Help me choose an Android Mobile below 15K

-=Unreal=-

Disciple
Jan 27, 2009
Hi guys please help me choose my first Android mobile below 14k, currently using n82

Please see the answers to the questionnaire below:

1. Q: Budget?
A: 12-15k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar (full touch Android)

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Should have very Good touch screen and scratch resistant and above 3.5 inch

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No micromax,spice etc..

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Front/back camera not important/required

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
[FONT=Verdana, Segoe UI, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A: Internet,Reading,texting, occasional youtube video, small games[/FONT]

10. Q: Any other requirements?
[FONT=Verdana, Segoe UI, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A: Need a screen that doesn't get scratched easily(vry important) + Dont require dual sims [/FONT]

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Motorola defy Plus, Sony Xperia Sola(with no warranty frm ebay)

Thanks in advance!!

adaneam

Adept
Mar 3, 2011
Check out his budget dude

The reason I mentioned price in the bracket dude! It's a steal at 20k if he can stretch his budget in case he is not aware.

- - - Updated - - -

@adameam, where can we find a Galaxy Nexus @ 20k in India?
Many shops in Mumbai are selling Nexus for 19500. Check the galaxy nexus thread. Many people have bought it. On ebay it is available for 21k. Apply 5/10% coupons and you can bring down the price to 20k.

-=Unreal=-

Disciple
Jan 27, 2009
thanks for the replys guys,, but cant go over 15k and also need a compact phone which will easily slip into jeans pocket, is xperia sola good enough for that kind of handling? i mean will its screen gets scratched easily if one is not using screen guard with it?
I am not a rough handler but will be putting it in and out of jeans pocket and riding bikes.
(i don't want to use screen guard)

-=Unreal=- if you are open to purchase from eBay.in then the following should be on your hitlist --
  • SONY XPERIA Sola
  • SONY XPERIA go (as good as the MOTOROLA DEFY with better specs)
xperia Go is good but it only have 3.5 inch screen and resolution is also low compared to defy.

The no warranty xperia sola sold by Power sellers in ebay.in are brand new phones? Its not sealed packed i guess, why so? why they want to check it before sending, sony would have already checked it right?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
xperia Go is good but it only have 3.5 inch screen and resolution is also low compared to defy.

The no warranty xperia sola sold by Power sellers in ebay.in are brand new phones? Its not sealed packed i guess, why so? why they want to check it before sending, sony would have already checked it right?

I understand the go does not have the best screen but it is just as hard as the Defy and more importantly will get a stock update to Jelly Bean (at-least), whilst to get same on the latter device you will need to root it.

These are parallel import devices, next only to literally smuggling these into our country.

So they try to cut their losses by checking the device (basic functions) before sending it over. Also incase of any issues they need to replace a faulty piece(s) from their own stock and this means lowered margins.

Hope this explains. Cheerio!

-=Unreal=-

Disciple
Jan 27, 2009
^thx for the detailed reply

So i finally i have to decide between these two 'xperia go' or 'defy plus'

which one will be better? xperia go have advantage like better hardware where as defy can be rooted if one wants to, i recently checked xperia go in a store even though it have 3.5 inch screen it appeared smaller than my friends iphone 3gs screen, why so?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
which one will be better? xperia go have advantage like better hardware where as defy can be rooted if one wants to, i recently checked xperia go in a store even though it have 3.5 inch screen it appeared smaller than my friends iphone 3gs screen, why so?

^^ Because of its overall dimensions being smaller than the iPhone 3GS.

It is slimmer, lighter and stockier. The screen is equivalent and it holds its own and is not a wash-out, decently detailed with rich colours.

http://versusio.com/en/sony-xperia-go-vs-apple-iphone-3gs-8gb

Reactions: 1 person

saurabha26may

Disciple
Sep 20, 2012
Hyderabad
Sony Xperia J would be goo option if you can streach your budget a little bit by 1000. It is available for preorder on Flipkart for Rs. 16500 with 500 discount coupons. If you search hard you might get it for Rs. 15000. Or go thru some of the shops shops nearby your place you might get it for your budget.

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
I won't recommend the Defy plus. Motorola is pulling out of India & there will be serious service-related issues. Plus you'll be stuck with Android 2.3.

Also get a phone with warranty. If you cannot afford the Sola, look out for Xperia U. If you can live with 4GB (+2GB for apps) of memory, it is one of the best phone in the budget (I'm currently using it).

All 2012 Sony models come with scratch-resistant glass which can handle normal daily usage. I still recommend a screen guard, once it is installed, it makes no difference in screen quality.

-=Unreal=-

Disciple
Jan 27, 2009
I won't recommend the Defy plus. Motorola is pulling out of India & there will be serious service-related issues. Plus you'll be stuck with Android 2.3.

Also get a phone with warranty. If you cannot afford the Sola, look out for Xperia U. If you can live with 4GB (+2GB for apps) of memory, it is one of the best phone in the budget (I'm currently using it).

All 2012 Sony models come with scratch-resistant glass which can handle normal daily usage. I still recommend a screen guard, once it is installed, it makes no difference in screen quality.
thx for replying, there is a motorola service center in my city atleast for now, they said service center will function as usual.

My final decision was between Sola , GO and defy plus,, all @13k, choose defy because it supports rooting,, but i was little late for ordering and it seems all stores are out of stock,, since motorola is pulling out from India do you think its gona come back on sale in online stores like flipcart? any guess?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Sony Xperia J would be goo option if you can streach your budget a little bit by 1000. It is available for preorder on Flipkart for Rs. 16500 with 500 discount coupons. If you search hard you might get it for Rs. 15000. Or go thru some of the shops shops nearby your place you might get it for your budget.

Not worth it, the hardware is pathetic. The Defy Plus is cheaper and the build quality is robust. And being a new phone the development scene is also slow to catch up; in-fact most SONY XPERIA are not to well supported at XDA.

Here you go, infibeam has it in stock --> Motorola 535 Defy XT Price in India, Buy Motorola 535 Defy XT, Reviews & Features, Motorola Mobiles India - Infibeam.com.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

-=Unreal=-

Disciple
Jan 27, 2009
I bought Motorola defy plus few days ago, this is my first android mobile, was using n82 earlier.

One thing i find really annoying is that i have to press the power button at the top to turn on the screen, which i feel is an ergonomic disaster, unlocking ancient nokia 1100 was way more easier. Any solution guys?