Camera Help me buy a Camera!!

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
I am so confused between the following cameras.

I don't want a SLR right now, as I am not too much into photography (yet ;)), or ready to go fully manual and start tweaking my imaging just yet.

The following cameras caught my attention as these will allow me to grow with the camera. That is my aim right now, to capture my life and surroundings with clarity, and to keep learning more and more about cameras and photography.

So here are the shortlisted candidates for my next purchase :eek:hyeah: -

1) Canon PowerShot SX200 IS

Canon PowerShot SX200 IS digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

2) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H10 OUT OF CONTENTION

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H10 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

3) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50 OUT OF CONTENTION

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

4) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1(TZ6)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

5) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3(TZ7)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Due to popular demand, I am adding one more -

6) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072704panafz38.asp

All these cameras are around $300-400, and that is my budget. So if you guys have any other cameras in mind, please consider the budget as well.

Pour in your views, opinions and suggestions friends.

Phoenix, among the ones listed, TZ7 is better than SX200. Don't know about the Sonys though.

And yeah, if you don't mid the bulk, the FZ35 suggested by Kippu is great! I got one last week at 19.7k grey in BLR.

I think the ZS1 and the ZS3 are excellent choices. They are compact and have very good image quality.

If you have a large screen, the ZS3 is good as it records HD videos.

Making your choice easy..

Firstly eradicate the choice of H10 and H50...

Not that they are bad...but they are not great...

Then include one more in your choice - Panasonic FZ28/35...

Now decide whether you want a compact zoom camera with wide angle..

or a good sized superzoom camera with loads of feature...

If ur choice is compact, go for TZ7, or SX200...

Both are good...but TZ7 is 3mm wider... a better choice than SX200 for landscapers..

If U want a good for in tele FL and r in wildlife and sporting, go for the second choice and just buy a panasonic FZ28 or FZ35...FZ35 is an upgrade to 28..

go for anyone which fits your budget better..

kippu said:
panasonic fz35 ...:)

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

WickedTA said:
Phoenix, among the ones listed, TZ7 is better than SX200. Don't know about the Sonys though.

And yeah, if you don't mid the bulk, the FZ35 suggested by Kippu is great! I got one last week at 19.7k grey in BLR.

Thanks. I am removing both the Sony cameras from that list, as the FZ35 is beating them both in terms of features as well as price. :) Any suggestions for a good deal on the FZ 35? ebay minimum going price is 20k. I'll talk to some of the local dealers. I really don't want to go grey :hap5: (unless of course there is no harm in it. Is there? ) Oh and since you are using it, have you ever faced any battery crisis? Is it long lasting? I hope I never run into a situation where I am stuck with a dead camera because of unavailable proprietary Li-ion battery! Do you recommend buying a spare?

Ragin_Ice said:
I think the ZS1 and the ZS3 are excellent choices. They are compact and have very good image quality.

If you have a large screen, the ZS3 is good as it records HD videos.

Thanks for your words. But now I am seriously tilting towards Panasonic FZ35. Although the ZS3 is a pretty good compact camera. :huh:

ashvarybabul said:
Making your choice easy..

Firstly eradicate the choice of H10 and H50...

Not that they are bad...but they are not great...

Then include one more in your choice - Panasonic FZ28/35...

Now decide whether you want a compact zoom camera with wide angle..

or a good sized superzoom camera with loads of feature...

If ur choice is compact, go for TZ7, or SX200...

Both are good...but TZ7 is 3mm wider... a better choice than SX200 for landscapers..

If U want a good for in tele FL and r in wildlife and sporting, go for the second choice and just buy a panasonic FZ28 or FZ35...FZ35 is an upgrade to 28..

go for anyone which fits your budget better..

Thanks a ton for all your words mate. The Sonys are out, and the FZ 28/35 are in. Like I said in the OP, I want a camera that will let me grow with it and into it. I want to learn to play around with some settings before I consider anything bigger. Although the TZ7 is a great camera, but it pales besides the FZ 35. The HD video recording on both the Pannys is awesome. But from what I have seen over the net, the shots taken with the FZ 35 are far better and sharper than TZ7.

And to answer the question, I want a megazoom camera with a good amount of features rather than be stuck with a good point and shoot without too many features.

In that regards, my decision is almost made. I want the FZ 35! :clap::hap2: Now going to look for a good deal. Any suggestions?

var89 said:
IMO cosider Canon S9. Really good point and shoot camera.

I think you mean the Nikon Coolpix S9. Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I am not buying a 6.1 MP point and shoot for almost the same price as the Panasonic TZ7.:rofl:

WickedTA said:

Hello All,

I am a new member to this forum. To "WickedTA" , as you have mentioned you purchased FZ35 from Bangalore. I too am from Bangalore, and wanted to know where you bought it from and when did u get it. Is the camera working fine as its reviews, because I am very sceptical buying stuff from grey market..I am very much interested in FZ35. Please do reply.

You can also contact me on saqibnaj@gmail.com

PS: I have contacted the local panasonic brandshops and they are quoting it somewhere btn 28k to 30k [3 yrs manftr warrnty]. ALso checked on ebay, which is at 20k, but it has dealers warranty :-(

Please let me know where I can get a better deal in bangalore. I can afford a max about 22-23k.

Thanks in advance.

@phoenix: I haven't used the cam enough to figure out the battery life yet, but the reviews show that it's not something to worry about. And I think var89 was actually referring to the new Canon S90 which is a great camera. It's essentially the soul of the Canon G11 in a slimmer body and a much faster lens. This lens + larger sensor + lower resolution (10MP) of the S90 will give you much better pictures compared to the FZ35, but you'll lose out on the huge zoom and 720p video if that's important to you. S90 also costs ~50 USD more.

@saqibnaj: Contact Jayesh Mehta of Foto Circle. You can google his name for reviews / reputation checks and mobile number.

@Anish: The SX20 is the closest alternative to the FZ35 and the camera that I really wanted to buy, but the Canons in general have a severe purple fringing issue (purple line/halo at high contrast edges. The SX20 additionally has green line/halo issues) as well as higher barrel distortion than the FZ35 (in particular). SX20 is 50% heavier than FZ35.

The biggest negative I've seen in the FZ35 is that the images look more grainy than the SX20's when pixel-peeping.

I ve ordered the Sx20 IS. :p

Yep, I've read about the purple fringing, but it happens only with 800ISO and 1600ISO (max), I dont think those ISO levels are used on a frequent basis, aye?

i took 300- 400 images and some videos till he battery went out....add also ,reviewing the pics...so it worked a lot

purple fringing exists here also,esp if you take a pic against the light

in the end,just go get it already :p

+1 to FZ35..

purple fringing could not be avoided in ~24K camera...

Canon makes DO optics to nullify the Chromatic aberration..

and the 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 DO IS which cost double the 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS...

So it is certainly not possible to get rid of it in a 24K camera..

Guys, I am in such a dilemma!

First of all, thank you all for your suggestions. I was so very decided on the FZ35. Then that thought came back to haunt me. That thought, the one that made me start on this journey. I want a good camera that will also fit into my pocket (I have big pockets :p).

Because of that I first homed in on the Canon SX200 IS, but soon found out that it gets left far behind by similarly priced and spec'd Panasonics. The FZ 35 was "it" for me. The only thing pulling me back is its size. I don't want a huge camera guys, one that I will have lug around in a separate hand bag sized bag.

But then will life be the same without the FZ35? :(

Someone, please say that the TZ7 is as good a camera, and that it meets my requirements! Please....someone.....

OK, theatrics apart, please tell me the advantages of lugging around a huge FZ 35 as my day to day point and shoot, general use camera. Apart from the mega zoom, why shouldn't I go for the Panasonic TZ7? It has very good reviews all over the net, and it is good value for money too. Best of all it packs all that and yet fits into a pocket, which IMO is any beginner's first requirement, right?

I guess I am more or less going for the TZ7, and maybe the FZ will be my next.

I will tell you a funny incident..........

My trekker friend, took around a month to decide the best camera. He finally got the S3IS ( back then)

Then immediately he left for uttranchal. HE got sick of carrying the camera around his neck!

He wasnt an enthusiast and all he did was point and shoot.

On one occasion, while rappling down a cliff, the view was amazing and he wanted to take a snap, but cudnt as he didnt carry it with him for the fear of the camera getting hit against the rock. Next to him, a girl removed her super slim sony cam, took a shot and proceeded to descend......he felt so fcuked in the head that day......lol

Moral of the story is ask yourself questions before you go after the best bang for the buck or image quality.

Dude, get the Panny (TZ7) already ! :p

If the reviews are good and YOU LIKE IT, don't let anything stop you.

If portability is a concern, make no exceptions.

Ragin_Ice said:
On one occasion, while rappling down a cliff, the view was amazing and he wanted to take a snap, but cudnt as he didnt carry it with him for the fear of the camera getting hit against the rock. Next to him, a girl removed her super slim sony cam, took a shot and proceeded to descend......he felt so fcuked in the head that day......lol

Here's one more...

I personally had an advantage (with my TZ14) over two of my friends with their Nikon dSLRs while at Rohtang Pass (Manali).

They had to leave behind their cameras in the car, while there I was clicking away to glory whilst enjoying the snow.

End of the day, the portable P&S camera brought back pics of our first experience with snow.

:)

Ragin_Ice said:
I will tell you a funny incident..........

My trekker friend, took around a month to decide the best camera. He finally got the S3IS ( back then)

Then immediately he left for uttranchal. HE got sick of carrying the camera around his neck!

He wasnt an enthusiast and all he did was point and shoot.

Moral of the story is ask yourself questions before you go after the best bang for the buck or image quality.

thetoxicmind said:
Dude, get the Panny (TZ7) already ! :p
If the reviews are good and YOU LIKE IT, don't let anything stop you.

If portability is a concern, make no exceptions.
Here's one more...

I personally had an advantage (with my TZ14) over two of my friends with their Nikon dSLRs while at Rohtang Pass (Manali).
They had to leave behind their cameras in the car, while there I was clicking away to glory whilst enjoying the snow.
End of the day, the portable P&S camera brought back pics of our first experience with snow.

:)

Thanks guys for your kind words. LOL. I sure wouldn't want to get caught in such a situation at all!

Come December and my next paycheck is funding the TZ7. Have any ideas for killer deals on it? Some of the local dealers haven't even heard of this camera. LOL :rofl:

Back