Storage Solutions Help me build a PC without any internal Hard Disk

MacFanBoy

Disciple
I want to do away the HDD from my PC. I use this PC only for my office work and dont want to it to have any sensitive data in its memory once I switch it off.

So I found only one solution. Install and run XP from a removable Disk and remove the internal HDD completely. Since i`ll be getting a new PC for this purpose I`ll make sure I get a motherboard with USB/Firewire boot option. I know it`ll be slow if I boot from USB but I can definitely live with that. Now for this removable disk I have few options-

1> 2.5" portable USB HDD- The problem is even though its quite small, it`s still too big to fit your pockets and will be prone to damage if it stays with me all the time.

2> 1.8" USB HDD- pretty small but still there is a high risk of loosing data if I keep it in my pockets all the time. It might be harder to find too. Also any HDD with moving parts will get hot and it might not be possible to put it straight away in my pocket coz of the temperature.

3> 8+ GB USB Flash drive/SD card- Beats any HDD as far as size is considered. But it`ll be even slower and it might be more difficult to install XP on it.

4> 1.8" 8+ GB SSD- Would be the best option. It`s bigger than the USB memory stick but still small enough. It`ll be less prone to damage while traveling in my pockets. But these might be expensive and hard to find. How much can I get it for?
These are the only options I could think of. And these are all just guesses. more like wishes. I have no idea how feasible it wud be to run XP from a USB/FireWire drive. I tried googling and it seems like it`ll be really difficult to install XP on the USB memory stick.

Someone please tell me what should I do. If USB is not et al possible then I`ll need to find some other way out. How bout using a SATA 1.8 or 2.5 HDD which plug straight in to the CPU cabinet like a CD/DVD(I remember seeing an HP advert on tv where a guy just pushes a button and an encased HDD pops out of the CPU ).

If all else fails I`ll simply open up the CPU cabinet and pull the sata cables out of the box. And then just attach a 2.5" HDD when I need to work and pull it out once I m done. OOPS I dont even know if I can use a 1.8" or 2.5" HDD connected to a regular motherboard. Someone please help me.

All I want is No internal HDD. Just tell me how to do it. Which will be the best option for me. Speed is not as big a factor. Durability, Size, and life are more important.

Is windows a must? You could use any linux live CD. There might be a windows live cd as well, but I'm not sure about that.

Well here goes....:)
This is a video of building a home NAS server....

The guy uses a Linux OS which is a 32 mb OS from flash drive.....:eek:hyeah:
He uses IDE to USB converter and uses the flsh drive.....

Hope it helps....
Found the video while looking for NAS servers and building a home server

YouTube - Building your own back up system NAS

vNerd said:
You could the Voyager GT, the 32GB one, and boot XP off it, but it will cost nearly 16k.

Too costly for me. But I can get the 8 GB one if available for around 4000. Also my biggest trouble is how will I make it removable. I cant open up the cabinet, unplug the sata cables everyday.

Also Linux wont work as I`ll be using a custom made software which will run only on XP.

I assume u want Xp on it.

1. EeePc or the Wind so u can carry around.

2. Get this:

http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deals-and-discussions/vantec-icy-dock-35-all-inclusive-111672.html

eSATA/USB enclosure. Plug in a 3.5 if u want or even a 2.5" SATA drive :eek:hyeah: So long as ur ok with a SATA drive u can lock up somewhere separately :p Just plug in the drive and voila......ur set.

Cons: Cannot carry around the drive ( U can carry the 2.5" tho).

Pros: Same performance as normal SATA drives..... :cool2:

I had installed xp on my 2 gb buffalo flash drive. Xp was a little slow and had some issues with daemon tools, other than that it worked fine.

MacFanBoy said:
Too costly for me. But I can get the 8 GB one if available for around 4000. Also my biggest trouble is how will I make it removable. I cant open up the cabinet, unplug the sata cables everyday.

Also Linux wont work as I`ll be using a custom made software which will run only on XP.

you can try using Windows XP live CD with pre installed softwares of your choice.

here's a guide on how to make one;)

instant fundas: How to create Windows XP Live CD, complete with preinstalled programs

along with that based on your requirements and budget,you can either use a portable laptop hard disk with casing (40/80gb) or 8 GB flash drive to save your work/data.

hope this works for you.

do tell us incase you try it.:hap2:

although a good option, I am unsure that you can just install any software you would like on this, I think there are only specific pieces of software you can install which you need to download plugins for.

Hacker said:
I had installed xp on my 2 gb buffalo flash drive. Xp was a little slow and had some issues with daemon tools, other than that it worked fine.

how u do that ????

either teach me or give me a image of ur drive :bleh: :huh:

encrypt the install with truecrypt. You leave all your data behind, but no one can make heads or tails of the data until they hold a gun to your head and make you spit out the key.

I tried the ngine.de trick. But for some reason I couldnt boot XP from the the external hard drive. I can boot in to the safe mode but not in the full mode. In the safe mode too it gives me error that page file cant be created.

BTW is the 2.5" eSata plus USB enclosure available in India. I tried but nobody in Nehru Place had an idea what eSata was. They all tried to make me buy regular USB case for SATA HDD.

-Where can I find one?

-Also will I need a new pci card to add eSata to my computer? The motherboard has four SATA ports on it BTW.

-And will that PCI card work even with a computer which doesnt even have a SATA port on the mother board?

MacFanBoy said:
If all else fails I`ll simply open up the CPU cabinet and pull the sata cables out of the box. And then just attach a 2.5" HDD when I need to work and pull it out once I m done. OOPS I dont even know if I can use a 1.8" or 2.5" HDD connected to a regular motherboard. Someone please help me.

I didn't want a permanent optical drive in my low power consumption box so I did exactly that. I used one of these integrated cables (since I didn't want an external USB/e-Sata drive that also depends on another power source). Now on the rare occasion that I use the optical drive, I just connect it and remove it when done. Of course, I could connect another SATA device when warranted.

Also, OCZ has announced affordable and fast SSD drives available next month. That would solve the problem of reliability if you can get your hands on one.

MacFanBoy said:
I tried the ngine.de trick. But for some reason I couldnt boot XP from the the external hard drive. I can boot in to the safe mode but not in the full mode. In the safe mode too it gives me error that page file cant be created.

BTW is the 2.5" eSata plus USB enclosure available in India. I tried but nobody in Nehru Place had an idea what eSata was. They all tried to make me buy regular USB case for SATA HDD.

-Where can I find one?

-Also will I need a new pci card to add eSata to my computer? The motherboard has four SATA ports on it BTW.

-And will that PCI card work even with a computer which doesnt even have a SATA port on the mother board?

eSATA connects too internal motherboard SATA ports, so ur ok. All u need is an eSATA bracket to fit in the back of ur case :)

Dunno if there are any 2.5" eSATA tho. Usually only the larger mybooks etc have it :)

Back