, I am kind of inclined towards SE but will check them in person before buying.

^^ not getting Neo V @ 15k with manufacturer warranty only with dealer warranty..

Unless I get hold of some 10% discount coupon at letsbuy or homeshop.

Edit- Will go to local shop to experience both of them in real

HTC has awesome interface with sense and lots of customization. How is the developer support ?

Sony - Has decent interface with ample tweaking options.

Am kind of confused. Look wise sony is better, I am kind of inclined towards SE but will check them in person before buying.

I have checked out One V and can tell you that it has a solid construction & its design is pretty good too except for that chin which wasn't needed.

I would suggest you to wait for a couple of months if possible as you'll have much better options including some dual cores if you increase your budget a bit.
<

<

^^Dual core phones will not serve any good except for eating battery. its a phone after all, I don't expect to do multitasking except for 1-2 apps.

Plus it doesn't make sense anymore to buy ARM based dual core CPU, they are not efficient.

http://www.ebay.in/i...4#ht_2638wt_905

#[member='Aces170'] - From the above link - its for 15k , sealed, brand new , 1 year dealer warranty with bill. cant we use the bill to claim manufacturer warranty ? I still don't get this thing. If the box is sealed there must be a warranty card isn't it ?

^^ Nope, those will be parallel import phones, which SE India will not honor. Have a look at HTC One V, I was very impressed with the unibody design, SE feels a little plasticky in comparison.

Both the phones have a vibrant dev community, although as One V is a new phone, its building up. In addition if you are gonna use OEM ROMS, then HTC's Sense UI is leagues ahead of anything Samsung/SE offers.

The cheapest dual cores available are Sensation/Atrix 2/Photon, all around 20-21k(less with coupons) on ebay. If you can increase your budget till that, buy one of these. Otherwise, checkout the Sony Neo V.

Not considering HTC One V, no dedicated camera key ( a must in such phones), pathtic picture experience and sluggish web browsing.

Will consider Neo V for now, if not that will check Sola / Xperia U.

Not considering HTC One V, no dedicated camera key ( a must in such phones), pathtic picture experience and sluggish web browsing.

Will consider Neo V for now, if not that will check Sola / Xperia U.

Bad news buddy, Cross Xperia P & U delayed. Source: http://www.GSMArena.com/sony_xperia_p_and_xperia_u_delayed_until_may_28-news-4139.php

I think it'll hit Indian shores around mid June or July. So wait that long if you can or go with whatever is available at present.
<

DS: I think you are wrongly interpreting the Engadget's review, he is comparing the web browser to the dual cores, and hence finding it slower. Neo V will be similar. The camera IMO is better then Neo V, have a look at sample comparison between the Neo V and One V:

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=4575&idPhone2=4122&idPhone3=4276

Yep the lack of dedicated camera button is a bummer, but I yet feel overall its a better package compared to Neo V. Besides just hold the two phones, and you will come to know the difference in the build quality.

Back